The Student Room Group

2020 GCSE discussion

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else did their mocks for KS3?

I got a 9 for chemistry, biology, geography as of now. Also got an 8 in maths which I usually get 9. :frown:

I’ve got english (I think I’ll get a 6/7) physics rs german computing to go.
Wow!! Thank you all so much for the help!!!
Original post by jasminepanesar
forget months... i covered half of my physics content at 4am on the day of the exam xD

glad i wasn't the only one oops (rip my physics grade)
Original post by Harry171

😂😂
I feel like that will be me.
I usually start of excited and the excitement dies down fast. VERY FAST
Original post by Harry171

lol i was talking about my real gcses btw
Hi Astrid! I'm exactly like you. I'm aspiring to get into Oxbridge and feel the pressure of GCSE's looming over me. I really want to get those grade 7, 8 and 9s. The prospect of doing GCSE's in 2 years is really scary
Original post by jasminepanesar
forget months... i covered half of my physics content at 4am on the day of the exam xD

XD wow.
Original post by astrid2018
Hi Everyone
I am currently in Year9 and I will be doing my GCSEs in 2020. I thought that I could create a chat on which we can discuss what we are working on at school and what we would like to get in our GSCEs. I know that they are a long way away but I guess we could help each other if we are struggling to learn anything. I have just finished my end of year exams and I hope to get my results soon. Post what you would like to achieve and what you think you will achieve. It will be interesting to look back at this in a few years time!!

Thanks!!

From someone who has just completed their A-levels, now going to uni in September.
It is great to see someone so eager and starting to revise now :smile:
Keep up at it - but don't do too much so you don't burn out. Then increase revision in year 10 and even more in year 11.
Take it from me, I regret not revising.
Original post by astrid2018
Hi Everyone
I am currently in Year9 and I will be doing my GCSEs in 2020. I thought that I could create a chat on which we can discuss what we are working on at school and what we would like to get in our GSCEs. I know that they are a long way away but I guess we could help each other if we are struggling to learn anything. I have just finished my end of year exams and I hope to get my results soon. Post what you would like to achieve and what you think you will achieve. It will be interesting to look back at this in a few years time!!

Thanks!!

1 tip from me. Just keep focusing throughout year 9 and year 10 and then start the extreme revision towards the end of the summer holidays before year 11 starts. I srsly messed up. I didnt pay attention in the core subjects since i started year 7, now im behind and im trying to learn everything in the summer holidays.
Original post by Equil9nityp
Hi Astrid! I'm exactly like you. I'm aspiring to get into Oxbridge and feel the pressure of GCSE's looming over me. I really want to get those grade 7, 8 and 9s. The prospect of doing GCSE's in 2 years is really scary

wtf?

2 years is ages

A-Levels are more important

And why Oxbridge?
Original post by Equil9nityp

Hi! I've done my GCSEs a year ago already and although it's very admirable of you guys to start revising right now (and it is a very good idea) don't get too stressed as even IF (a big if) you mess up! They care more about the A Levels/IB more anyway. Make sure to not do too much either, which may result in you burning out in Y11! Good luck!
I am taking media psychology history and re xx
Ahaha I'm in Year 11 aiming for 8/9's and I'm not as fussed as these Year 9's. Relax while you've got the time because GCSE's are nothing compared to the real world.
Good luck new Year 10s! Year 10 was one of the most fun years of compulsory education so far, so trust me, you'll be fine. Remember to keep highlighting, making notes and understanding the topics now, you'll thank yourself in 2020. x
hiya, there's an official year 10 thread which you can discuss the year with other people also; would recommend using that also if you'd like to be talking to a lot more people. you can find it here :smile:
Hi.
I am also going into year 10. I'd like to get 7,8,9's in my GCSE exams, I think this is achievable but only if I work for it. In year 9, I was working at 6/7 level in my subjects, so I think this target is achievable. I'm taking triple science (we weren't given a choice), English language, English literature, Maths, Art, Latin, Geography and French. I'm currently trying to organise all my things for revision so I can start when school goes back, there are lots of useful youtube videos for this, however not all subjects are on there, so this is quite a useful website.
Reply 37
I am approaching my second year of Alevels, so I can give out some advice.
Flash cards.
Pay attention
Do your homework to the best of your ability.

All this classes as revision because you are doing work related to the subject. As you go over each topic, make detailed revision flashcards because when year 11 exam time comes around you don’t want to spend ages making flash cards you’re going to use only once before an exam. The earlier you make the flashcards, the more you can use them. If you’re one of these people who likes to have pretty/fancy notes with beautiful colour combinations, use washi tape or highlight the very edge of the card, so when you stack a pile up together, it makes a pretty pattern.
When you get your revision books (we weren’t given any until the beginning of year 11) find out from your teachers after each lesson what the next lesson is about and then read a page or two on that topic BEFORE the next class. Don’t worry about understanding it all or making notes. Just having an overview of the subject matter can help make a class easier to understand and you can ask the right questions early on. This how I’ve been told a lot of Unis work, so if you can get to grips with proactive learning early on, not only will GCSE’s be easier, so will A-Levels and ultimately university.
But have fun.
You will find a point over the next couple of years where you will have been studying for a bit, and no information is going in. A small break full of excersize can help.

Also - revision songs. Our physics teacher put the electromagnetic spectrum song on repeat for an entire lesson, and now the entire school knows it. They can be extremely helpful
Reply 38
Hey Guys! So I’m starting GCSEs and I’m ngl I’m pretty stressed because there are so many forms of revision to do and I don’t know how long to spend on each of them. I’m taking 3 Humanities (GEO,HIST,RS) and I’m lost because everybody in my class has all these fancy forms of revision and then there is me just using my class notes to make revision notes smh
Anyway I am looking forward to this thread and I hope we will all continue to help each other in this thread
By the way. Some people (like me) have started covering GCSE topics in Year 9 in school. Does anybody’s school do this?
Thank you
Reply 39
We had a change over of headmistress in Y7. We had to pick our gcse options at the end of year 7, to start the course in year 8. The ide was that we could do two sets of gcse so things like humanities we could sit Y8/Y9 and then we could focus on the core subjects Y10/11 so therefore we would do more subjects so got more GCSEs. Needless to say, it did not work. I only sat 1 official exam before my year 11 exams and that was ECDL.

Every school will cover some gcse topics before year 10 (what else are they meant to teach in year 7/8/9) if they are avoiding gcse content). Some schools will just cover the topics more intensely than others.
Also, fancy forms of revision can end up wasting time. If you don’t learn well using mind maps, then why spend hours making mindmaps for all of your content. You will find a method that you prefer and you will mainly stick to that. You may use a mind map or flashcards or other methods every now and again. But don’t worry about what everyone else is doing. The only revision that matters is yours. Comparing yourself to others isn’t going to help you study. It will only make you think you are studying the “wrong way” or too little or not enough. Everyone is different and everyone’s study requirements and habits are different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending