The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Why is the University of Exeter so overrated?

https://vacancies.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/exeter-home/

Firstly, just take a look at the amount of courses, especially STEM, that they have in clearing. That's really not the primary issue however...

Computer science and Mathematics, the course the "ib guy" does has a clearing grade of BBC.

ALL engineering degrees at Exeter also have a clearing requirement of BBC which is absolutely absurd.

To put that into perspective London South Bank University has an entry requirement of BBB for their Mechanical engineering course.

Medical Imaging ( Radiography) requires CCC for clearing. This is the university that some people consider to be top 10? Absurd!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Entry requirements don't dictate whether a university is part of the Russell Group or not, it's research-based.
Reply 3
Original post by multieman
https://vacancies.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/exeter-home/

Firstly, just take a look at the amount of courses, especially STEM, that they have in clearing. That's really not the primary issue however...

Computer science and Mathematics, the course the "ib guy" does has a clearing grade of BBC.

ALL engineering degrees at Exeter also have a clearing requirement of BBC which is absolutely absurd.

To put that into perspective London South Bank University has an entry requirement of BBB for their Mechanical engineering course.

Medical Imaging ( Radiography) requires CCC for clearing. This is the university that some people consider to be top 10? Absurd!

Thats interesting. Some (presumably) tough courses have low entry requirements. Are they struggling for numbers this year?
IB guy meaning @Princepieman? Bit of a weasel move to mention him without tagging him.

The obvious rebuttal is that most of the RG unis are not that competitive, and there are many other similar offenders; no reason that Exeter need be singled out. The key question is what percentage of the intake will be on the reduced offer, and I would say not too many given the average UCAS points of the matriculating student is still quite high. Some STEM courses at Exeter are known to be doss, though.
Reply 5
Clearly past students below the entry requirements have shown they can cope with the courses. They wouldn't admit students who are destined to fail. This isn't an indication of teaching standards or research quality, the latter being what actually determines if a university is in the RG or not.
Reply 6
Original post by Notoriety
IB guy meaning @Princepieman? Bit of a weasel move to mention him without tagging him.

The obvious rebuttal is that most of the RG unis are not that competitive, and there are many other similar offenders; no reason that Exeter need be singled out. The key question is what percentage of the intake will be on the reduced offer, and I would say not too many given the average UCAS points of the matriculating student is still quite high. Some STEM courses at Exeter are known to be doss, though.

Any idea what the clearance grades are for other similarly ranked universities to Exeter? Most seem pretty cagey about it. It does seem to confirm that the offers are artificially high for many courses.
How much of a coward do you have to be to not have the balls to tag the person you're chatting **** about loooool

Pattern down wasteman
universities are businesses these days and want to make as much ££ as possible, so they lower their grades so more people can get it, making more money. that is why you see loads of lower ranked unis advertising on this website.... they are money making factories
Original post by ajj2000
Any idea what the clearance grades are for other similarly ranked universities to Exeter? Most seem pretty cagey about it. It does seem to confirm that the offers are artificially high for many courses.

Exeter gets itself into undue difficulty because it is transparent about its normal entry requirements. While other places will lie and say their course is AAA, Exeter is open and tells you they will take AAB-ABB. De facto the other places often take grades much lower than Exeter, but they lie about it. On the face of it, the nominal entry requirements make Exeter a weaker uni but the story is more complicated than this.

Exeter is now quite open about its clearing courses and the grades required, whereas its rivals do it behind closed doors. So short answer, no we don't know what its rivals are offering but it is not going to be any higher. I think the fact Exeter doesn't lie about it is rather telling, not that I am an Exeter apologist although I am often forced into this role because people do believe Exeter is much weaker than rivals who are being purposefully deceitful.
Reply 10
Exeter gets itself into undue difficulty because it is transparent about its normal entry requirements. While other places will lie and say their course is AAA, Exeter is open and tells you they will take AAB-ABB. De facto the other places often take grades much lower than Exeter, but they lie about it. On the face of it, the nominal entry requirements make Exeter a weaker uni but the story is more complicated than this.

Exeter is now quite open about its clearing courses and the grades required, whereas its rivals do it behind closed doors. So short answer, no we don't know what its rivals are offering but it is not going to be any higher. I think the fact Exeter doesn't lie about it is rather telling, not that I am an Exeter apologist although I am often forced into this role because people do believe Exeter is much weaker than rivals who are being purposefully deceitful.

Original post by rhaegar454
How much of a coward do you have to be to not have the balls to tag the person you're chatting **** about loooool

Pattern down wasteman

You do realise he roams this site 24/7 so he would see it eventually. Also, this question isn't directed at him, you're probably an Exeter student lool.
Reply 11
Original post by Savantial
Entry requirements don't dictate whether a university is part of the Russell Group or not, it's research-based.

That's true but I'm more shocked by the fact that they have STEM course at BBC.
Reply 12

That's extremely exaggerated. Most, if not all the top 10 universities would never take students for their Engineering and Maths courses at BBC let alone BBB. Bear in mind this is clearing so if you meet the grades you're in.
Reply 13
Original post by TajwarC
Clearly past students below the entry requirements have shown they can cope with the courses. They wouldn't admit students who are destined to fail. This isn't an indication of teaching standards or research quality, the latter being what actually determines if a university is in the RG or not.

Your first statement is most likely true. Unfortunately, that says a lot about the difficulty of degrees at Exeter.
Reply 14
I've amended my title to better suit my initial question.
That's extremely exaggerated. Most, if not all the top 10 universities would never take students for their Engineering and Maths courses at BBC let alone BBB. Bear in mind this is clearing so if you meet the grades you're in.

You were talking about RG unis when you began; not sure where you got "top 10" from, unless you're supposing these are Exeter's true rivals. I cannot help but think this goes against your ultimate argument that Exeter is shite.

Exeter for engineering is competing against other unis which are about 20th for engineering, rather than ICL.
Reply 16
You were talking about RG unis when you began; not sure where you got "top 10" from, unless you're supposing these are Exeter's true rivals. I cannot help but think this goes against your ultimate argument that Exeter is shite.

Exeter for engineering is competing against other unis which are about 20th for engineering, rather than ICL.

I've amended my title to better suit my initial question.

^^^
^^^

Don't give a **** what you changed the thread title to.
Entry requirements means nothing. It's what the graduates turn out to be at the end and the quality of education. The best schools/ unis are those that can take a low performing student and educate them to the best they possibly can.
Your first statement is most likely true. Unfortunately, that says a lot about the difficulty of degrees at Exeter.

Forgive me if this seems like a really, really silly question, but did someone force you to name Exeter as your Firm or something and now you think your friends will disrespect you because the university has clearing courses beneath your dignity?

If you didn't / don't intend to apply there, why is it such an issue for you? There are many other universities to choose from...

Latest

Trending

Trending