The Student Room Group

What do you actually do on results day?

What I don't undetstand, is what you actually do on results day? How do you get your results, etc. Can someone possibly explain what happens; in detail?

Scroll to see replies

poo yourself
Reply 2
So you go to your High School normally between 9:00-13:00 (depends where you go) and collect your results. Depending on what you get you go to the Sixth Form/College that you meet the entry requirement for and enrol there. Thats basically it.
Reply 3
You are told where to go by the school, it's usually the sports hall (in my case I'm at college, so was given a room number). There you chat to your mates or those also waiting, normally everyone is really nervous. Then you go to a certain table, or the like, depending on your last name who check your ID and give you the envelope with your results in. I can't remember if you have to sign for them or not.

Then it's up to you to open them and look at the results. Some people choose to open the results there and then. It's usually on a slip of paper - not the actual certificates - which give you your grades for each subject, grouped by examination board (you'll get separate sheets of paper covering each board). The actual certificates are sent out much later.

Most people are pretty happy, some cry, some scream with joy etc.

If you have failed there are usually people around to arrange resits, and sometimes the teachers decided to go in and support students.

The weird thing is if you wear a uniform, is seeing other students in the other clothes, very strange.

It is just such a relief, and then you think of your future (college/university) and start getting nervous but excited about that.

I hope that helps.

PS If you don't want to go in to the school/college etc, then the results are mailed out on that day, and some email them - mine didn't do the later. The quickest way to get a result is to go in and pick them up.

PPS The results page usually have your details on the upper section, then below the subject on the right and the grades on the left. My results last year didn't have the paper break down, nor the total mark, but I did ring up the college and find that out later.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by aarnat
So you go to your High School normally between 9:00-13:00 (depends where you go) and collect your results. Depending on what you get you go to the Sixth Form/College that you meet the entry requirement for and enrol there. Thats basically it.

Thank you very much! Do you collect the results in your school's office?
Reply 5
I go to this room, if you are not sure it is best you phone or email your school to find the room.
I remember my A-Leval results day I had woken up to here the post come through my letterbox. I had 3 letters one from UCAS one from Solent and one from Portsmouth I OpenDoc the ucas one first I had got in to my firm then the Solent one confirmed this then Portsmouth saying as we are your back up you won’t here from us again so suddenly results didn’t seem so important. I went to college to see my mates everyone had got to uni everyone was happy well almost everyone my best mate had not go in to his only choice. He viewd having a second as cheating I was like it’s ok you can always go through clearing no that cheating too apparently. But yeah that was my A-Level results day.
1) Get Results
2) Cry
3) Watch TV whilst eating ice-cream
Reply 8
I had my results posted online by ResultsPlus. A lot easier than the mail option. I'm not sure if all exam boards do it but if you want Edexcel to use ResultPlus, you have to mention this when signing up.
If you're in A2/Second year of A levels then you'll probably be waiting for UCAS to update and open at 8am (although last year it opened at like half 7 so be prepared for that!), as well as an email from your university choices. It might be good news, it might be bad - I'd suggest preparing a plan for any of the scenarios.

Then, depending on what your sixth form/college/school decides, you go in (or some email you) usually between 9am and midday, and pick up your actual results. UCAS won't tell you the grades you achieved, just what the universities have decided to do concerning places.
Regardless of the scenario, your school/college always have people on hand for things like resits/remarks etc. etc.
I’ve been through 3 results days about to be a fourth. In 2015 I got my GCSEs. My mum drove me to school we got there around 9:00. That was the scariest one, it being the first. I got to school, went to the desk and got my brown envelope. Sat down in the corner with my mother, opened it and started to cry, to which my mum whispered under her breath “shutup, people are looking, stop it.” She’s like that, lol. I got to two As 4Bs 3Cs and a freaking D in GCSE PE. We then went home and went to the cafe. I got into my schools sixth form so I was alright but I wanted more As but to be fair, I revised most subjects the night before so yeah.

Second results day was in 2016, AS results. This was the chillest of them all, I think because I knew it meant nothing. I went to school on my own that time, met some friends at the train station then got the bus to school. I already knew I got a U in chemistry, from the moment I left the exam hall so I was expecting it. I opened the results with my friend who was in my bio class, I was expecting BBCUA but got CCEUA C in psych C in socio E in bio U in chem and an A in EPQ. Like i said, they meant nothing soo I wasn’t too bothered. But I didn’t get the grades to go onto A2. The next day our school held a grade surgery, moist I know. So i went and you basically took a ticket and waited. A lot of people from both year 12 and 13 were there, 12 to see if they were allowed to continue onto A2 and 13s that failed to reach their firms/insurances. I remember there were three teachers doing the enrolment, the head of sixth form who is really nice, some random teacher who resembles dr eggman but is also nice and the deputy head of sixth form who is the devil incarnate, she had turned away so many students, we were all praying to not get her. I got the head of sixth form, I was soooo happy. She let me in but said i needed to work harder.

See the thing with me is I’m lazy af. I’m smart, when I work hard I do very well but I can’t be asked and so don’t. I knew I could have done better than what I got.

Anyways roll on year 13 results day 2017 the big one. I decided as this was the most important results day I would do it in solitude, just in case. I woke up at fricking 5:30 am and kept on trying to refresh track. I had firmed Birmingham for law with criminology and had an unconditional for UEL for the same. I watched the swots on good morning Britain open their results on tv, had breakfast, got ready and then finally left the house at around 8:30. Got to school, walked straight to the desk, hoodie on, shades on, no eye contact with NOBODY. I got the envelope and as soon as I turned around to leave one of my bio teachers was up my behind telling me to open it, she was smiling. I knew she knew what I got but this woman thought a D was good so I wasn’t even acknowledging her. I got in my car drove straight home. I had a car by then, I could drive, I was moving on up in the world. I thought about it for a while. I didn’t want to open it straight away, I hadn’t checked track yet. The gc was poppin with everybody sharing their results, I silenced my phone. I sat on my bed. I checked track first, nope from Birmingham, I expected it, i wasn’t upset. I got into UEL, except, I had decided I didn’t want to go there since June. I had already made the list of clearing places I would call and I got to calling them.

The first one on my list Royal Holloway, I had initially applied and got an offer before. I called, told them my grades, BBC in sociology psychology and biology, and they gave me a place. But I didn’t realise I needed to be released by UEL first. They gave me until 8:00 the next day to add them as my clearing choice before it was no longer guaranteed. Long story short, UEL didn’t want to release me, they dragged their feet and didn’t release me until 2pm the day AFTER results day. And when they did they didn’t tell me. So I sat there like an idiot waiting for the phone call they said they’d give me before releasing me until 4pm. I lost both my clearing place and UEL and ended up with no space. And as it’s law the clearing spots go QUICK. so gap year it was. I spent the gap year studying to resist bio and sociology. Im predicted an A and a B this year giving me ABB overall but I need AAB for kent for law and I’m hoping I’ve got A*AB. So we’ll see results day 2018.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DEͥSTͣIͫNY
1) Get Results
2) Cry
3) Watch TV whilst eating ice-cream

Good plan :yy:
You'll receive a letter or text or some sort of instructions from your secondary school. On results day, you go in at 9:00 A.M. to whatever time it finishes.

It really depends on your school policies.

And after that, you'll **** yourself, get your results and then recover and realise you're fine.
Reply 13
If you're in Scotland you get them posted to you, going in to school seems stupid to me.
You go to school and they give you your results. That's all there is to it really
Cant wait for my results day, but only getting 1 gcse that I did early (Literature) and can't wait for my classmates to legit get spanked by their parents for crap grades.
I know, I'm weird but the grades you get reflects the amount of work you put in, I put in 110% so should be good although have been having some nightmares of failing but they'll go :biggrin:
Original post by Mystelle
Good plan :yy:

Thank you, I'm pretty much an expert at it by now :tongue:
Original post by Dizzydaisy37
What I don't undetstand, is what you actually do on results day? How do you get your results, etc. Can someone possibly explain what happens; in detail?

You go to your school and get handed your results in an envelope. You can then either open them at school or go home and open them, but most open them there.

Your results determine if you got onto your A-level courses or university course or college course.
Original post by Cereidee
I’ve been through 3 results days about to be a fourth. In 2015 I got my GCSEs. My mum drove me to school we got there around 9:00. That was the scariest one, it being the first. I got to school, went to the desk and got my brown envelope. Sat down in the corner with my mother, opened it and started to cry, to which my mum whispered under her breath “shutup, people are looking, stop it.” She’s like that, lol. I got to two As 4Bs 3Cs and a freaking D in GCSE PE. We then went home and went to the cafe. I got into my schools sixth form so I was alright but I wanted more As but tonne fair, I revised most subjects the night before so yeah.

Second results day was in 2016, AS results. This was the chillest of them all, I think because I knew it meant nothing. I went to school on my own that time, met some friends at the train station then got the bus to school. I already knew I got a U in chemistry, from the moment I left the exam hall so I was expecting it. I opened the results with my friend who was in my bio class, I was expecting BBCUA but got CCEUA C in psych C in socio E in bio U in chem and an A in EPQ. Like i said, they meant nothing soo wasn’t too bothered. But I didn’t get the grades to go onto A2. The next day our school held a grade surgery, moist I know. So i went and you basically took a ticket and waited. A lot of people from both year 12 and 13 were there, 12 to see if they were allowed to continue onto A2 and 13s that failed to reach the firms/insurances. I remember there were three teachers doing the enrolment, the head of sixth form who is really nice, some random teacher who resembles dr eggman but is also nice and the deputy head of sixth form who is the devil incarnate, she had turned away so many students, we were all praying to not get her. I got the head of sixth form, I was soooo happy. She let me in but said i needed to work.

See the thing with me is I’m lazy af. I’m smart, when I work hard I do very well but I can’t be asked and so don’t. I knew I could have done better than what I got.

Anyways roll on year 13 results day 2017 the big one. I decided as this was the most important results day I would do it in solitude, just in case. I woke up at fricking 5:30 am and kept on trying to refresh track. I had formed Birmingham for law with criminology and had an unconditional for UEL for the same. I watched the swots on good morning Britain open their results on tv, had breakfast got ready and then finally left the house at around 8:30. Got to school walked straight to the desk, hoodie on shades on no eye contact with NOBODY. I got the envelope and as soon as I turned around to leave on of my bio teachers was up my behind telling me to open it, she was smiling, I knew she knew what I got but this woman thought a D was good so I wasn’t even acknowledging her. I got in my car drove straight home. I had a car by then, I could drive, I was moving on up in the world. I thought about it for a while. I didn’t want to open it straight away, I hadn’t checked track yet. The gc was poppin with everybody sharing their results, I silenced my phone. I sat on my bed. I checked track first, nope from Birmingham, I expected it, i wasn’t upset. I got into UEL, except, I had decided I didn’t want to go there since June. I had already had the list of clearing places I would call and I got to calling them.

The first one on my list Royal Holloway, I had initially applied and got an offer before. I called told them my grades, BBC in sociology psychology and biology, and they gave me a place. But I didn’t realise I needed to be released by UEL first. Hey have me until 8:00 the next day to add them as my clearing choice before it was no longer guaranteed. Long story short, UEL didn’t want to release me, they dragged their feet and didn’t release me until 2pm the day AFTER results day. And when they did they didn’t tell me. So I sat there like an idiot waiting for the phone call they said they’d give me before releasing me until 4pm. I lost both my clearing place and UEL and ended up with no space. And as it’s law the clearing spots go QUICK. so happy year it was. I spent the gap year studying to resist bio and sociology. Im predicted an A and a B this year giving me ABB overall but I need AAB for kent for law and I’m hoping I’ve got A*AB. So we’ll see results day 2018.

How was your gap year if you don't mind me asking? What did you do in your gap year? Did you only start revising in October/November? Or did you start in January? Did you also work during your gap year ?
Original post by MKaur18
How was your gap year if you don't mind me asking? What did you do in your gap year? Did you only start revising in October/November? Or did you start in January? Did you also work during your gap year ?

I started revising hard around October/November then it kind of died down. I didn’t revise for the whole of January and half of February. March is when I started up again and April onwards is when i really studied.

I tried to get Law related work in September, but a lot of the employers wanted someone with experience so I decided to get a regular job, I worked at Sainsbury’s for about 2 weeks but had to quit because the hours were in the early morning and it really started to affect me, I never saw my family and was always tired and never revised.

I then gave up on getting a job and just focused on my a levels. I started my own business and then got casual work as a courier for Hermes.

I started going to the gym in December and just juggled the gym, my business and revision.

I’m kinda glad I didn’t go to uni this year.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest