The Student Room Group

How can I fix a curved back?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z5W4nquAu9F7WHha6 not sure if this is a curved back or what. Some people saying because I am just slim and haven't got muscle concentrated in that area. I've been sitting up straight for weeks and nothing has happened. Tried the other exercises too they recommend not working. Really self concious about it anyone with any ideas or suggestions
How old are you? When you enter an adulthood it's physiologically impossible to curve your back. If you don't feel any pain, you shouldn't worry too much about it. Exercises are mostly for people who suffer from back pain, especially lower back.
Reply 2
Original post by LifeIsNotFair
How old are you? When you enter an adulthood it's physiologically impossible to curve your back. If you don't feel any pain, you shouldn't worry too much about it. Exercises are mostly for people who suffer from back pain, especially lower back.

15, but I do someimes feel pain when standing up for some periods and when bending over for prolonged periods constantly
If it’s really bothering you, you could go to the GP. I have postural kyphosis and so my back is curved and I get physiotherapy for it :smile: Are you experiencing any pain? If not then they probably won’t see it as much of an issue.

Otherwise I think it’s probably poor posture, which is very common. You could buy a posture corrector/back support off Amazon. I’ve used one in the past and they’re quite comfortable.

Also keep trying with the exercises. These things don’t change overnight. Your posture is fixed over years so it will take weeks or months to start to change it.

I hope this helped :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
It can be painful occasionally, but its mostly started after I've started my posture. When you say most people won't be looking at that do you mean doctors or peo;ple in geeneral. I really don't like it. I'm quite good now at sitting up straight. I want to go to the doctors but my parent's think it would be a waste of time and that they wouldn't take me seriously

Original post by bfm.mcdermott
To be honest, your back doesn’t look particularly curved to me, so I wouldn’t worry about it. Also most people won’t be looking at that.

However if it’s really bothering you, you could go to the GP. I have postural kyphosis and so my back is curved and I get physiotherapy for it :smile: Are you experiencing any pain? That would make them more likely to offer you something.

Otherwise I think it’s probably just poor posture, which is very common. You could buy a posture corrector/back support off Amazon. I’ve used one in the past and they’re quite comfortable.

Also keep trying with the exercises. These things don’t change overnight. Your posture is fixed over years so it will take weeks or months to start to change it.

I hope this helped :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
It can be painful occasionally, but its mostly started after I've started my posture. When you say most people won't be looking at that do you mean doctors or peo;ple in geeneral. I really don't like it. I'm quite good now at sitting up straight. I want to go to the doctors but my parent's think it would be a waste of time and that they wouldn't take me seriously

Well you said you were self-conscious so I’m saying I think you would focus on it more than anyone else would. I.E. I don’t think other people would notice much so don’t worry about it.

Of course if it’s causing you pain then it could be a medical issue and physiotherapy might help so I’d recommend asking your GP to check it out.

Regarding your parents, you could wait until you have a different doctor’s appointment and mention it then?
Reply 6
Maybe, although I don't reguarly need the doctor. Is there any good things I can do for it apart from sit up straight. What is my back like compared to yours
Well you said you were self-conscious so I’m saying I think you would focus on it more than anyone else would. I.E. I don’t think other people would notice much so don’t worry about it.

Of course if it’s causing you pain then it could be a medical issue and physiotherapy might help so I’d recommend asking your GP to check it out.

Regarding your parents, you could wait until you have a different doctor’s appointment and mention it then?
Reply 7

Does it make my head stick out?https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO1AKg645J4pOAemE1na9H3FQT1nQsxR33Qx5VVRhlpubCRJO-L-XoblXD6JYxRxg?key=NHU4ejYyTUxKMm5XRjNBODNJNllqSjBuWFlpb09R Also when I sit on a chair should I have my bum touching the back of the chair or just sitting closer to the desk
I'd talk to my doctor about it, they can do a quick examination.

It's impossible to tell from a photograph or from looking in a mirror.
(edited 5 years ago)
Maybe, although I don't reguarly need the doctor. Is there any good things I can do for it apart from sit up straight. What is my back like compared to yours

Erm I guess my back curves more at the base - it’s really bad lmao it looks like I’m trying to stick my butt out. And kinda at my neck (so like a backwards S) - but then I‘ve had it treated a lot so it’s a lot better now.
But then you can’t look for a diagnosis based on how similar your back is to other peoples. You could have a much straighter back and still need physio if it was causing problems or pain etc.

Like I said, you could try a posture corrector or new exercises but I am by no means a doctor and don’t know what’s best for you. I’d say apart from trying to improve posture day to day (e.g. not sitting at a computer for as long, sitting and standing straighter) there’s not much you can do unless you see a doctor. You said it hurts occasionally so tell your parents that and ask them to take you? I’m not sure what else to suggest...
looks like you may have a mild form of scoliosis. I have this and i've just had an operation couple weeks ago to straighten my spine. I had a 90c curve so mine was quite bad but now after the operation it's much better. I suggest you go to the doctors who will refer to you the spinal department of a hospital. As your curve looks quite small, you may just have to wear a back brace for period of time which can help straighten it without the need of an operation. However, yours really doesn't look bad at all so if it's not causing you any pain, I wouldn't worry about it!
(edited 5 years ago)
Does it make my head stick out?https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO1AKg645J4pOAemE1na9H3FQT1nQsxR33Qx5VVRhlpubCRJO-L-XoblXD6JYxRxg?key=NHU4ejYyTUxKMm5XRjNBODNJNllqSjBuWFlpb09R Also when I sit on a chair should I have my bum touching the back of the chair or just sitting closer to the desk

From a person’s viewpoint, I’d say you look normal. Don’t worry about it.
From a medical but non professional viewpoint, I’d say your shoulders-neck curves more than average and you could potentially find exercises useful.

I’m not a doctor and I can’t tell if you have a problem or not. Also just looking at a photograph can’t show if you have a medical condition or not.

Go to a GP. They will examine you standing, sitting, lying down and moving to see if they can help you.
Original post by Adammartin95
if it's not causing you any pain, I wouldn't worry about it!

^^
Op I wouldn't worry, there is an exaggerated curve but it gives you one hell of an ass :colondollar: :coma:
Do you wear glasses or have poor eyesight? Poor eyesight forces one to not look far distances so encourages you to keep a lower gaze. This encourages such a back yanawmeen. Can't see the pic tho.
Original post by Dragon5555
Do you wear glasses or have poor eyesight? Poor eyesight forces one to not look far distances so encourages you to keep a lower gaze. This encourages such a back yanawmeen. Can't see the pic tho.

Yes, I do have poor eyesight
Yes, I do have poor eyesight

Do take that into account then. Try make sure you have the best prescription if you are having your eyesight corrected (glasses/contact lenses).
Get a back brace you can place under your clothes it supports a healthy posture and should help you feel more comfortable x
I will try that, I don't sleep on my side

Quick Reply

Latest