The Student Room Group

Teacher training 2019

Hello everyone,
I want to start teacher training/PGCE in 2019 but I won't finish my current degree until September 2019. Does anyone know if I would be able to apply for teacher training despite finishing my degree so late? I really don't want to have a gap year as i've already taken one.
When (which month) do teacher training programmes normally start?

Thank you in advance.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Teacher121
Hello everyone,
I want to start teacher training/PGCE in 2019 but I won't finish my current degree until September 2018. Does anyone know if I would be able to apply for teacher training despite finishing my degree so late? I really don't want to have a gap year as i've already taken one.

Thank you in advance.

Ucas usually open at the end of October, think it was something like 28th this year so you should be fine to apply. To be honest I know people who applied this year even though they didn’t finish their degree until June.
Hello everyone,
I want to start teacher training/PGCE in 2019 but I won't finish my current degree until September 2018. Does anyone know if I would be able to apply for teacher training despite finishing my degree so late? I really don't want to have a gap year as i've already taken one.

Thank you in advance.

That won't be a problem - many people apply before getting their degree, in the final year of their degree (myself included, in a few months' time). Teachers training will start in September 2019, in most cases (though some may have induction in July 2019), and applications will open on UCAS circa 25th October 2018.

Edit: OP edited their post so ignore this
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance.

That is not late . You have a year to work on your
Skills tests and pass them in March / May .
Reply 4
Original post by Blbrown2
That is not late . You have a year to work on your
Skills tests and pass them in March / May .

Sorry I just realised I've got my years wrong there. I finish my degree in September 2019 and that would mean if I did my PGCE straight after it I would start my PGCE in September 2019 too. Don't universities normally ask you to give your results in when applying?
Reply 5
Original post by misslh
Ucas usually open at the end of October, think it was something like 28th this year so you should be fine to apply. To be honest I know people who applied this year even though they didn’t finish their degree until June.

Thanks for your reply! I made a mistake in my original question, I meant to say that my degree finishes in September 2019 (not 2018). Do UCAS not ask for degree classifications/results when you apply? Because otherwise in my case I wouldn't have any results to give when I apply.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by doctorwhofan98
That won't be a problem - many people apply before getting their degree, in the final year of their degree (myself included, in a few months' time). Teachers training will start in September 2019, in most cases (though some may have induction in July 2019), and applications will open on UCAS circa 25th October 2018.

Thanks for the reply! Is it better to apply as soon as possible or is it ok to leave it till a bit later on in the year? I've never done a full Ucas Application hence all the questions!
Thanks for the reply! Is it better to apply as soon as possible or is it ok to leave it till a bit later on in the year? I've never done a full Ucas Application hence all the questions!

It's worth applying as soon as you can, once applications open. It's essentially 'first come, first served' - if a provider gets enough applicants that they're happy to accept, they'll close, whether that's in December 2018 or June 2019. It isn't easier to get in if you apply early - if you were a bad applicant they won't let you in regardless of timing - but it's wise to apply as early as you can.

And I just saw your other question: no, you don't need to enter a final degree grade. Your academic reference will include a prediction though.
Reply 8
Sorry I just realised I've got my years wrong there. I finish my degree in September 2019 and that would mean if I did my PGCE straight after it I would start my PGCE in September 2019 too. Don't universities normally ask you to give your results in when applying?

So you will finish in june and not September . You get your results by July that should be okay .
Reply 9
Original post by Blbrown2
So you will finish in june and not September . You get your results by July that should be okay .

No i'll finish is September so won't get my results until October maybe or even later?
No i'll finish is September so won't get my results until October maybe or even later?

You edited your post! You originally said that you were finishing your degree in September 2018, which would be fine for September 2019 entry for teacher training. But finishing your degree in September 2019 might cause problems, as the course itself will start in early September and they'll need your results before then - as you need a degree to do teacher training. Either get into contact with Get Into Teaching, or email a few providers that you're interested in, and ask whether your situation is acceptable for 2019 entry. I wouldn't be surprised if you're only eligible for 2020 entry (onwards) - maybe consider getting a job as a TA for the 2019-2020 academic year?
(edited 5 years ago)

Okay you have to go to unviersity 2020/2021 . As that will be too late.
That would be too late, I think. Most PGCE start in September due to the length of the course being quite long. How come it does not finish till so late in the year?
Reply 13
You edited your post! You originally said that you were finishing your degree in September 2018, which would be fine for September 2019 entry for teacher training. But finishing your degree in September 2019 might cause problems, as the course itself will start in early September and they'll need your results before then - as you need a degree to do teacher training. Either get into contact with Get Into Teaching, or email a few providers that you're interested in, and ask whether your situation is acceptable for 2019 entry. I wouldn't be surprised if you're only eligible for 2020 entry (onwards) - maybe consider getting a job as a TA for the 2019-2020 academic year?

Yes I did edit my post. I thought I would edit it so that anyone else who gives their input has the correct info. Thank you for the tips, I will start working on it
Reply 14
Original post by Sceptical_John
That would be too late, I think. Most PGCE start in September due to the length of the course being quite long. How come it does not finish till so late in the year?

My last module starts late in February and doesn't finish till early September 2019
My last module starts late in February and doesn't finish till early September 2019

I have the same problem (I finish in January so I have to apply for 2019 start). However, check with the University as mine would have let me start in September if my results were available from mid September.
Hello everyone,
I want to start teacher training/PGCE in 2019 but I won't finish my current degree until September 2019. Does anyone know if I would be able to apply for teacher training despite finishing my degree so late? I really don't want to have a gap year as i've already taken one.

Thank you in advance.

In the same position as you.
Applications open in around October 2018 so you can start applying then :smile:
Hi, I'm also wanting to apply for teacher training next September. I graduated in July of this year and I have previously volunteered with a tutoring charity. I am in the process of getting some mainstream experience but I do have a couple of questions about the application process: - Do I need to pass my literacy and numeracy tests before I apply or would before I start be ok? - Would it be ok to apply for one university led course and two school direct courses? - I want to teach secondary history, would I need to have done primary as well as secondary work experience? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Original post by Beth1597
Hi, I'm also wanting to apply for teacher training next September. I graduated in July of this year and I have previously volunteered with a tutoring charity. I am in the process of getting some mainstream experience but I do have a couple of questions about the application process: - Do I need to pass my literacy and numeracy tests before I apply or would before I start be ok? - Would it be ok to apply for one university led course and two school direct courses? - I want to teach secondary history, would I need to have done primary as well as secondary work experience? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Hey, we've got a more active thread you might want to join: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5496294.

As for your questions... you need to have started your UCAS application before you can book your skills tests, and you must have submitted your application, including both references, before you can take the tests. Some providers might want you to have booked them by the time you sit an interview, but you can't sit them, or indeed book them, until UCAS has at least been started.

Yes, you can apply for any combination of types of courses. You could do one SCITT, one Schools Direct, and one university-led PGCE if you want to!

Nope, you won't need primary experience at this stage. Your provider might request you get a week or two, but that'd definitely be after an offer and it might even form the first two weeks of the course, if you even need it. Just secondary experience with History would be sufficient, and if it's across multiple key stages that's even better.
Hey, we've got a more active thread you might want to join: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5496294.

As for your questions... you need to have started your UCAS application before you can book your skills tests, and you must have submitted your application, including both references, before you can take the tests. Some providers might want you to have booked them by the time you sit an interview, but you can't sit them, or indeed book them, until UCAS has at least been started.

Yes, you can apply for any combination of types of courses. You could do one SCITT, one Schools Direct, and one university-led PGCE if you want to!

Nope, you won't need primary experience at this stage. Your provider might request you get a week or two, but that'd definitely be after an offer and it might even form the first two weeks of the course, if you even need it. Just secondary experience with History would be sufficient, and if it's across multiple key stages that's even better.

That's great thank you! So I can apply at the end of October, apply for my skills tests and they'll let me know what they want me to do in terms of experience?

Like I previously said, I've done some volunteering with a tutoring charity and I'm in the middle of arranging some secondary experience. How vital would you say experience is when it comes to gaining a place on a course?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending