The Student Room Group

non whites aren't british?

Okay so I've come across alot of white british people who tell me that despite living in the UK my whole life the fact that I feel british is not correct because my ancestors aren't british. But I'm just describing how I feel it's a sense of belonging which I don't feel with any other country in the world. The best anaology I can think of for this is. When someone adopts a baby and then that baby grows up seeing the person who adopted them as their parent. Is that childs love for their parent automatically not as much as a childs love for their biological parent? And is the adopted childs parent not their parent just because they're not a biological parent?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by celina10
Okay so I've come across a lot of white british people who tell me that despite living in the UK my whole life the fact that I feel british is not correct because my ancestors aren't british. But I'm just describing how I feel it's a sense of belonging which I don't feel with any other country in the world. The best anaology I can think of for this is. When someone adopts a baby and then that baby grows up seeing the person who adopted them as their parent. Is that childs love for their parent automatically not as much as a childs love for their biological parent? And is the adopted childs parent not their parent just because they're not a biological parent?

If you were born and raised in Britain... then you’re British. Simple as that. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a d***head 🙂 most of these people will have ancestors who aren’t British as well, so they are talking out of their backsides.
Original post by Rachmaninov
If you were born and raised in Britain... then you’re British. Simple as that. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a d***head 🙂 most of these people will have ancestors who aren’t British as well, so they are talking out of their backsides.

I wish I can keep on repping. This is the perfect advice right here.
Personally I think that’s rubbish- these so called ‘white British’ will have been descended from immigrants somewhere along the line, even at the stage of ancient history so they’re hypocrites!
Ignore them. If you’re proud to be British that’s great.
Original post by ProRoadman
I wish I can keep on repping. This is the perfect advice right here.

Thanks 🙂
Okay so I've come across alot of white british people who tell me that despite living in the UK my whole life the fact that I feel british is not correct because my ancestors aren't british. But I'm just describing how I feel it's a sense of belonging which I don't feel with any other country in the world. The best anaology I can think of for this is. When someone adopts a baby and then that baby grows up seeing the person who adopted them as their parent. Is that childs love for their parent automatically not as much as a childs love for their biological parent? And is the adopted childs parent not their parent just because they're not a biological parent?

I'm Australian.

My parents were born in Britain, I was born in Australia, spent 25 years there, then moved to England. I'm still Australian. :smile:

It's nothing to do with what other people think, it's about how you feel.
Original post by Rachmaninov
Thanks 🙂

You’re welcome. 😁

Ignore them if you were born here or your passport is UK one then you are British. 100% dont worry. You sound British to me.
Got a British passport (or are eligible to have one)? You're British. Doesn't matter what colour, race, religion you are, and it doesn't matter if you've had it since birth or acquired it.

The fact that someone might have lived all their life in Britain may not automatically make them British. But that isn't important. I have no problem with anyone feeling British.

The whole 'your ancestors weren't British' is nonsense, go back far enough and all our ancestors were from Africa.
Reply 9
With Tommy Robinson now in jail why is that kind of racist rhetoric still alive? :biggrin:
Reply 10

A DNA test would show that you are not even European let alone British.
Original post by jarr777
A DNA test would show that you are not even European let alone British.

okay, and your point is..?
Reply 12
Original post by bowl-of-rice
okay, and your point is..?

That Northern Europeans exist.
Original post by jarr777
That Northern Europeans exist.

So what? If someone was born on Britain, you can’t deport them cause they are British especially if they were born and raised in Britain and haven’t lived anywhere else.
If you’re born in Britain then you’re British. Also just because you are white it doesn’t mean you are a full on Brit that has lived here since life began- some White British people had ancestry of being Irish, Scottish, and others. So for some people to assume someone is not British due to someone’s colour in this time is just outdated. 🙄✊🏾🇬🇧
(edited 5 years ago)
Calm down ladies

The passport says it all
the only thing you're not is english
Original post by ProRoadman
So what? If someone was born on Britain, you can’t deport them cause they are British especially if they were born and raised in Britain and haven’t lived anywhere else.

True that. I was born and raised here therefore meaning that I'm British. I think to be able to be considered English, your ancestors needed to have been British??? Correct me if I'm wrong. :s-smilie: Also, @ProRoadman , were you invited to that discord thingie?
I'm not British, I'm English, screw that that rubbish.
Original post by ShantelleLuis
True that. I was born and raised here therefore meaning that I'm British. I think to be able to be considered English, your ancestors needed to have been British??? Correct me if I'm wrong. :s-smilie: Also, @ProRoadman , were you invited to that discord thingie?

Discord? I wsn’t even invited to anything. ☹️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending