The Student Room Group

revision

could anyone let me know any of their tips on how to revise or take notes.thanks
Original post by jakubmamot
could anyone let me know any of their tips on how to revise or take notes.thanks

Mind maps, flash cards, practice papers, making quizzes, testing yourself, rewriting notes etc.
Take good class notes and don’t worry about the messiness too much. Then go home and rewrite them into revision notes. Use a textbook, revision guides or websites to make sure you have all the best information.
Then prepare mindmaps, flashcards and Quizlet sets. This is revision in itself and can be used for revision later when you actuslly use the resources.
To revise, read it over, be tested, test yourself, do practise questions (!!) and past papers, read mark schemes carefully and correct your work (or redo long-answer questions), read examiners reports, teach other people or pretend like you are, test yourself by writing things on whiteboards and making sure you have everything, etc.

Practise questions are really the key to success though!
Rather than thinking in terms of "I need to do X amount of hours of revision", put aside each day of your revision timetable to learn a specific topic e.g. "On Tuesday I shall learn about glycolysis, the krebs cycle and maybe oxidative phosphorylation".

Focus on understanding a topic/area, rather than aiming for a specific amount of hours. If it takes you 2 hours to learn it so be it, if it takes 5 hours so be it :smile:
Original post by DrawTheLine
Mind maps, flash cards, practice papers, making quizzes, testing yourself, rewriting notes etc.

Yes, those are great suggestions! I would add that when you rewrite notes you do it on your own as much as possible. Like, if the note is on glycolysis - write everything you can remember without reading the original note. And then read it just to make sure you got everything right. I like this technique for rewriting notes - https://theeffortfuleducator.com/2017/09/14/color-coding-recall-attempts-to-assess-learning/

Also, with "testing yourself", there are good websites that help, like quizlet, seneca learning and tassomai. You can try them and see if you like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending