The Student Room Group

Does Oxbridge accept Foundation Year students?

Does either of the universities accept students who went to do a foundation year in the UK after upper secondary in EU country? The only thing they say on those sites is basically "maybe" but has anyone actually gotten in? The course would be Law and the foundation year done is International Foundation in Humanities, Law and Social Science at Exeter.
Reply 1
tagging @BrasenoseAdm and @LMH OXFORD from Oxford
also @Peterhouse Admissions and @Murray Edwards Admissions from Cambridge
Original post by Doonesbury
tagging @BrasenoseAdm and @LMH OXFORD from Oxford
also @Peterhouse Admissions and @Murray Edwards Admissions from Cambridge

thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by 2018wondering
Does either of the universities accept students who went to do a foundation year in the UK after upper secondary in EU country? The only thing they say on those sites is basically "maybe" but has anyone actually gotten in? The course would be Law and the foundation year done is International Foundation in Humanities, Law and Social Science at Exeter.

You could ask Exeter if any of their foundation year students have applied/accepted by Oxbridge.
You could ask Exeter if any of their foundation year students have applied/accepted by Oxbridge.

Do you know whether you could apply for Cambridge if you did the foundation year at lady Margaret hall?
Reply 5
Original post by Christopher77
Do you know whether you could apply for Cambridge if you did the foundation year at lady Margaret hall?

Afaik nobody has done that to date (it's very early days for the LMH Foundation scheme). You would need to ask some Cambridge colleges their opinion. I know one of the Cambridge admissions team will be hosting a thread soon so you could ask them then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Afaik nobody has done that to date (it's very early days for the LMH Foundation scheme). You would need to ask some Cambridge colleges their opinion. I know one of the Cambridge admissions team will be hosting a thread soon so you could ask them then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I were to get the a level grades needed to do a Cambridge course, could I apply whilst if I were on the lmh foundation year or would that be sacrilege?
Reply 7
If I were to get the a level grades needed to do a Cambridge course, could I apply whilst if I were on the lmh foundation year or would that be sacrilege?

LMH Foundation is for applicants who don't have the necessary grades for a standard application.
LMH Foundation is for applicants who don't have the necessary grades for a standard application.

I know but If my predicted grades were only ABB and I get A* AA required for Cambridge course but I can’t then apply for cambridge, I’m just posing the idea of taking the LHM foundation year instead of a gap and having to reapply to Cambridge. I have researched into the eligibility needed for the year and i qualify for that. In the website they say you can take a degree in Oxford or any other Russell university does hat imply I could apply for cambridge? How would they see that I’ve used a fully funded course at Oxford to then apply for the arch-nemesis uni Cambridge?
Reply 9
I know but If my predicted grades were only ABB and I get A* AA required for Cambridge course but I can’t then apply for cambridge, I’m just posing the idea of taking the LHM foundation year instead of a gap and having to reapply to Cambridge. I have researched into the eligibility needed for the year and i qualify for that. In the website they say you can take a degree in Oxford or any other Russell university does hat imply I could apply for cambridge? How would they see that I’ve used a fully funded course at Oxford to then apply for the arch-nemesis uni Cambridge?

This is a *very* hypothetical question...

You can't apply to Cambridge if you have a place at a different UK university but the LMH Year may be considered differently because it's not guaranteed you progress to a full place at Oxford. You'd need to ask some Cambridge colleges. I suspect the answer will be in the negative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
This is a *very* hypothetical question...

You can't apply to Cambridge if you have a place at a different UK university but the LMH Year may be considered differently because it's not guaranteed you progress to a full place at Oxford. You'd need to ask some Cambridge colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that the hypothetical situation seems very unlikely, personally what would you do? Would you take a gap year?
Reply 11
I know that the hypothetical situation seems very unlikely, personally what would you do? Would you take a gap year?

If you have a place (which is free, after all) at LMH I think I'd stay with that and then carry on at Oxford.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending