The Student Room Group

Teach First applications 2019: discussion thread

Hi all, applications have opened for Teach First 2019 so I thought I would start a discussion for those applying!

If you’re applying, have you stated preferences for location/subject? If so, what are they?😌

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

I have just started my application for Teach First 2019. I am interested in teaching English, but as I study BA English and History then I have also put History down as a second option.

My preferable location would be North West, but I am currently based in the East Midlands for University.
All the best
Currently applying for Teach First. Applying for primary in the South/London :smile:
Applying for Teach First primary, hopefully in the South East. Torn between Teach First and Premier Pathways.
Reply 5
If you want any advice please ask, I have just completed my first year of teach first (I am a 2017 participant).
Hi I have my AC appointment on the 10th July for Primary (hopefully EY). I am more of a mature student now and am limited to how far I can travel as I have a mortgage. Where were you based and was it where you wanted? Also any tips on the assessments and a little how your first year has been would be great. Thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Elin Paulson
Hi I have my AC appointment on the 10th July for Primary (hopefully EY). I am more of a mature student now and am limited to how far I can travel as I have a mortgage. Where were you based and was it where you wanted? Also any tips on the assessments and a little how your first year has been would be great. Thanks :smile:

I got given exactly where I wanted - if you get through theres forms that you can justify why you want a particular area and things like mortgages will ensure that you get priority.

Assessment centre, make sure you know your competencies for the interview and have good examples. The group task - for me it helped to get to know other participants. Just be really reflective on yours and others performances. Same with the lesson, be really reflective. Make sure you check for understanding.

First year has been good - it's been extremely difficult, but I've loved it. I was placed with a very very hard class - known throughout the school as the worst and my TF mentor commented constantly on how challenging its been. However, I've really enjoyed it and teaching primary is wonderful.
Thank you. That has been really helpful. I’m swatting up as we speak :smile:
You should be aware that when Teach First takes people on to their programme, they don't actually have jobs lined up - they estimate how many jobs they will have and take on people to match. If they get fewer schools wanting teachers than expected, you might find yourself booted off the programme. This is what happened to me - and the first I knew about any problem was TWO DAYS before I was due to start full-time training (in June of this year). Prior to this, there had been no suggestion that my place was anything but definite, but Teach First simply referred me to the fine print which says that they can withdraw a place at any time. I have since found out that this is a frequent problem with subjects that are more popular and in which there is less of a teacher shortage, such as primary, but that Teach First continue to recruit people without warning that the place on the programme is not guaranteed.
Interesting. Thank you for sharing that. I did read the fine print but thought I read that they will defer your place if there are no placements that year. Thank you.
I am in the process of also applying for the LDP and wish someone could give me some advice for the competency based questions. Thank you.
I have just been accepted onto the programme, so excited to get started. The competency questions, which ones do you need help with Tactical1ty?
Original post by Elslok74
I have just been accepted onto the programme, so excited to get started. The competency questions, which ones do you need help with Tactical1ty?

Congrats on being accepted!

I am applying to secondary Geography in the South East. I had my assessment day on the 28th June and am still waiting to hear back. How long after your assessment day did you hear back?
Original post by amaraemily
Congrats on being accepted!

I am applying to secondary Geography in the South East. I had my assessment day on the 28th June and am still waiting to hear back. How long after your assessment day did you hear back?

My assessment day was the 20th June and I got a phone call on 26th June asking me to complete an extra assignment. I completed that and then I got an email on the 9th of July with a provisional offer. I just have all the paperwork to fill out (can I call it paperwork if it's all online?) I'm hoping to do secondary mathematics in the Yorkshire and Humber area.
I just got an offer to teach geography in the south east. I had my assessment day on the 28th of June and heard back exactly 2 weeks (10 business days) later.
I had my assessment centre day on July 3rd, so almost exactly 2 weeks ago. I haven't heard anything back yet and trying not to worry! I applied for Primary in the North West which seemed to be really popular with other applicants.
I had my assessment day on the 4th of July. I got a phone call at 9am this morning telling me I've been offered a place to teach primary in Yorkshire.

I am over the moon!!
Good luck to everyone else 😁
Original post by clrharrison
I had my assessment day on the 4th of July. I got a phone call at 9am this morning telling me I've been offered a place to teach primary in Yorkshire.

I am over the moon!!
Good luck to everyone else 😁

Congratulations that's amazing!!! Did you get an email as well as a phone call?

My assessment day was the day before yours but I still haven't heard anything so I'm feeling a little less confident as I was told I'd hear within two weeks :frown:
Original post by loniskye
Congratulations that's amazing!!! Did you get an email as well as a phone call?

My assessment day was the day before yours but I still haven't heard anything so I'm feeling a little less confident as I was told I'd hear within two weeks :frown:

No I just got a phone call straight away, I haven't had an email yet. I'm sure you'll hear something soon, I just put it to the back of my mind and by that point I wasn't stressing so it came as more of a surprise, however, it's easier said than done!

Quick Reply