The Student Room Group

Social psychology degree VS Psychology- maths

Will there be less maths in a social psychology degree vs just a normal psychology degree, or will it be about the same?
Original post by katie091000
Will there be less maths in a social psychology degree vs just a normal psychology degree, or will it be about the same?

There will be less, but if it's BPS accredited there will still be a fair bit. Equally it's only stats which is quite different to 'normal' maths, and much of it will be on the program SPSS anyway and the rest following formulae. So if you're okay with that then you'll be fine. If it's not BPS accredited I would really have a long think about doing it- it really limits your options afterwards and you won't be able to do anything psychology related at all. So I would take your chances and go for the normal one, you'll be far from the only one that isn't sure about the maths side and they do teach it.
Original post by furryface12
There will be less, but if it's BPS accredited there will still be a fair bit. Equally it's only stats which is quite different to 'normal' maths, and much of it will be on the program SPSS anyway and the rest following formulae. So if you're okay with that then you'll be fine. If it's not BPS accredited I would really have a long think about doing it- it really limits your options afterwards and you won't be able to do anything psychology related at all. So I would take your chances and go for the normal one, you'll be far from the only one that isn't sure about the maths side and they do teach it.

Hi there,
It is BPS accredited- I’m looking at East Anglia uni :smile: I want to try and avoid statistics really as much as I can, but I know you can never really avoid it in Psychology. Have you done a Psychology degree?
Hi there,
It is BPS accredited- I’m looking at East Anglia uni :smile: I want to try and avoid statistics really as much as I can, but I know you can never really avoid it in Psychology. Have you done a Psychology degree?

Good :smile: the social emphasis will give you your best chance of doing less, obviously there will still be some but yeah. I've done my first year, going into second :smile: I've really enjoyed it so far, I'm lucky in that I like maths but even those that don't have I think. A whole degree focused on social psych would be my idea of hell, it's very interesting I'm sure but just makes my mind boggle :colondollar: those that like it love it though!
Original post by furryface12
Good :smile: the social emphasis will give you your best chance of doing less, obviously there will still be some but yeah. I've done my first year, going into second :smile: I've really enjoyed it so far, I'm lucky in that I like maths but even those that don't have I think. A whole degree focused on social psych would be my idea of hell, it's very interesting I'm sure but just makes my mind boggle :colondollar: those that like it love it though!

Oh wow this is so interesting to me! So what are your favourite parts of Psychology at degree level? I’m trying to focus more on Social as like I’ve previously mentioned- the maths scares me but I also hope to go in Psychotherapy/ Clinical Psychology. The one downfall I have with Psychology is that I always write the format of essays wrong. I write like an English student, and so naturally I, ‘waffle,’ too much, (I over explain things,) and I’m trying to get out of that issue!
Oh wow this is so interesting to me! So what are your favourite parts of Psychology at degree level? I’m trying to focus more on Social as like I’ve previously mentioned- the maths scares me but I also hope to go in Psychotherapy/ Clinical Psychology. The one downfall I have with Psychology is that I always write the format of essays wrong. I write like an English student, and so naturally I, ‘waffle,’ too much, (I over explain things,) and I’m trying to get out of that issue!

I like the developmental and cognitive parts best! I considered UEA's developmental degree as it happens but it didn't work location/disability-wise for me.

You might find clinical psych easier with a more general degree as it comes much more from cognitive/other areas than social, but you will have done all areas to an extent anyway. It's just worth a thought. Don't worry about the essay thing, you have plenty of time! I'd never written an essay bar GCSE English (I did maths/science A levels) so you're at a big advantage over me :tongue: at least you know that's your weak point and you'll have a strict word limit to work to anyway. It's a tough balance to get at first- I tend to under rather than over explain- but you'll get there :smile:
Social psychology will be sociology with a psychology module in it, there is barely any psychology, have done it. There is not much SPSS either, so if you hate statistics, it may be a good choice for you. However, you really have to like sociology, unfortunately I did not and left that course after a year. The lesson learnt was to actually research the course content before hand.
Original post by random_matt
Social psychology will be sociology with a psychology module in it, there is barely any psychology, have done it. There is not much SPSS either, so if you hate statistics, it may be a good choice for you. However, you really have to like sociology, unfortunately I did not and left that course after a year. The lesson learnt was to actually research the course content before hand.

Hi, thanks so much for your reply!
I take sociology a level and I actually got the top grade in my year in a mock exam, (totally unexpected.)
I just hope a social psychology degree would still be considered suitable to be able to work in a Clinical environment, as I want to peruse a profession in Psychology. Do you think it’ll be okay?
Hi, thanks so much for your reply!
I take sociology a level and I actually got the top grade in my year in a mock exam, (totally unexpected.)
I just hope a social psychology degree would still be considered suitable to be able to work in a Clinical environment, as I want to peruse a profession in Psychology. Do you think it’ll be okay?

My opinion, probably not. Best discuss that with someone else, who that may be I have no idea. Working in clinical would likely be best suited towards psychological education, but best ask a uni lecturer or whatever. What exactly is the career you want to pursue?
My opinion, probably not. Best discuss that with someone else, who that may be I have no idea. Working in clinical would likely be best suited towards psychological education, but best ask a uni lecturer or whatever. What exactly is the career you want to pursue?

My aim is to go into psychotherapy/clinical psychology.
Do you have an idea of what this kind of course can lead me down career wise?
My aim is to go into psychotherapy/clinical psychology.
Do you have an idea of what this kind of course can lead me down career wise?

Yeah, psychology. I know there are psychodynamic courses around, think so anyway.
Yeah, psychology. I know there are psychodynamic courses around, think so anyway.

So what kind of career choices do you think would have with a social psychology degree? Would I still be able to work in a psychological environment?
So what kind of career choices do you think would have with a social psychology degree? Would I still be able to work in a psychological environment?

Mostly research if you took the title at face value.
This list will give you an idea:
https://www.learnpsychology.org/social-psychology/ (US, doesn't matter)

Where is this social psychology degree?

Quick Reply

Latest