The Student Room Group

Predicted grades

Got BBC in my internal end of year 12 exams but need ABB for the university I want to go to. I deserved my grades as I only worked at about 30 - 40 percent intensity all year round, I treated them the same as I did GCSE's and expected to do better but in reality I was just lazy and got the grades I deserved.

I have now been predicted BBC, I know I can get at least AAB if I work hard next year, how can I convince my teachers of this as I have been getting B's and C's all year due to a lack of effort. Any advice would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Just to add, I was 1 mark off the A in geography and 3 marks off an A in Biology however, they have said that due to a lack of consistency ie me doing no revision all year until 2 weeks before exams, they will not put my predicted grades up. I need to go to a good university. I know that next year I will work harder and do better, but my motivation will be gone if I don't even get offers from good unis cause of my **** predicted grades. Help :/
email your subject teachers to ask
no harm in asking
and make it seem like you are going to work for those grades regardless
explain your situation
Original post by Jordzeyy
email your subject teachers to ask
no harm in asking
and make it seem like you are going to work for those grades regardless
explain your situation

I have had a parents evening in which we discussed the matter however, none of them will budge, I am extremely frustrated because I know that I should have done better, all I need is a second chance but no one is willing to give it to me. :frown:
I would maybe try to budge them to BBB instead, and then look for either courses with that requirement or put in aspirational offers
Original post by Anonymoususer16
I have had a parents evening in which we discussed the matter however, none of them will budge, I am extremely frustrated because I know that I should have done better, all I need is a second chance but no one is willing to give it to me. :frown:

^^^^^^
I would maybe try to budge them to BBB instead, and then look for either courses with that requirement or put in aspirational offers

It's the individual teachers that I am "arguing" with, I need at least two of them to go up by one grade.
for now look for courses at BBC requirements as those are still pretty good grades and you will get into a course that you will like I'm pretty sure, however all I can say around the matter of trying to get your teachers to agree with you is just to continuously asks and show your dedication
(edited 5 years ago)
for now look for courses at BBC requirements as those are still pretty good grades and you will get into a course that you will like I'm pretty sure, however all I can say around the matter of trying to get your teachers to agree with you is just to continuously asks and show your dedication

sorry I keep not quoting
Apply with your predictions and hope for the best. Even if you dont get your dream offer,

Achieve waaaaay better then your predicted and go shopping in adjustment, problem solved.

Getting your predictions higher is really on worth it at the very top end, ABB are still very average predictions.

The issue is that we only have a week left of sixth form before summer and the teachers decide on a final predicted grade over the summer, this means that I cannot demonstrate my dedication. Also, with the cost of university being so high for it to be a good investment for me I need to go to a prestigious/top university.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Apply with your predictions and hope for the best. Even if you dont get your dream offer,

Achieve waaaaay better then your predicted and go shopping in adjustment, problem solved.

Getting your predictions higher is really on worth it at the very top end, ABB are still very average predictions.

But will unis requiring ABB/AAB even consider me with my horrible predicted grades :frown: Also with adjustment, I assume that is dependent on open spaces which there probably won't be any at top unis...?
The issue is that we only have a week left of sixth form before summer and the teachers decide on a final predicted grade over the summer, this means that I cannot demonstrate my dedication. Also, with the cost of university being so high for it to be a good investment for me I need to go to a prestigious/top university.
before I go on may I ask what degree or course you want to do
But will unis requiring ABB/AAB even consider me with my horrible predicted grades :frown: Also with adjustment, I assume that is dependent on open spaces which there probably won't be any at top unis...?

There are always places at top uni's....not the top 5 but from there on down almost always, especially for ABB courses, those generally arent at the most elite unis.

There are tons of RG places every year to be filled in clearing, remember only about 12% of A level students achieve AAB or higher.
before I go on may I ask what degree or course you want to do

I am currently looking at Computer Science at Newcastle, Nottingham and Lancaster, however I haven't decided yet and I am also v interested in Biology.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
There are always places at top uni's....not the top 5 but from there on down almost always, especially for ABB courses, those generally arent at the most elite unis.

There are tons of RG places every year to be filled in clearing, remember only about 12% of A level students achieve AAB or higher.

I was looking at Newcastle, Nottingham and Lancaster for Computer Science as they do not require maths
You could take a gap year and apply with your actual grades. Or apply now for lower grade places and see if anything turns up in adjustment - if not choose to take a gap year then.
Original post by 2childmum
You could take a gap year and apply with your actual grades. Or apply now for lower grade places and see if anything turns up in adjustment - if not choose to take a gap year then.

Don't particularly like the idea of a gap year but I guess it's always a back up plan. I just feel like my teachers are limiting my success as it is so demotivating knowing that even if I do well I won't have a secured place at my preferred uni.
I am currently looking at Computer Science at Newcastle, Nottingham and Lancaster, however I haven't decided yet and I am also v interested in Biology.

check to see there rules about predicted grades and also look at how they use your personal statement because that could play to your advantage, however I would look at the admission statistics as well and also look at the number of unfilled spaces a year. and if you don't get an offer, there's always UCAS extra and clearing.
Reply 19
Got BBC in my internal end of year 12 exams but need ABB for the university I want to go to. I deserved my grades as I only worked at about 30 - 40 percent intensity all year round, I treated them the same as I did GCSE's and expected to do better but in reality I was just lazy and got the grades I deserved.

I have now been predicted BBC, I know I can get at least AAB if I work hard next year, how can I convince my teachers of this as I have been getting B's and C's all year due to a lack of effort. Any advice would be appreciated.

Predicted Grades are harsh, and teachers are encouraged to be realistic rather than optimistic (in cases were student's do not achieve the very high grades teachers predict them for UCAS, it diminishes the value of this predicted grade system).

Being brutally honest, "I know I can get at least AAB if I work hard next year" means absolutely nothing to any subject teacher in changing your predicted grades, especially if the consensus of all your previous tests is Bs and Cs (and yes it shows consistency). However, on a positive note, you can ask your teachers if there is anything you can do, for them to change your predictions, in terms of more work.

Quick Reply

Latest