The Student Room Group

Tips on passing Functional skills Maths level 2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Zumbaqueen
QUOTE=jesh40;78695766]Hi all, Ive got my maths city and guild level 2 next week.
anyone recently has done the exam?

Hi there! Yes I did my level two just over a week ago so I’m waiting to hear about my results.
My tip to you is just to make sure you read the questions properly and highlight all the important details ok.
Good luck!

Have you got your results yet?
Reply 41
Original post by jesh40
Hi all, Ive got my maths city and guild level 2 next week.
anyone recently has done the exam?

I did mine a week ago.
Reply 42
I did my today and managed to take all pic lol
received_10212351994571836.jpeg
Original post by jesh40

have you noticed that there is a serial number on your paper and you could be traced and disqualified if the examiners see this, lol
Reply 44
Original post by jesh40

We had to lock our phones away in a locker!! They're not allowed in the exam.
Reply 45
I got my "provisional" results today, whatever that means. 57% and a fail. I thought 57% was a pass. Why even tell me provisional results?! What does this even mean!
Original post by NattaN
I got my "provisional" results today, whatever that means. 57% and a fail. I thought 57% was a pass. Why even tell me provisional results?! What does this even mean!

My wife and I both took the Pearson Edexcel L2 Functional Maths in May. I passed with 88% and my wife with 67%. The pass mark was 60%. The National pass rate was only 39% so 61% of candidates were unsuccessful. The exam paper was much harder than any of the past papers I did. Time was the problem for me and working out what the examiner was after. The math skills required were easy enough. I had an excellent tutor who said the exam we took was "Nasty". I must admit I put a lot of effort in to it as I don't have a free standing L2 Maths Qual and wanted to make a point that I could do a bit of maths. We are no spring chickens and are 67 years old. From the research I have been doing both L2 Functional Maths and GCSE maths are getting more challenging. Something to do with "World Class" qualifications. We are starting the GCSE in Maths next year.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by NattaN

It means you were very close to passing. You only need 2 more marks and you would have smashed it. If they move the pass boundary you may get a pass. My tutor made us aware that the pass mark was 60%.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by The Ankh
It means you were very close to passing. You only need 2 more marks and you would have smashed it. If they move the pass boundary you may get a pass. My tutor made us aware that the pass mark was 60%.

Yep they told me the pass mark was 60% too. Depending on the individual exam, the pass mark can be 57-60% so it does fluctuate depending on how many people have passed it before or something confusing like that!! I hope that the "provisional" means they're re checking it or something, as to be so close to passing is a kick in the teeth when I'm expecting to go to uni in Sept 😩
Reply 49
hi, i need to do a functional skills maths and english lvl2 by september and have got lots of free time to revise, anyone know the best way to get qualifications quickly? eg; maybe online?

thanks
pau
Some colleges offer a 1 week intensive course.
Reply 51
I done mine at Intech Centre in London. They do FREE intensive courses where you can do it in 2-3 weeks time which also includes the free exam. I could not do this because i work full time so i paid £180 for online course and started from level 1 and done level 2. I paid £90 for the exam and passed it on my first attempt.I suggest you to look at their website because they have some youtube videos for samples papers.
Reply 52
Hi,

I did my functional skills level 2 in May and passed. I did it though Lancashire adult learning through city and guilds. I found doing practice papers over and over helped and only started in April on the course. I would say the best advice I have is read the question a few times and do the ones your most confident with first. I always found question 2 hardest so did 1 and 3 first then 2 last.

I hope this helps!

Gemma x
do you think functional skills will get me into university because I'm studying ict level 3computing and information technology for 2years and in 2020 I want to go to university to study HNC and HND so do you think they will accept me in for university.
Reply 54
Original post by Krystal1568)do you think functional skills will get me into university because I'm studying ict level 3computing and information technology for 2years and in 2020 I want to go to university to study HNC and HND so do you think they will accept me in for university.

hi, it got me into uni to study mental health nursing but you would have to check with the uni that you want to go to for the course you want to study.

hope that help so x
Original post by phislic
I done mine at Intech Centre in London. They do FREE intensive courses where you can do it in 2-3 weeks time which also includes the free exam. I could not do this because i work full time so i paid £180 for online course and started from level 1 and done level 2. I paid £90 for the exam and passed it on my first attempt.I suggest you to look at their website because they have some youtube videos for samples papers.

L2 Maths and English are funded by the Government. You should not have had to pay for tuition of the exam. I did L2 Maths and this year passed with 88%. I'm doing GCSE Maths and L2 Functional English with my local Councils Adult Skills & Community Learning.

I don't know how anyone can justify charging you when they get Government funding. I use to work for Colleges and training providers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by kelly-grace
Hi,

I have looked at taking functional skills maths level 2 with runway training that I found online. They said i could pass within 4-6 weeks if i put 3-4 hours per week study in. Has anyone used them before? And is this a realistic timescale for a possible pass? I am at GCSE grade D at the moment.

hi Kelly did you pass with runway ? and what was your experience as my sister wants to go with them howhen easy was it as they said they offer online one at a place convenient for you. any advice would be appreciated. thank you
Reply 57
How do you do the exam on line please
Original post by Mcraee
How do you do the exam on line please
I completed my Level 2 maths functional skills exam with Intech Centre based in Islington. They provided excellent support throughout to allow me to develop my skills to pass the exam. The exam is an online exam and you can do the course for free if you fit the criteria and have no similar qualifications, if you do not meet the criteria you can also pay to complete the course and the exam yourself. I would really recommend Intech Centre for functional skills courses and they tutors they have are so helpful and explain everything to you in an understandable way. If you want to do the online exam then i would recommend giving them a ring to get more information all the staff are very friendly and helpful.
Original post by Gemz86
Original post by Krystal1568)do you think functional skills will get me into university because I'm studying ict level 3computing and information technology for 2years and in 2020 I want to go to university to study HNC and HND so do you think they will accept me in for university.

hi, it got me into uni to study mental health nursing but you would have to check with the uni that you want to go to for the course you want to study.

hope that help so x

thanks. Gemz86

Quick Reply

Latest