The Student Room Group

Note taking at uni ...Thinking ahead coz I’m bored ..

Those of you who are already at uni, how do you best take notes? I saw something on here about different apps and so on. I’m a bit crap with note taking and when I get home I’m thinking what the hell was I talking about or if it’s fast paced I write scruffy . Does anyone use apps? Or can you take your laptop into lectures ?

I’m studying biology by the way :smile:

Just got a busy mind whilst bored 😄
I also studied Biology and I went through many different ways before settling on the best way for me.

- First I just wrote my notes on plain lined paper. This didn't work for me because the lectures were quite fast-paced and included diagrams which I couldn't copy down fast enough. This resulted in my notes being incomprehensible with gaps where I had missed the information. It also meant I had missed what my lecturer was actually saying because I was so focussed on the content on the board.
- Then I printed out handouts and annotated them. I liked this method because I could sit and listen knowing all the stuff on the board was already in front of me, and I could annotate my notes with what the lecturer was saying. However it used a lotttt of ink and paper and just seemed quite wasteful and some of the diagrams would be too small to read properly.
- Finally I just started bringing my laptop in with me, opened up the Powerpoint and wrote in the "presenter's notes" section underneath each slide. This was the best method for me because I could listen to the lecturer properly and I can type much faster than I can write. There were so many times where a complicated diagram was shown on the board and we would get told by the lecturer that we didn't have to learn it for the exam, or that a topic was included to aid our understanding but wouldn't be on the exam, etc. Whereas if I had just written notes I would have forgotten that by the time it came to revise, so I always noted things like that down on the Powerpoint. It also meant I always had my notes with me if I went to the library, etc. Also when revising it was easier to quickly open a Powerpoint than get up, grab my folder and sift through pages of notes to find the topic. By final year I would say probably 70% of the class was using laptops whereas in first year not many did.
'
Original post by Ridinghigh95
Those of you who are already at uni, how do you best take notes? I saw something on here about different apps and so on. I’m a bit crap with note taking and when I get home I’m thinking what the hell was I talking about or if it’s fast paced I write scruffy . Does anyone use apps? Or can you take your laptop into lectures ?

Hi, I study Pharmacy which involves human biology quite heavily. At my uni, our lecturers provide us with a handout of his presentation and I personally annotate the slides as the lecturer presents. However, there are times during a lecture where you will fall asleep or completely zone out or not understand whats going on, in which case it would be a really good idea to record your lectures. You can do this by the voice recorder in your phone but make sure after each lecture you rename your voice file otherwise its going to hit exam time and you'll be faffing around with 'file098dkjfhgiusdoasidb'. This way you can go through your lectures at your own convenience and get down everything the lecturer is saying. Some students like to make notes on a laptop which is also a good idea especially if your lecture powerpoints are made available to you before the lecture is given.
Original post by LeaX
I also studied Biology and I went through many different ways before settling on the best way for me.

- First I just wrote my notes on plain lined paper. This didn't work for me because the lectures were quite fast-paced and included diagrams which I couldn't copy down fast enough. This resulted in my notes being incomprehensible with gaps where I had missed the information. It also meant I had missed what my lecturer was actually saying because I was so focussed on the content on the board.
- Then I printed out handouts and annotated them. I liked this method because I could sit and listen knowing all the stuff on the board was already in front of me, and I could annotate my notes with what the lecturer was saying. However it used a lotttt of ink and paper and just seemed quite wasteful and some of the diagrams would be too small to read properly.
- Finally I just started bringing my laptop in with me, opened up the Powerpoint and wrote in the "presenter's notes" section underneath each slide. This was the best method for me because I could listen to the lecturer properly and I can type much faster than I can write. There were so many times where a complicated diagram was shown on the board and we would get told by the lecturer that we didn't have to learn it for the exam, or that a topic was included to aid our understanding but wouldn't be on the exam, etc. Whereas if I had just written notes I would have forgotten that by the time it came to revise, so I always noted things like that down on the Powerpoint. It also meant I always had my notes with me if I went to the library, etc. Also when revising it was easier to quickly open a Powerpoint than get up, grab my folder and sift through pages of notes to find the topic. By final year I would say probably 70% of the class was using laptops whereas in first year not many did.

That’s exactly what I’m like and I don’t want that to happen. I always miss what he’s saying which are important then I’m like wait what are we doing?? All the time! Even tho I’m trying all lesson I’m writing notes off the board and not listening as much. Then if I tried to listen and not take notes I’d lose out one way or the other!! So thank you, my laptop would be best for me I think as I’m also faster at typing . Thanks for the in depth response :smile:
Original post by xojellyxo
'

Hi, I study Pharmacy which involves human biology quite heavily. At my uni, our lecturers provide us with a handout of his presentation and I personally annotate the slides as the lecturer presents. However, there are times during a lecture where you will fall asleep or completely zone out or not understand whats going on, in which case it would be a really good idea to record your lectures. You can do this by the voice recorder in your phone but make sure after each lecture you rename your voice file otherwise its going to hit exam time and you'll be faffing around with 'file098dkjfhgiusdoasidb'. This way you can go through your lectures at your own convenience and get down everything the lecturer is saying. Some students like to make notes on a laptop which is also a good idea especially if your lecture powerpoints are made available to you before the lecture is given.

Hi thanks for your reply. Yeah I have thought about recording them also. I guess it will depend what’s given to me before hand or at the start and find out what works best. But laptop or recording seems like the best bet then being organise with them like you say and re naming them. Thank you!
Just take them down in lectures (Not stuff on the slides) and then use the Cornell method when at home.
I tend to write rough notes in lectures, but i would be focusing more on what the lecturer is saying (powerpoints are something you can always go over because they upload it online but lecturers can explain something or mention something that isnt included in the powerpoint so you dont want to miss that).

Then when i get home i write up everything neatly, incorporating both the lecturer's explainations and information from the powerpoint. If you have time, add in extra information from books you've read relating to that topic.
Original post by random_matt
Just take them down in lectures (Not stuff on the slides) and then use the Cornell method when at home.

What’s the cornell method?
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I tend to write rough notes in lectures, but i would be focusing more on what the lecturer is saying (powerpoints are something you can always go over because they upload it online but lecturers can explain something or mention something that isnt included in the powerpoint so you dont want to miss that).

Then when i get home i write up everything neatly, incorporating both the lecturer's explainations and information from the powerpoint. If you have time, add in extra information from books you've read relating to that topic.

That’s a good idea and yeah best to write down what they are talking about. I made that mistake a few times of writing down what we already had been given!
What’s the cornell method?

Google it.

I just take my laptop in and make notes if anything extra that's not on the slides.
Reply 11
During my first year of my biology degree I wrote notes, then second year I switched to using my laptop and using microsoft one note which meant I had everything I needed in one place. Now I'm finishing off my masters I've stuck with one note and typing :smile:
Original post by lilGem
During my first year of my biology degree I wrote notes, then second year I switched to using my laptop and using microsoft one note which meant I had everything I needed in one place. Now I'm finishing off my masters I've stuck with one note and typing :smile:

That’s cool, thank you!!
focus on active recall and spaced repetition, notes are kind of a waste of time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
focus on active recall and spaced repetition, notes are kind of a waste of time

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exactly do you mean by that? Haven’t heard of that before?
What exactly do you mean by that? Haven’t heard of that before?

https://youtu.be/ukLnPbIffxE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending