The Student Room Group

Equivalency Test Maths GCSE at Manchester Metropolitan, advice please!

Hi
Has anybody taken the Maths GCSE Equivalency test at MMU? Any help would be appreciate it. I have to take it soon and I am terrified.
thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by snowdon
Hi
Has anybody taken the Maths GCSE Equivalency test at MMU? Any help would be appreciate it. I have to take it soon and I am terrified.
thanks

HI Snowdon, I am taking that test at the end of August this year, how did it go? do you recall anything? do you have a past paper? I would really appreciate it
Original post by lydia_uk
HI Snowdon, I am taking that test at the end of August this year, how did it go? do you recall anything? do you have a past paper? I would really appreciate it

Hi i made a thread the other week about it. I did one at Sheffield Hallam but it’s same company equivalency testing if I’m any help
Reply 3
Hi
I don't have past papers sorry. They don't give any
I can't remember what was on the test because its been a year but, it was a lot easier than the gcse. I just bought some revision books on ebay . Practice with the aqa old foundation papers.
Good luck
It’s actually edexcel when I got my certificate it said equivalent to edexcel gcse foundation. They send you past papers and a list to revise. You just need to email them now for the information with what exam and which tier and they will send you a load of emails with the option of either 12 week course or purely the exam. They give you a list of what to revise. Corbett maths is great for watching videos on everything that’s how I learnt it all. Maybe it’s changed since above person mentioned but they send 4 past papers in an email so you can practice. It is a lot lot easier than gcse, although you still need to revise ! I did mine last week then got my certificate through 4/5 days later
Reply 5
Original post by snowdon
Hi
I don't have past papers sorry. They don't give any
I can't remember what was on the test because its been a year but, it was a lot easier than the gcse. I just bought some revision books on ebay . Practice with the aqa old foundation papers.
Good luck

Thank you very much Snowdon!! Ill try!! hahaha! I havent done maths in over 20 years!!
Reply 6
Original post by Ridinghigh95
It’s actually edexcel when I got my certificate it said equivalent to edexcel gcse foundation. They send you past papers and a list to revise. You just need to email them now for the information with what exam and which tier and they will send you a load of emails with the option of either 12 week course or purely the exam. They give you a list of what to revise. Corbett maths is great for watching videos on everything that’s how I learnt it all. Maybe it’s changed since above person mentioned but they send 4 past papers in an email so you can practice. It is a lot lot easier than gcse, although you still need to revise ! I did mine last week then got my certificate through 4/5 days later

Great Stuff Riddinghing95!! Thank you very much!! I really appreciate it!! I'll let you know guys!! I am sitting the exam on the 28th of August!!
Great Stuff Riddinghing95!! Thank you very much!! I really appreciate it!! I'll let you know guys!! I am sitting the exam on the 28th of August!!

Did you email them? Have you revised for it yet?
Reply 8
Did you email them? Have you revised for it yet?

I'll do it tonight! Im still at work!! oops!

sorry to make sure: I need to email EDEXCEL for the GCSE Foundation.

Sorry did you do the English one as well? I have this exam on a week
Saturday.

I have just started revising Maths.

Thanks!!
I'll do it tonight! Im still at work!! oops!

sorry to make sure: I need to email EDEXCEL for the GCSE Foundation.

Sorry did you do the English one as well? I have this exam on a week
Saturday.

I have just started revising Maths.

Thanks!!

Noooo, :smile: you need to email the company equivalency testing. Ignore the edexcel bit I was just telling someone else as they said aqa but my certificate said equivalent to edexcel that’s all. Don’t even worry about that bit! If you go on the website equivalency testing . Com. You should find on there the instructions . It will tel you to email them which subject you require I should think. The email will be [email protected]. Just look at their website first, then you will get a load of emails telling you which centre to contact ie which uni the exam will be at, dates and instructions and a list of what to revise. I didn’t do English sorry just maths. If you don’t understand anything just message me again. :smile:
Noooo, :smile: you need to email the company equivalency testing. Ignore the edexcel bit I was just telling someone else as they said aqa but my certificate said equivalent to edexcel that’s all. Don’t even worry about that bit! If you go on the website equivalency testing . Com. You should find on there the instructions . It will tel you to email them which subject you require I should think. The email will be [email protected]. Just look at their website first, then you will get a load of emails telling you which centre to contact ie which uni the exam will be at, dates and instructions and a list of what to revise. I didn’t do English sorry just maths. If you don’t understand anything just message me again. :smile:

Just double checked for you. All you need to do is go to www.equivalencytesting.com and scroll down it will say in a green box request your information packs and that takes u into an email to tel them which subject and foundation or higher .

Thank you very much!! what I would do without you!! I'll check the webpage now, thanks again, much appreciate it!!
Thank you very much!! what I would do without you!! I'll check the webpage now, thanks again, much appreciate it!!

