The Student Room Group

Is having a cheap CCTV setup in your dorm room weird?

Title says it all. Thinking about having one when I go.
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes
Yes. Very.
What did you have in mind? If you think things are going missing then no.
If you intend to put a camera up outside your room, then yes and some of the housemates wont be happy.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
What did you have in mind? If you think things are going missing then no.
If you intend to put a camera up outside your room, then yes and some of the housemates wont be happy.

Just a few cameras to ensure my laptop, tablet and guitars don't get stolen. All inside my room, they'll be discrete. I've heard a lot of horror stories about things like that, and I can't afford losing them.
Original post by bolt3791
Just a few cameras to ensure my laptop, tablet and guitars don't get stolen. All inside my room, they'll be discrete. I've heard a lot of horror stories about things like that, and I can't afford losing them.

Is this uni accommodation?

If its on your own room then up to you.

Maybe also get them marked and put tracking stuff on.

Being burgled is more likely. I would tend to think its less likely with your actual flatmates. You soon get an idea.
(edited 5 years ago)
Thanks.

No one is going to steal your stuff. Just make sure you only have cheap things in your dorm
It shouldn't be necessary. I took my laptop, tablet, several current gen consoles, and TV to uni. I didn't advertise what I had in my room (only people I let in the entire time I was there were two friends who lived outwith halls) and kept the curtains closed when I was out as I lived on the ground floor.
Thanks.

Yes it's weird. Just keep your door locked - it's as simple as that. My uni had a policy where if anything was stolen from your room and your room was locked, you're covered by insurance. However if you left your room unlocked and things were stolen, that's your own fault for being so careless.
Can you not lock your door?
I'm intrigued. I think this is an interesting and good idea!

I can understand the downside is that anyone who is invited over is then being recorded. Someone will need to correct me if I am wrong, but does that not mean you'll need to flag up the fact you have CCTV?
Yeah, pretty weird.
Don't do it. Get insurance instead.

Original post by DrSebWilkes
I'm intrigued. I think this is an interesting and good idea!

I can understand the downside is that anyone who is invited over is then being recorded. Someone will need to correct me if I am wrong, but does that not mean you'll need to flag up the fact you have CCTV?

And any partner they bring back will be unaware that they're featuring in a sex tape.
*plot twist.... the CCTV gets stolen....
Original post by Drewski
Yeah, pretty weird.
Don't do it. Get insurance instead.

And any partner they bring back will be unaware that they're featuring in a sex tape.

A lot of CCTV, cheaper certainly so, does not feature sound, and if the cameras are pointed towards items that are generally fixed, such as a Laptop, and not the bed (I assume that's where most of the action occurs), then what's the issue?

Also even if someone inadvertently got caught in the sex tape, it's illegal to do anything with it.
Really very unnecessary - halls commonly now have an electronic keycard for getting in and out of places if not an actual key - usually a door to get into your block, then your flat, then your actual room. It is very rare anything would be stolen other than by someone you physically let into your room.
And after first year it shouldn't matter anyway if you pick who you live with well :smile:
Is it against uni policy? You'd have to check whether you'd actually be allowed to set one up as there are privacy issues if other people are recorded as a result without express consent (although, you could tell them about it and make it public knowledge so your chances of your stuff being stolen is further reduced). Just something I'd keep in mind.
Sounds like you're more likely to create a legal problem than solve one.

Very odd.
(edited 5 years ago)
sounds okay to me, although you should get an insurance instead (and learn how to take care not to get things stolen)

just make sure your uni allows this

and don't invite anyone over lol just in case it isn't legal or something
Reply 18
Thanks.

Are you in America?
it's really, really weird and you will always be known as that weird guy with his cctv cameras. I don't even know what would possess you to think this up.

Quick Reply