The Student Room Group

Sick of being shamed for wearing shorts!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CatL8
This is less of question, more of a rant because my day has honestly been ruined by this. Feel free to comment your experiences/opinions.

I decided today to wear shorts and a high neck sleeveless top which, similar to what I've been wearing for the past 2 weeks since it is very hot (which we're all aware of). All that was on show were my arms and legs.

I've had multiple comments today about my shorts (pictured), how they are "too short", "revealing", the can see my "cheeky bits", how I'm "asking for it" by wearing them and that I can't complain if guys harass/perv on me etc.

I find it extremely frustrating as I am simply dressing for the weather, for my comfort and MYSELF, and I still struggle to understand why people cannot accept that my body is a body - not an object for them to constantly criticise. If a man decides to take his shirt off in hot weather, no-one bats an eye - but OH MY GOD a woman in shorts! How dare she???

I have experienced serious harassment from men in the past, none of these situations had any correlation with how much skin I had on show. For example, in the middle of winter I was waiting for my bus to work. I was fully dressed in boots, jeans, a raincoat, hat and scarf and yet still a man advanced on me, ignored my multiple rejections and tried to follow me to work. I was f*cking terrified.

Why do we still have to deal with this kind of attitude?

shorts.jpg

Those are the same length as my running shorts and I have black denim shorts that are even shorter than the ones you are wearing. That is nowhere near that short. Those men who were criticising what you wearing are clearly just trying to deflect from the fact that they are pervs. I see people dress like this all the time.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Rant away! Don't make yourself uncomfortable just because some people can't control their sexual urges.

Her concerns are entirely justified. People who can’t control their sexual urges ought to be locked up, e.g. paedophiles and rapists. Her discomfort is not a result of her behaviour / dress sense (ie totally practical and sensible), but rather of the harassment by other men. I think this was made quite clear in her post. Having sexual urges is not an excuse for their behaviour.
Original post by Rachmaninov
Her concerns are entirely justified. People who can’t control their sexual urges ought to be locked up, e.g. paedophiles and rapists. Her discomfort is not a result of her behaviour / dress sense (ie totally practical and sensible), but rather of the harassment by other men. I think this was made quite clear in her post. Having sexual urges is not an excuse for their behaviour.

You've misunderstood my post. I was saying that she shouldn't wear clothes she is uncomfortable in (e.g. trousers in hot weather) just to make other people who can't control their behaviour happy.
Original post by sabnas
Like who's commented- random people in the street ?

Nobody, it's a troll thread.
I say this as a red-blooded male with the sex drive of a bonobo monkey - there's nothing sexually appealing about those shorts, whatsoever.
Original post by DrawTheLine
You've misunderstood my post. I was saying that she shouldn't wear clothes she is uncomfortable in (e.g. trousers in hot weather) just to make other people who can't control their behaviour happy.

Ohhhhh I’m so sorry. I see what you mean.
Reply 26
They are proper shorts as well! Not like those denim-knicker short things some women like to wear >.< Yeah I can completely agree that there was no need for others to make any comments about how YOU dress. Its stupid these things still happen, sorry for your bad experience anyway.
Original post by CatL8
This is less of question, more of a rant because my day has honestly been ruined by this. Feel free to comment your experiences/opinions.

I decided today to wear shorts and a high neck sleeveless top which, similar to what I've been wearing for the past 2 weeks since it is very hot (which we're all aware of). All that was on show were my arms and legs.

I've had multiple comments today about my shorts (pictured), how they are "too short", "revealing", the can see my "cheeky bits", how I'm "asking for it" by wearing them and that I can't complain if guys harass/perv on me etc.

I find it extremely frustrating as I am simply dressing for the weather, for my comfort and MYSELF, and I still struggle to understand why people cannot accept that my body is a body - not an object for them to constantly criticise. If a man decides to take his shirt off in hot weather, no-one bats an eye - but OH MY GOD a woman in shorts! How dare she???

I have experienced serious harassment from men in the past, none of these situations had any correlation with how much skin I had on show. For example, in the middle of winter I was waiting for my bus to work. I was fully dressed in boots, jeans, a raincoat, hat and scarf and yet still a man advanced on me, ignored my multiple rejections and tried to follow me to work. I was f*cking terrified.

Why do we still have to deal with this kind of attitude?

shorts.jpg

Ok lets just agree that no matter what happens, men will look at girls. But alot of men would look at girls from a horny perspective because they cant control their hormonal issues, it may also depend on the region you live in. Alot of people may use religion or culture to justify why you shouldn't wear shorts. If you really cant take it anymore why dont you just go and confront whoeveer is talking about you or shaming you. Yyoull feel more confident and that will be one less person talking about you!
Original post by CatL8
I doubt very much my brother will go out in football shorts and topless, and receive comments from old women, saying "ooo I can see everything", wolf whistles and the like.

If he had a good physique he would though.
I don't know that people being prudish is associated with the idea that you are unfairly tempting men who can't control themselves. The people who are prudish and the ones harassing you are likely in distinct camps; "not an object for them to constantly criticise" (and the comments of others) seems to be saying the people who make prudish comments are necessarily part of the sexual objectification lot.

Though it does not apply here, I think there is a fair right for people to be prudish. That is, they can internally be unhappy or repulsed by the way others dress, and sometimes externally. I don't think this makes them a creep, nor do I think it is premised on the idea that "men cannot control their sexual hunger" as people seem to think. There is a level of indecency which I think many normal people would object to, which the summer weather seemingly excuses. I know I have seen many attention seekers with their tits and flaps barely hanging on for the ride; I shake my head not because I see them as a sexual object but because I pity them for not wanting to be more than something others can gawk at and objectify.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 30
Is that what you were wearing? That outfit looks like the last resort of a lost property bin. :wink:
Even if they are revealing, you reserve the right to wear whatever you want provided it isn't obscene. I love it when girls wear shorts, the shorts in the picture look really nice :biggrin:
this is what women do to each other and why I have told you all multiples times that women are not needed. they bring nothing, do nothing, and scratch each other's eyes out grasping to get a man who can support, protect and finance them.
Original post by ohdearstudying
unless you’re really fat those shorts are fine and shouldn’t draw any attention.

men just need to learn not every bum needs to be touched or gawked at and can be left happily alone.

apologies for this on behalf of men like wtf we’re so weird

or maybe its not us with the problem here.. every story has two sides
jus sayn
Original post by snugglebear
this is what women do to each other and why I have told you all multiples times that women are not needed. they bring nothing, do nothing, and scratch each other's eyes out grasping to get a man who can support, protect and finance them.

Sexist as ****! Who do you know like that?
Original post by Luke5125
Sexist as ****! Who do you know like that?

aww have we got a white knight to the rescue. how cute. I know plenty women like that, most of them, it's evolution, they can't help it. they desperately need a man for protection so resort to removing the competition. keep up your white knighting ways and they might sleep with you but many of them are just after the protection your wallet brings.
Reply 36
Original post by sabnas
Like who's commented- random people in the street ?

Yeah people in the street, got shouted at the other day and wolf-whistled. Some family members making comments as well it's just annoying.
Reply 37
Original post by Wilfred Little
Nobody, it's a troll thread.

I mean call me a troll but it's amazing to me that you think I would make this sh*t up. If you think I'm a troll why waste your time commenting?
Reply 38
Original post by Notoriety
I don't know that people being prudish is associated with the idea that you are unfairly tempting men who can't control themselves. The people who are prudish and the ones harassing you are likely in distinct camps; "not an object for them to constantly criticise" (and the comments of others) seems to be saying the people who make prudish comments are necessarily part of the sexual objectification lot.

Though it does not apply here, I think there is a fair right for people to be prudish. That is, they can internally be unhappy or repulsed by the way others dress, and sometimes externally. I don't think this makes them a creep, nor do I think it is premised on the idea that "men cannot control their sexual hunger" as people seem to think. There is a level of indecency which I think many normal people would object to, which the summer weather seemingly excuses. I know I have seen many attention seekers with their tits and flaps barely hanging on for the ride; I shake my head not because I see them as a sexual object but because I pity them for not wanting to be more than something others can gawk at and objectify.

That's interesting, I never thought of it that way. I guess if people don't like it because they think it's tacky - ofc they're entitled to think that, people have different tastes.

In this situation, I'm not trying to dictate what people should think, I'm more concerned with the sexual comments "she's asking for it", as that could lead to far worse things, e.g. assault, even rape tbh. It's a dangerous attitude for people to have in my opinion.
Reply 39
Original post by snugglebear

LOL nice one

Quick Reply

Latest