The Student Room Group

Best antivirus+ antimalware software

So I was researching virus protection software after messing up my PC and realized that for my laptop I would need antivirus software but also antimalware software, I'm leaning towards

Bitdefender Antivirus Plus and Malwarebytes

Has anyone ever used these and would they recommend them or would they recommend something else?

Scroll to see replies

it is worth having protection against ransomware also.... i have used cryptoprevent for several years. it is free from

https://www.d7xtech.com/cryptoprevent-malware-prevention/
I'd echo what said. Common sense plus in-built tools are all you need.
Yeah I plan onto torrent this piece of software before I buy it so that's why I kinda wanted to make sure I didn't get a virus
Original post by dannydevil117
So I was researching virus protection software after messing up my PC and realized that for my laptop I would need antivirus software but also antimalware software, I'm leaning towards

Bitdefender Antivirus Plus and Malwarebytes

Has anyone ever used these and would they recommend them or would they recommend something else?

Malwarebytes is decent, but its best to use Linux if yo can. Its practical virus free, runs much quicker and supports older computer as new
Reply 5
Original post by Luke5125
Malwarebytes is decent, but its best to use Linux if yo can. Its practical virus free, runs much quicker and supports older computer as new

In addition, it is free, upgrades are free, and it runs very well. If you are familiar with Windoze, becoming used to running Linux takes very little time. I'm running "Mint", and converted from XP in only a couple of days. Best of luck!!
Original post by Rabbit2
In addition, it is free, upgrades are free, and it runs very well. If you are familiar with Windoze, becoming used to running Linux takes very little time. I'm running "Mint", and converted from XP in only a couple of days. Best of luck!!

The only reason I care about antivirus software etc because the last time I torrented something I got a minor glitch and this time I don't want that to happen so obviously you would recommend buying the software but the price is £300 and I just spent a large sum on a new laptop
Reply 7
The only reason I care about antivirus software etc because the last time I torrented something I got a minor glitch and this time I don't want that to happen so obviously you would recommend buying the software but the price is £300 and I just spent a large sum on a new laptop

You don't "buy" Linux - it's free - just download it & install. You can buy a distribution on DvDs, but it's at nominal cost. I did that, because i got tired of downloading things that wouldn't install, because somewhere on the disk was a download error. Downloading the entire package in a cybercafe was taking me about 1.5 hours. Another approach is to buy an extra hard drive for your machine, and just install it with Linux already installed on it. I get my notebooks off of ebay - Typically £30 to 40 used. Got my extra hard drives there too - $60 for a 1 Terabyte 2 1/2 inch drive. Push/pull, click click - change operating systems that quick!! The 'install it yourself' DvDs cost me about 15 to 20 quid as i recall. Check ebay.co.uk for what they have listed. Best of luck!
Original post by Rabbit2
You don't "buy" Linux - it's free - just download it & install. You can buy a distribution on DvDs, but it's at nominal cost. I did that, because i got tired of downloading things that wouldn't install, because somewhere on the disk was a download error. Downloading the entire package in a cybercafe was taking me about 1.5 hours. Another approach is to buy an extra hard drive for your machine, and just install it with Linux already installed on it. I get my notebooks off of ebay - Typically £30 to 40 used. Got my extra hard drives there too - $60 for a 1 Terabyte 2 1/2 inch drive. Push/pull, click click - change operating systems that quick!! The 'install it yourself' DvDs cost me about 15 to 20 quid as i recall. Check ebay.co.uk for what they have listed. Best of luck!

haha I'm aware linux is free and good however I meant the software I wanted to torrent costs £300 hence why I plan to torrent it
Original post by Rabbit2

I'm running Linux Mint 'Cinnamon' right now on my P4! Whats your specs?

I sometimes torrent programs on my old AMD Tricore to test things out
I meant I dont care if it gets viruses as I have a Hard drive imagine!
I don't think you understood my point, I said I'd torrent a piece of software (Fl studio) because I can't afford it right now but I don't want to get a virus hence why I was looking at some antivirus software but when I have the money I will for sure buy the actual software
I don't want to torrent antivirus software that would be stupid, I need antivirus software because I plan on torrenting FL studio which costs £300 but once I have £300 I will actually buy the legitmate product but just for the time being I am planning on torrenting FL studio
I agree, but its still fun infecting it with malware
This is good advice, I used to use software such as Kaspersky, Symantec Norton and McAfee but now I use Microsoft defender and exercise common sense when browsing or downloading content.
Avast and Malwarebytes Antimalware.
Original post by vikingraid
Avast and Malwarebytes Antimalware.

I thought you were only supposed to get either anti virus or anti malware and not both?
I thought you were only supposed to get either anti virus or anti malware and not both?

Nope, Anti-virus and Anti-malware are two different things. I can't recall it from the top of my head, but Anti-malware is to do with dealing with rogue software and the latest threat whereas Anti-virus is for all the other stuff, and threats that have appeared over time.
T
he only thing you're not suppose to do is have two different Anti-virus or Anti-malware running simultaneously.
Try 360 Total Security maybe you will like it

it even has ransomware decryption tools afaih
i also use the free Comodo Internet Security Suite; it does not hog resources and has kept my computer honeymoon fresh.

:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending