The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

"My culture is not your goddamn prom dress?"

So you guys have probably heard about that qipao (Chinese traditional costume) that this American girl wore to prom, that went viral after some Chinese guy took offence, calling culture appropriation. What are everyone's opinions on this-do you agree with him?

As a Chinese girl myself, I personally would not take offence to this at all-in fact, I would feel flattered that a person from another culture would value a component of mine enough to wear it to prom, which is a big deal in the US. In fact, I think a lot of things get labelled as "culture appropriation", carrying negative connotations-which, in many cases, is doubtful. To me, it is more of the intention behind borrowing ideas from another culture-if it is done so in mockery, yes taking offence is justified. If otherwise, eg designers getting models on the runway to wear dreadlocks, I think it's perfectly fine, if not great!

Share your thoughts :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I don’t know the video you’re referencing, but cultural appropriation isn’t something to be flattered by. It’s blatant manipulation of a somebody else’s lifestyle/culture to use as a trend, and the main problem with it is the fact that the minorities who originate from the said culture are often criticised and scrutinised for the very same thing that is being stolen.

And example of this is box braids on black people.
If you wear a suit and you're not British, then I will be offended, because you are appropriating my culture.
Original post by legallyblind
So you guys have probably heard about that qipao (Chinese traditional costume) that this American girl wore to prom, that went viral after some Chinese guy took offence, calling culture appropriation. What are everyone's opinions on this-do you agree with him?

As a Chinese girl myself, I personally would not take offence to this at all-in fact, I would feel flattered that a person from another culture would value a component of mine enough to wear it to prom, which is a big deal in the US. In fact, I think a lot of things get labelled as "culture appropriation", carrying negative connotations-which, in many cases, is doubtful. To me, it is more of the intention behind borrowing ideas from another culture-if it is done so in mockery, yes taking offence is justified. If otherwise, eg designers getting models on the runway to wear dreadlocks, I think it's perfectly fine, if not great!

Share your thoughts :smile:

Congratulations! You're sane! :biggrin:
Original post by ellacxoo
I don’t know the video you’re referencing, but cultural appropriation isn’t something to be flattered by. It’s blatant manipulation of a somebody else’s lifestyle/culture to use as a trend, and the main problem with it is the fact that the minorities who originate from the said culture are often criticised and scrutinised for the very same thing that is being stolen.

And example of this is box braids on black people.

Cultures don't own things.

Should non-Italians be 'allowed' to make / eat pizza? Do you see how ridiculous a concept it is?

Doing something to mock a culture is different IMO, but copying what you like is positive.
(edited 5 years ago)
"Cultural appropriation" is another creation of the constantly offended on your behalf leftists that have made up another false source of outcry.
That woman wearing a Chinese dress did not take away the fact that the dress is of a Chinese style, it was clearly not meant to mock and was meant to appreciate the Chinese style, should we start banning others from Wearing suits? Oxford shoes only for the British?

No one has exclusive rights to things because "it is their culture" no one can claim something is solely for the use of them and them only. If the left want "diversity" then why do they not want this. Anyone that thinks that cultural appropriation is a thing is wholly a joke.

You also have to remember there are tons of ethnicities in China so if this was made by the Sui people would you forbid the Li people from wearing this dress? cultures have been constantly borrowing ideas from each other and often some of the outcry such as white people wearing braided hair is nonsense as the Egyptians were seen to have done it first (I think), looks like all these black people who are wearing braided hair are the cultural appropriators here
(edited 5 years ago)
It would be cultural appropriation, if a non-Italian person made a pizza and said “Look at this pizza I invented, look how great it is!” Do you see my point? Stealing someone’s culture is stealing somebody’s identity, and making a TREND out of it. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. Anyway, I shouldn’t have wasted time explaining it to the ignorant.
Reply 7
i wore a similar dress to prom years ago (but not of the same material) and no one f-ing complained about cultural appropriate. i tell you i've lived in Canada, Australia and now the UK; and some of my best friends are from Africa and Asia. in my experience people are not nearly as sensitive as they are in America. they've always been sensitive, but the political climate is especially f-cked up right now; part of me wonders it's because people want to make the news. anyway thank you OP for not being like such a nut-job! :smile:
ded meme

NEXT
It would be cultural appropriation, if a non-Italian person made a pizza and said “Look at this pizza I invented, look how great it is!” Do you see my point? Stealing someone’s culture is stealing somebody’s identity, and making a TREND out of it. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. Anyway, I shouldn’t have wasted time explaining it to the ignorant.

It would be a lie. You can copy an idea, but you can't really steal it - the originator still has it.

The problem is the concept, not ignorance. It would be ignorant of you to dismiss the opinions of so many other people without any concrete evidence. In this case, it's a matter of opinion, rather than fact.

The person wearing the dress did not claim to have invented the dress - she merely wore it because she liked it. It would be incorrect for a non-Italian to claim that they invented pizza, but there's nothing wrong with them making and eating pizza. Stop twisting words to win an argument you cannot win.
This was literally ages ago
People are always going on about how different cultures should all integrate together and live together. Then in the next breath if anyone takes any aspects of "another's" culture, it's cultural appropriation.

What do these people want!? Either you want everyone to integrate OR you want separate cultures.

Surely if someone takes aspects of your culture, whether that's clothing or a haircut, it's essentially a compliment to your culture that others want to use it. You should be more concerned if no one goes towards your culture with a 10ft barge pole.
I’m against people imitating black people or other POCs. I’m against the fact that when THEY do it, it is considered edgy, modern, authentic, original. But when black people do it, they’re called ghetto, thugs, low class and tacky. If Miley Cirus and Justin Bieber wear grillz, it's cool. If Trayvon Martin does it, the photos are held as evidence that he deserved to die. It’s not fair.
People are discriminated against,attacked, and insulted because of who they are and you think making it your own little trend to appear on edge is cool. Taking someones culture for your own personal use is racist, plain and simple.*EC121725-CBE6-448D-BB4F-5E20CC872917.jpg.jpeg
I thought we were supposed to embrace other cultures, or is this now offensive?

Negged.
Original post by Andrew97
I thought we were supposed to embrace other cultures, or is this now offensive?

Literally my point! Who knows what these SJWs want... Probs attention at this point
I found this explanation, and it pretty much sums up, what I’ve been trying to say... I really don’t understand why you guys can’t understand this, but maybe your privilege gets in the way.

“Cultural Appropriation is when a dominant culture (white people for example) take something from an minority culture (lets say black people) and adopt it into their culture, maybe at first this seems like white people appreciating black people’s culture but when you look closer you begin to see that white people take these cultural elements and are praised for them while black people are criticized and judged for them. This happens with hair a lot and a great example is cornrows, Amandla Stenberg is a young black actress who posted a video talking about the issues of white people wearing cornrows and other culturally significant hairstyles. And MTV’s series “Decoded” also did a segment on cultural appropriation that talks about the lines between appreciating cultures and appropriating them.
What it all comes down to is that people who have privilege often cannot understand why taking another cultures elements is a problem because they have never been judged for them. It is important to remember that racism and prejudice are still raging in our world and to use someone else’s culture and not understand the significance of it is almost to deny the problems we have today.”

Latest

Trending

Trending