The Student Room Group

Epq help!!!

Can someone give me ideas for a Biology EPQ. I really wanted to do one on Gene Therapy , but my exam board requires some kind of debate.. anyone know any debates within this? other than is it ethical or not etc
An obvious one is whether or not it is likely to be used more widely in the future of medicine. Here you could discuss the different vectors for gene therapy (viral, non-living, etc.), the safety of each one, the efficacy of each one then conclude about the likelihood of its use in the healthcare system. This allows for debate easily as you could say "they are safe because blah blah" "however blah blah suggests its not" and has a big scope of research (I did a little bit about viral gene therapy in mine and there seemed to be quite a bit there).

Hope I've helped!
Original post by yeahthatonethere
An obvious one is whether or not it is likely to be used more widely in the future of medicine. Here you could discuss the different vectors for gene therapy (viral, non-living, etc.), the safety of each one, the efficacy of each one then conclude about the likelihood of its use in the healthcare system. This allows for debate easily as you could say "they are safe because blah blah" "however blah blah suggests its not" and has a big scope of research (I did a little bit about viral gene therapy in mine and there seemed to be quite a bit there).

Hope I've helped!

Thank you, ill ask my teacher to see if thats okay... you mentioned that you did viral geen theraoy in yours, what was your question
helps with inspiration for title ideas :smile: :wink:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by UserenameNot
Thank you, ill ask my teacher to see if thats okay... you mentioned that you did viral geen theraoy in yours, what was your question
helps with inspiration for title ideas :smile: :wink:

I can't remember the exact title but my topic was on the prospect of using bacteria and viruses in the treatment of disease so I covered viral gene therapy, phage therapy, oncolytic viruses and bacterial therapy for cancer. It was a really interesting topic!
Original post by yeahthatonethere
I can't remember the exact title but my topic was on the prospect of using bacteria and viruses in the treatment of disease so I covered viral gene therapy, phage therapy, oncolytic viruses and bacterial therapy for cancer. It was a really interesting topic!

Hi! me again sorry. I was just wondering if you had to collect primary data for your epq, and how you managed to get it. I feel like primary data for gene therapy would be hard to collect, although i do need a mixture in order to receive a good grade.

Thanks!!!
Original post by UserenameNot
Hi! me again sorry. I was just wondering if you had to collect primary data for your epq, and how you managed to get it. I feel like primary data for gene therapy would be hard to collect, although i do need a mixture in order to receive a good grade.

Thanks!!!

Yeah I did collect it just to get more sources! I basically just went on the faculty part of university websites and searched for researchers with interests/research into what I was doing and then sent them an email with a few questions. I got about 3 responses from 9 emails so they do respond! What you ask will depend on your question but I asked things like what they believed the prospects of these treatments were and if they thought there were better ones out there. Responses like this are classed as primary data as you are collecting it yourself so just send out as many as you can! (I only asked 9 due to my niche topic but gene therapy should have a lot of current research going on!)

Quick Reply

Latest