The Student Room Group

Change from History to History & Economics?

Hi,

I have confirmed admission to read History at Oxford.

I want to check - is it possible for me to change from History to History & Economics? Does Oxford permit such change? What’s the best way to seek such change?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by oxhist2018
Hi,

I want to check - is it possible for me to change from History to History & Economics? Does Oxford permit such change? What’s the best way to seek such change?

Thanks!

Contact your college and ask them. It's not a trivial thing to change course, even between related courses such as these, but there's no harm in asking. Even if the College is open to the idea of a switch in principle, they will very likely need to test whether you would have been admitted for the other degree and check, for instance, that your Maths is up to the requirements of the Economics part of HEco. The only way to find out is to ask them. It's worth saying that making the enquiry can't put your place to study History at risk.
Reply 2
Thanks. I have taken higher level maths and economics at A-level. So hopefully if I ask they will consider. I am inclined to ask after I matriculate. Will that be ok?
Reply 3
Thanks. I have taken higher level maths and economics at A-level. So hopefully if I ask they will consider. I am inclined to ask after I matriculate. Will that be ok?

I can't really say what's OK - it's up to you, I'm afraid. The one scenario I can think of in which delaying the enquiry might lead to a less favourable outcome is in the event that, come A-level confirmation, they exercise some discretion (over open offers or with a near miss) that fills their capacity for Economics teaching with another candidate when they might not have done if they had known you wanted to switch. This is rather unlikely, though.
Reply 4
Thanks - you make interesting point.
Hi,

Thanks!

Hist/Econ is reckoned to be more competitive than straight History and although students have to perform well in two separate disciplines, results tend to be very good because it attracts applicants who are strong candidates. Our expectation is that you would be interviewed if the Economics Tutors are willing to consider a transfer and you would need to perform as well as candidates interviewed in the December round. We also think you would be asked about your reasons/motivation for wanting to transfer.

We think that the best option at present is for you to contact the college making the offer, addressing the latter point.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks BrasenoseAdm!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending