The Student Room Group

Access Courses - Maintenance Loan

Hi,

What forms of funding / financial help is available for mature students doing an access course?

Im just looking into my options & my working hours, childcare arrangements as i start my access course on the 10th September this year & i don't know where to look or if its similar to that of uni finance options.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

You can get the advanced learner loan that covers the course and gets written off when you complete the degree. In terms of assistance for living costs - zero. If you are a parent, there may be assistance, but I am not too sure.
Reply 2
Original post by R3negade
You can get the advanced learner loan that covers the course and gets written off when you complete the degree. In terms of assistance for living costs - zero. If you are a parent, there may be assistance, but I am not too sure.

Thanks, i've applied for the advanced learner loan.

Looks like im working full time too!
Original post by Remi09
Thanks, i've applied for the advanced learner loan.

Looks like im working full time too!

I think most people do when they are doing the access course. The light at the end of the tunnel is that is is not a long time and the course goes quick. As soon as you start your degree course you will be able to apply for full maintenance finance which will help a lot.
Damn, wish I knew of it when I did mine.
A lot of people just signed on job seekers allowance(me included). It was 16 hours a week exactly so the college signed a letter saying it was part time and that pretty supported me through the entire course.
Reply 6
There are four residential colleges in England offering residence, food and cash bursary package, one is Ruskin where I have just finished studying and one is Northern College in Barnsley. Childcare funding may be available, I don’t know. However I can not recommend Ruskin to anyone. Place be FUBAR
Original post by TheJohnM
A lot of people just signed on job seekers allowance(me included). It was 16 hours a week exactly so the college signed a letter saying it was part time and that pretty supported me through the entire course.

Seriously?! When was this?
Original post by AndrewMarkSP
Seriously?! When was this?

This year. I just finished it and I’m heading to university in September. I’m still on JSA now. I’m looking for a summer job but no luck so far but the JSA is enough to go out once a week and food so it’s all good.
This year. I just finished it and I’m heading to university in September. I’m still on JSA now. I’m looking for a summer job but no luck so far but the JSA is enough to go out once a week and food so it’s all good.

I was told that an access course is full time education... it even says online that you aren't eligible if studying a level 3 or more than 12 hours...

"Full-time students
If you’re studying for A level or an equivalent qualification, you can’t usually get JSA until you have stopped studying and your parents have stopped getting Child Benefit for you. Child Benefit payments stop after the last day of February, May, August or November (whichever comes first)."
(edited 5 years ago)
I was told that an access course is full time education... it even says online that you aren't eligible if studying a level 3 or more than 12 hours...

"Full-time students
If you’re studying for A level or an equivalent qualification, you can’t usually get JSA until you have stopped studying and your parents have stopped getting Child Benefit for you. Child Benefit payments stop after the last day of February, May, August or November (whichever comes first)."

It’s until 12 hours if you’re under 18 or 19. Part time is under 16 hours if older.

The majority of colleges will sign a form saying it’s part time or full time - whatever you want. It’s exactly 16 so I just told them it was part time and gave them a letter from my college saying it was part time.
(edited 5 years ago)
It’s until 12 hours if you’re under 18 or 19. Part time is under 16 hours if older.

The majority of colleges will sign a form saying it’s part time or full time - whatever you want. It’s exactly 16 so I just told them it was part time and gave them a letter from my college saying it was part time.

But it isn't 16 hours, those are just the contact hours. But with independent study it's definitely full time.

Fair enough if you got away with it. My college were very clear that we were full time students though.
But it isn't 16 hours, those are just the contact hours. But with independent study it's definitely full time.

Fair enough if you got away with it. My college were very clear that we were full time students though.

Yes but it’s subjective and my work coach agreed. It’s up to me if I do 0 hours of study at home a week or 10. It’s not like the job centre is watching what I do in my home. lol
Yes but it’s subjective and my work coach agreed. It’s up to me if I do 0 hours of study at home a week or 10. It’s not like the job centre is watching what I do in my home. lol

It shouldn't be subjective. You're basically cheating the benefits system.
It shouldn't be subjective. You're basically cheating the benefits system.

Wrong. I did almost all my independent study during class. I never told one lie ...my work coach agreed it was subjective.
Wrong. I did almost all my independent study during class. I never told one lie ...my work coach agreed it was subjective.

If you did all your study in class then why quit your job and scrounge off the tax payer? Why didn't you just work like the rest of us?
If you did all your study in class then why quit your job and scrounge off the tax payer? Why didn't you just work like the rest of us?

Because I’m not a moron? If someone gives you £1 million for free you’re not going to say “no I didn’t earn it so I don’t want it”. I’ll take advantage of EVERY situation that I need to if it means progressing in my life. Go cry about amazon, google and all the other companies making taxes increase by having billions in tax havens while I get my £57 a week. lol

I also don’t expect to pay back my entire student loan so the taxpayer will be paying for that too.
Because I’m not a moron? If someone gives you £1 million for free you’re not going to say “no I didn’t earn it so I don’t want it”. I’ll take advantage of EVERY situation that I need to if it means progressing in my life. Go cry about amazon, google and all the other companies making taxes increase by having billions in tax havens while I get my £57 a week. lol

I also don’t expect to pay back my entire student loan so the taxpayer will be paying for that too.

We're talking about you working 10-15 hours. If you're too lazy to do that then you get zero respect from me, however you dress it up.

I DO "cry about" big companies, politicians and officials for giving themselves big tax breaks and bonuses and expenses. It's called corruption. And while you may not be far up that ladder, you're definitely corrupt in my eyes.
We're talking about you working 10-15 hours. If you're too lazy to do that then you get zero respect from me, however you dress it up.

I DO "cry about" big companies, politicians and officials for giving themselves big tax breaks and bonuses and expenses. It's called corruption. And while you may not be far up that ladder, you're definitely corrupt in my eyes.

Obviously I went to interviews. The issue was there was always loads of people applying for the jobs so tough competition.
Obviously I went to interviews. The issue was there was always loads of people applying for the jobs so tough competition.

Dude you wrote in another thread that you *chose* to quit your job and claim job seekers, dont back track now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending