The Student Room Group

How to get thicc?

I have a really fast metabolism and can't seem to put on weight, despite eating mostly junk food and the fact that the last time I properly exercised was about 5 years ago. Seems like the life, but it also means that i'm stuck pretty much eternally stick-thin. You could probably fit a boat through my thigh gap. I've always wanted bigger, fuller thighs but can't do so through weight gain, so is my only option to build up some muscle?

Is the main way to do this through squats? If so, how many would you suggest that I aim for in a day? I have 8kg dumbbells to help me out. I've also heard that I shouldn't be jogging, because this will only tone my legs and make them even thinner?

I'm an 18 y/o girl btw.
ONE HUNDRED KILOGRAMS?????????

I can barely lift 10kg lmao. It must take me like 8 years before I work up to that weight!

What do you suggest that i eat? Naturally I'd think that junk food would be the way to go to put on weight, or sugary foods, but I'm also not keen on having a heart attack.
Original post by Anygy

I can barely lift 10kg lmao. It must take me like 8 years before I work up to that weight!

What do you suggest that i eat? Naturally I'd think that junk food would be the way to go to put on weight, or sugary foods, but I'm also not keen on having a heart attack.

No idea where he got that from.
Original post by Anygy
I have a really fast metabolism and can't seem to put on weight, despite eating mostly junk food and the fact that the last time I properly exercised was about 5 years ago. Seems like the life, but it also means that i'm stuck pretty much eternally stick-thin. You could probably fit a boat through my thigh gap. I've always wanted bigger, fuller thighs but can't do so through weight gain, so is my only option to build up some muscle?

Is the main way to do this through squats? If so, how many would you suggest that I aim for in a day? I have 8kg dumbbells to help me out. I've also heard that I shouldn't be jogging, because this will only tone my legs and make them even thinner?

I'm an 18 y/o girl btw.

To put on muscle though, you need to put on weight - its not happening otherwise.(but not as in getting fat)

Up your protein intakee too from a variety of sources (so not just meat) and have Whey Protein too! Make sure you eat healthy and added to what said, you should get somewhere.

@CleverSquirrel may have some advice too add :smile:
Original post by Jack22031994
To put on muscle though, you need to put on weight - its not happening otherwise.(but not as in getting fat)

Up your protein intakee too from a variety of sources (so not just meat) and have Whey Protein too! Make sure you eat healthy and added to what @shameful_burrito said, you should get somewhere.

@CleverSquirrel may have some advice too add :smile:

Thanks for the advice! I feel like I'll be eating 24/7, because it truly is difficult for me to get bigger. During one week while our kitchen was down, I ate Mcdonalds pretty much three meals a day with snacks in between and my weight didn't change at all. So I guess my first problem - going by what you said - is how I can put on weight in the first place :colonhash:
Original post by Anygy

You don't just have to lift weights. There are sports you can do as well. I hate weights as I find them boring so now I do aerobics, exercises like planks, and today I went swimming.
Original post by Anygy
Thanks for the advice! I feel like I'll be eating 24/7, because it truly is difficult for me to get bigger. During one week while our kitchen was down, I ate Mcdonalds pretty much three meals a day with snacks in between and my weight didn't change at all. So I guess my first problem - going by what you said - is how I can put on weight in the first place :colonhash:

No problem :h: Yeah some people do find it hard, but working out will help, because the point of building muscle is to damage it so it grows back bigger and stronger and your body needs calories and protein to do that.

@CleverSquirrel will know more than me though as she's a PT!
I know that you are able to carry a lot more on your shoulders than on your arms, I've tried lifting weights but I'm naturally too skinny. Thin folks naturally have a harder time lifting than naturally fat ones.
Original post by Anygy

You don’t need to squat 100kg lmao that’s ridiculous for a woman who has never lifted... and I’m guessing you’re pretty tiny!

To answer your question the best thing to do is start building muscle and just eating more. Squats, lunges, glute bridges, RDLs and split squats are a good basis along with some other accessory work/machines. I’ve heard sprinting is good too. You do need to be eating a calorie surplus though to see much improvement. That doesn’t have to mean eating crap, just make your potions bigger and add a few calorie and protein dense snacks in. Plus peanut butter.

In terms of weights don’t worry about adding excessive amounts until you’ve got your form sorted. A kettle bell is cool for now but consider joining a gym if you want to take it further :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
You don’t need to squat 100kg lmao that’s ridiculous for a woman who has never lifted... and I’m guessing you’re pretty tiny!

To answer your question the best thing to do is start building muscle and just eating more. Squats, lunges, glute bridges, RDLs and split squats are a good basis along with some other accessory work/machines. I’ve heard sprinting is good too. You do need to be eating a calorie surplus though to see much improvement. That doesn’t have to mean eating crap, just make your potions bigger and add a few calorie and protein dense snacks in. Plus peanut butter.

In terms of weights don’t worry about adding excessive amounts until you’ve got your form sorted. A kettle bell is cool for now but consider joining a gym if you want to take it further :smile:

Thank you for the info :smile: This may seem like a random question, but is there any difference in going to the gym vs working out at home? I hate the prospect of working out in front of people, so would it be ok to just buy a bunch of weights and do them at home instead?
Original post by Anygy
Thank you for the info :smile: This may seem like a random question, but is there any difference in going to the gym vs working out at home? I hate the prospect of working out in front of people, so would it be ok to just buy a bunch of weights and do them at home instead?

Technically no, but you’re limited with what you can realistically fit into your house (unless you’ve got a mansion). To really start doing weights properly you’ll want a selection of different weights, dumbbells and a barbell with a squat rack which is pretty much impossible to replicate at home without a massive cost. Plus at the gym there are people around to make sure you don’t kill yourself! You can definitely make a good start working out at home and it’s far better than doing nothing but there will probably come a point when you outgrow it. Never worry about working out in front of others :smile: no one is looking at you.

Quick Reply

Latest