Haha no problem!!! It will tell you on an email that you can’t register until a few days before the exam. Once you have that’s when they send some example papers out. Are you doing foundation? Must say tho, they were a bit crap at confirming my place on the exam so I called them as I never got the confirmation email. But that’s just my luck with things really lol. Hopefully u will sort it out and get the emails from them today if not Monday dunno if it’s automatic or they send them themselves x
Haha no problem!!! It will tell you on an email that you can’t register until a few days before the exam. Once you have that’s when they send some example papers out. Are you doing foundation? Must say tho, they were a bit crap at confirming my place on the exam so I called them as I never got the confirmation email. But that’s just my luck with things really lol. Hopefully u will sort it out and get the emails from them today if not Monday dunno if it’s automatic or they send them themselves x[/Q

Oh! No! I'm not the only one with obstacles all the time!!

I have been offered a place in MMU for a PGCE with the condition I pass the equivalency tests, English & Maths and the skills tests. I have booked the exams via the university web page. I had only confirmation of the English one, Sat 28th. I thought I would get the confirmation for the Maths closer to the date, 29th August. I'll keep an eye on that, thanks for the tip!

I have already received a Maths information pack from the equivalency testing ( yes! automated response), hopefully I'll get the English soon. Fingers crossed!!

I'll keep you posted it with any developments!!

Did you do a PGCE?
Reply 14
Hi
I am talking about the equivalency test with MMU not equivalency test company (equivalencytesting.com or others).
MMU don't send any materials but its quite easy to pass and a lot cheaper than those companies that they charge about 200 pounds and MMU 50. Have you booked them through the uni directly?
It's AQA they do and not EDEXCEL. Email them. they will confirm.
thanks
Original post by snowdon
Hi
I am talking about the equivalency test with MMU not equivalency test company (equivalencytesting.com or others).
MMU don't send any materials but its quite easy to pass and a lot cheaper than those companies that they charge about 200 pounds and MMU 50. Have you booked them through the uni directly?
It's AQA they do and not EDEXCEL. Email them. they will confirm.
thanks

Thank you Snowdon! yes I have booked through MMU directly. I just wanted the syllabus to prepare. Ans I haven't paid anything. They did'nt charge
[QUOTE="lydia_uk;78904048"]
Haha no problem!!! It will tell you on an email that you can’t register until a few days before the exam. Once you have that’s when they send some example papers out. Are you doing foundation? Must say tho, they were a bit crap at confirming my place on the exam so I called them as I never got the confirmation email. But that’s just my luck with things really lol. Hopefully u will sort it out and get the emails from them today if not Monday dunno if it’s automatic or they send them themselves x[/Q

Oh! No! I'm not the only one with obstacles all the time!!

I have been offered a place in MMU for a PGCE with the condition I pass the equivalency tests, English & Maths and the skills tests. I have booked the exams via the university web page. I had only confirmation of the English one, Sat 28th. I thought I would get the confirmation for the Maths closer to the date, 29th August. I'll keep an eye on that, thanks for the tip!

I have already received a Maths information pack from the equivalency testing ( yes! automated response), hopefully I'll get the English soon. Fingers crossed!!

I'll keep you posted it with any developments!!

Did you do a PGCE?

Ah that’s great glad your getting sorted. Just remmeber to email to book on when it says :smile: no I’ve not, have you done your degree? I only did it as a back up really. I’m starting my biology degree in September and I had to re do my GCSE which I already took , but I panicked and prob made a mess of paper 2 so I emailed the uni and they said if I fail the only other thing they accept is the equivalency test. So I did it just as a back up, because I’d of hated to wait for results to find out id failed ( especially as I left my job to do this I couldn’t of coped with not going to uni when and as planned!) and I’m 28 😳 so yeah I thought would rather pay £150 and do another test, lucky I got a grade 5 so now I don’t need to worry, but I’m still looking forward to my gcse results in August as that was the harder one :smile: the only thing I’m glad I looked at for the equivalency is stem and leaf diagrams as I completely forgot about them since school. Did they send you the list of what to revise? I hope you do well. I’m sure you will :smile: where do you do your pgce?
Thank you Snowdon! yes I have booked through MMU directly. I just wanted the syllabus to prepare. Ans I haven't paid anything. They did'nt charge

Sorry Lydia , I’m a bit confused now from Snowdons response best double check if your doing it through the uni or book it yourself . I did mine through the uni I’ll going to, but if they do their own then that might be a different thing. Just with u saying equivalency test I thought that’s what it was since mine was the same... just double check with your uni etc your doing the same thing :smile: it probs is .... as everyone on my exam was doing it for same reason as you but please double check with uni first as snowdon said :smile:
Hi - anyway you can help me? I've got my equivalency Maths booked for 29th at MMU too. The admissions dept have been pretty awful and have repeatedly failed to send me the link to the past papers and information. Spoke to them 3 times on Friday but they still didn't send me the email they said they would - and now it's bank holiday weekend...I can get papers on the AQA website but should I be focussing on the Foundation or Higher tier? Is there anyway you could forward on the link they sent to you? That would be amazing.Thanks so much for your help
Original post by elgeekay
Hi - anyway you can help me? I've got my equivalency Maths booked for 29th at MMU too. The admissions dept have been pretty awful and have repeatedly failed to send me the link to the past papers and information. Spoke to them 3 times on Friday but they still didn't send me the email they said they would - and now it's bank holiday weekend...I can get papers on the AQA website but should I be focussing on the Foundation or Higher tier? Is there anyway you could forward on the link they sent to you? That would be amazing.Thanks so much for your help

Hi,
rnoon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending