The Student Room Group

Ask a Law Student

Question says it all really. Feel free to ask away...

Scroll to see replies

Which university are you studying at? (Although it’s fine if you don’t wish to answer that question!)

What modules did you take this year, and how did you find each one?

I’ll hopefully be a law student in a year or two so would love some insight on the different units!
Reply 2
Original post by FloralHybrid
Which university are you studying at? (Although it’s fine if you don’t wish to answer that question!)

What modules did you take this year, and how did you find each one?

I’ll hopefully be a law student in a year or two so would love some insight on the different units!

Newcastle University, hence the forum I've posted in :wink:

My first year modules were all compulsory - they were: Legal Institutions and Method (a kind of introduction to law if you like), Public Law, Contract Law, Land Law.

I found each of them very interesting, though some more than others at times. Some aspects of LIM were quite hard, especially the philisophical side, but the exam allowed me to choose what I could revise so I could miss it out.

I found public law probably the most interesting. It was very political in nature as you look at the make up of Parliament and legal issues it faces, such as devolution, judicial review and human rights.

Contract law could mess with your head at times, but once you sit back and see the whole picture it becomes quite easy to read and determine a contract. You just need to stick with it in this module I would say.

Land law was very dry at times I won't lie, but surprisingly interesting regarding some of the rights of landowners you learn about! The first few topics are boring but they just introduce you to the concept, it's a very strange area of law for people our age as they've never encountered it before. But you learn some very good life skills in land law which you can use throughout your life, such as renting and owning your home.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by LGBTvoice
Newcastle University, hence the forum I've posted in :wink:

My first year modules were all compulsory - they were: Legal Institutions and Method (a kind of introduction to law if you like), Public Law, Contract Law, Land Law.

I found each of them very interesting, though some more than others at times. Some aspects of LIM were quite hard, especially the philisophical side, but the exam allowed me to choose what I could revise so I could miss it out.

I found public law probably the most interesting. It was very political in nature as you look at the make up of Parliament and legal issues it faces, such as devolution, judicial review and human rights.

Contract law could mess with your head at times, but once you sit back and see the whole picture it becomes quite easy to read and determine a contract. You just need to stick with it in this module I would say.

Land law was very dry at times I won't lie, but surprisingly interesting regarding some of the rights of landowners you learn about! The first few topics are boring but they just introduce you to the concept, it's a very strange area of law for people our age as they've never encountered it before. But you learn some very good life skills in land law which you can use throughout your life, such as renting and owning your home.

Hope this helps :smile:

Oopsie! As I’m on mobile I can’t see the forum it got posted in - Just under recents ☺️

Thank you for the insight! What modules will you be taking next year?
Reply 4
Original post by FloralHybrid
Oopsie! As I’m on mobile I can’t see the forum it got posted in - Just under recents ☺️

Thank you for the insight! What modules will you be taking next year?

Ahahah no worries it's fine :wink:

I'll be doing four modules again next year, also compulsory. I am unable to choose any modules until third year. My second year modules are:
EU Law, Criminal Law, Tort Law, and Equity and Trusts.

I'm looking forward to them all to be fair, I've studied criminal and tort at A Level and so I'm hoping I'll be able to adapt to them fairly well. I've never studied equity and trusts though the university told me Land Law in first year will give you a good understanding to start learning the thick of that fairly early on. EU law will be very interesting, not least because when I actually sit my exam next May/June we won't even be in the EU. Nevertheless, I'm still looking forward to learning it! :smile:
Reply 5
Question says it all really. Feel free to ask away...

I'm looking at Newcastle for politics and was wondering what your thoughts were generally? Do you like the area, the social life, the student societies etc.
Thank you
Reply 6
Original post by kbegley
I'm looking at Newcastle for politics and was wondering what your thoughts were generally? Do you like the area, the social life, the student societies etc.
Thank you

Hey, obviously with me not doing politics I can't go into the specifics of that course in particular, but the politics building is right next to the Law School and so is still in a decent location.

Newcastle itself is a lovely city. I originally come from around 3-4 hours away and had never visited the city until I came to university but it was the best decision I could have ever taken! The locals are very friendly and the city feels safe to walk around. The social life is brilliant, and if you mean in terms of nights out then there is a wide variety of pubs, bars and clubs to suit everyone's tastes. Regarding societies, there are literally hundreds. I remember walking round the society fair on my first day at the university and was overwhelmed by the different activities you can get involved in...from all the sports you can think of to drinking tea to pole dancing - there really is something for everyone! The NUSU website has details of all the societies and I would highly recommend looking at it before you arrive so you have an idea of what you're looking for when joining societies.

There isn't physically enough space for me to write absolutely everything about the city but I hope that summary has helped. If you have any other specific questions or want me to expand on anything I've stated I'd be more than happy to help :smile:
Reply 7
Hey, obviously with me not doing politics I can't go into the specifics of that course in particular, but the politics building is right next to the Law School and so is still in a decent location.

Newcastle itself is a lovely city. I originally come from around 3-4 hours away and had never visited the city until I came to university but it was the best decision I could have ever taken! The locals are very friendly and the city feels safe to walk around. The social life is brilliant, and if you mean in terms of nights out then there is a wide variety of pubs, bars and clubs to suit everyone's tastes. Regarding societies, there are literally hundreds. I remember walking round the society fair on my first day at the university and was overwhelmed by the different activities you can get involved in...from all the sports you can think of to drinking tea to pole dancing - there really is something for everyone! The NUSU website has details of all the societies and I would highly recommend looking at it before you arrive so you have an idea of what you're looking for when joining societies.

There isn't physically enough space for me to write absolutely everything about the city but I hope that summary has helped. If you have any other specific questions or want me to expand on anything I've stated I'd be more than happy to help :smile:

Thank you it's great to hear what students think of the uni!
Hey i have a question. How many optional modules do you have to choose in Law?
Hey you said public Law looks at legal issues like human rights. Do you recommend i should fully revise the WHOLE human rights book or any other book to understand the public law book?
(edited 5 years ago)
Will i have to study EU even after brexit? im 14 by the way
@Gingerbread101 is also about and happy to answer questions about Law at uni. :woo:
Do you want to take the common route of using a Law degree to become a solicitor or barrister? Also, do you think it is a good idea for me to study Law even though I have no interest in practising law? I'm more into non-lawyer jobs.

@Gingerbread101
@Michael Jackson
@GOD
@life
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Be Only You
Do you want to take the common route of using a Law degree to become a solicitor or barrister? Also, do you think it is a good idea for me to study Law even though I have no interest in practising law? I'm more into non-lawyer jobs.

@Gingerbread101
@Michael Jackson
@GOD
@life

I'm currently looking to start the route to becoming a solicitor, however because I'm looking at London firms there is a very real chance that I won't be successful. In that case, I still think my degree (and other experience, which is basically essential for any job nowadays) is adaptable to lots of different careers :smile: however, I think compared to other degrees, Law is quite a lot of effort if you already know you're not going to be going into Law with it
Original post by failurefearer
Hey i have a question. How many optional modules do you have to choose in Law?

Every uni does this differently. In my first year I had 7 compulsory modules, in second I had 3 optional and 3 compulsory, and in third I have a dissertation and 4 optional modules
Will i have to study EU even after brexit? im 14 by the way

At the minute it's a compulsory part of a qualifying law degree, but the SRA will re-assess this as our post-Brexit relationship with the EU becomes clearer
Ok. Thanks!
@Gingerbread101 can you please tell me all the CORE modules you studied?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Gingerbread101
At the minute it's a compulsory part of a qualifying law degree, but the SRA will re-assess this as our post-Brexit relationship with the EU becomes clearer

Can you please tell me ALL CORE modules you studied and are all core modules in the LLB the SAME for EVERY university?
Can you please tell me ALL CORE modules you studied and are all core modules in the LLB the SAME for EVERY university?

They may be spread over different years, but the compulsory modules for a qualifying law degree are constitutional law, contract law, criminal law, trusts law, EU law, land law and tort law :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest