The Student Room Group

Is intelligence 'gifted'to people?

I've heard a lot of people complain and brag about how some people are gifted.

In my opinion I don't think that this is the case. In fact intelligence is actually based on how people understand things to a certain degree. How you look into things, what perspective you look into things, how serious you take your education. This is how people are successful, nobody is naturally gifted.

Scroll to see replies

Well, some people do learn things quicker. intelligence is gifted in a way.
Original post by anomalyron

In my opinion I don't think that this is the case. In fact intelligence is actually based on how people understand things to a certain degree. How you look into things, what perspective you look into things, how serious you take your education. This is how people are successful, nobody is naturally gifted.

some people are naturally more intelligent than others.
Yes, I believe you are either intelligent or your aren't, you can't buy it.
Note there is a difference between intelligent and educated, for example there may be someone in your school who may get straight A*, while it is a good achievement it doesn't necessarily equate to intelligence, additionally especially at GCSE level, you can get taught how to get a high grade by knowing tricks and getting told how to answer questions
This isn't to say that nobody who gets A*s are clever, some people are but it doesn't necessarily guarantee anything in life
Intelligence is how certain people comprehend, understand, and react in certain situations
Original post by Maths&physics
some people are naturally more intelligent than others.

Original post by MissUnicorn
Yes, I believe you are either intelligent or your aren't, you can't buy it.
Note there is a difference between intelligent and educated, for example there may be someone in your school who may get straight A*, while it is a good achievement it doesn't necessarily equate to intelligence, additionally especially at GCSE level, you can get taught how to get a high grade by knowing tricks and getting told how to answer questions
This isn't to say that nobody who gets A*s are clever, some people are but it doesn't necessarily guarantee anything in life
Intelligence is how certain people comprehend, understand, and react in certain situations

Original post by Boss987
Well, some people do learn things quicker. intelligence is gifted in a way.

Would any of you say that YOU are gifted?
Some people are gifted
Im somewhat gifted, im not in the top 10% but definitely in the top 25%. Im just really unfocused alot of the time, and i like to doubt my intelligence to get out of working.
If i were to be able to motivate myself to work an entire semester not just 4 weeks before exams i would score nearly all 1sts no doubt.

I feel like the truly truly gifted have the ability to just study a bit and perform extremely high, without needing to work.

The average hard working person has to study an entire semester and exam period just to achieve a 2:1.
Reply 7
To an extent, yes.
Reply 8
To a point, although a variety of other things are also factors that can contribute to intelligence such as upbringing. If someone went to Eton or another high achieving school, they are much more likely to be more intelligent than someone who went to a low achieving comprehensive because of the people they are surrounded by.

maybe. why, I guess you dont think that you are?

Well, I was living with my mate for a year. Same lectures and everything. He revised way more than me but I still got the better results in exams. I am gifted with a good memory and can grasp things quickly. Thing is, hard work beats talent any day. You can't just rely on talent, you have to work hard.
Everyone has their natural strengths. Use those to make up for your weaknesses. Take advantage of your strengths and ignore all those who brag (they are using their strength in a bad way.
It's not gifted. You have to practice doing problems that make you think outside the box.

Nobody is naturally predisposed to be taller, stronger, has lighter eyes or darker skin. Evolution and individual differences stop at the neck.

There are no physical differences in the brain that facilitate a greater amount of cognitive ability, regardless of the strong correlation between convolutions in the cerebral cortex and IQ. That is obviously because IQ "only measures one type of intellect".

Forget about how tests on one "type" of intelligence predict the score in other sorts very well.

"People are clever in different ways though! What about people who are physically intelligent?"

Never mind though, because intelligence isn't a naturally occurring characteristic. That's why so many special-needs kids go on to become physics professors when they get an expensive education.

Thinking that everyone is born with the same brainpower is self-evidently not true. Unless it's cultural/class bias. Yeah, it's probably that. Never mind guys!

Yeah it's mainly due to genetics I would say although it's sometimes due to upbringing.
eg. My sibling and I are considered smart and I think that is due to us only watching educational programs until we were about 11. We would watch science programs rather then cartoons so we were more use to teaching ourselves and learning and understanding information. But my sibling is smarter than me as he did alot more reading than me when he was younger whereas I would draw. I know art isn't a type of intelligence but because of how I grew up I am good at art whereas my sibling is truly AWFUL at art. Similarly my sibling's skill with computers and my incompetence with computers is due to us spending our childhoods differently. Therefore intellegence isn't just due to genetics or a gift it is due to actions you take as well.
Yes, mostly.
This is a fact, proper research was done into this. I don't remember who it was lead by, but 4% come down to intelligence the other 96% is through revision and preparation.
This is a fact, proper research was done into this. I don't remember who it was lead by, but 4% come down to intelligence the other 96% is through revision and preparation.

comes*
What is your evidence that you are very intelligent
Intelligence can be in many different subjects, in the end isn’t it just how well you can do something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending