The Student Room Group

Clearing - can you apply for a course in 2019

This poll is closed

if you miss your offers, what's your main backup plan?

ask for a remark 0%
resit/retake a levels 25%
clearing 25%
foundation year/degree 0%
access to higher education course 0%
apprenticeship 0%
gap year50%
Total votes: 4
If you miss both your offers, can you apply through clearing for a course in 2019?
If I miss both my offers and decide to resit my A level exams, could I apply to the same course (my firm choice) through clearing in 2019? And would I be able to use my application and just add to my grades as 'pending' for 2019.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by kiki213
If you miss both your offers, can you apply through clearing for a course in 2019? (for example, if you wanted to resit your A level exams to get the entry requirements for 2019 entry)

I think you can if you defer your year of entry to the 2019/2020 academic year
Reply 2
Original post by s817
I think you can if you defer your year of entry to the 2019/2020 academic year

Deferred entry is if you've got the required grades and decided to go to uni next year. For example, the required grades for my firm choice is AAB. If I get AAB and decide not to start in September this year I could defer my entry to September 2019, if the uni will allow this.
I'm asking if I missed the grades for both my offers could I withdraw my application (or keep the same application) and reapply for the same course for my firm choice uni through clearing for 2019 entry.
Reply 3
Original post by kiki213
Deferred entry is if you've got the required grades and decided to go to uni next year. For example, the required grades for my firm choice is AAB. If I get AAB and decide not to start in September this year I could defer my entry to September 2019, if the uni will allow this.
I'm asking if I missed the grades for both my offers could I withdraw my application (or keep the same application) and reapply for the same course for my firm choice uni through clearing for 2019 entry.

Yes you can withdraw your application and reapply next year through clearing for the same course
Reply 4
Original post by s817
Yes you can withdraw your application and reapply next year through clearing for the same course

Can I keep my application the same and just add my new grades to 'pending'?
Reply 5
Original post by kiki213

If there is a pending option then yes. [Sorry I can't remember what the application was like, I applied 2 years ago.]
Original post by kiki213

I'm 99% sure you can't do this unfortunately. You'd have to apply again from scratch (although you could use the same PS if you wanted), pay the fee again etc. And you'd have to declare the grades you got this year as well on your application.
Then you'd basically be going through the same process again just next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Lemur14
I'm 99% sure you can't do this unfortunately. You'd have to apply again from scratch (although you could use the same PS if you wanted), pay the fee again etc. And you'd have to declare the grades you got this year as well on your application.
Then you'd basically be going through the same process again just next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, thanks! Also, is it true if you reapply for the same course to the same university that they raise the entry requirements by a grade? The entry requirements for my firm is AAB and if I decide to reapply in 2019, could they raise it to AAA/A*AB?
Original post by kiki213
Hi, thanks! Also, is it true if you reapply for the same course to the same university that they raise the entry requirements by a grade? The entry requirements for my firm is AAB and if I decide to reapply in 2019, could they raise it to AAA/A*AB?

They could but it's not common. Some unis are less keen on retakes so may make a higher offer or not make an offer at all.

If you do retake and reapply it is best to use a new PS.
Reply 9
Original post by SarcAndSpark
They could but it's not common. Some unis are less keen on retakes so may make a higher offer or not make an offer at all.

If you do retake and reapply it is best to use a new PS.

Yes, I think it's mainly the top 10 unis that don't favour retakes. My firm choice is a top 10 uni :frown: However, on their website and in their Admissions Q&A thread, they did say they accept resits/retake students and they review each applicant on a case-by-case basis.
Original post by kiki213

It certainly isn't a hard and fast rule they will. However as said, some may do this for resit students particularly if the course is quite competitive. There's a number of factors considered in making offers so it's difficult to tell. Make sure they do accept resit applicants though or that would be a quick way to rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Lemur14
It certainly isn't a hard and fast rule they will. However as said, some may do this for resit students particularly if the course is quite competitive. There's a number of factors considered in making offers so it's difficult to tell. Make sure they do accept resit applicants though or that would be a quick way to rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you say Law is a competitive course? Yes, I will double check just to make sure. Thank you.
I withdrawed all my 2 choices and my course is in clearing in nottigham uni. Can l go into clearing now by calling them or?
Reply 13
Original post by the.chantele
I withdrawed all my 2 choices and my course is in clearing in nottigham uni. Can l go into clearing now by calling them or?

Yes, try calling them. I'm not 100% sure how clearing works
Try reading these links:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/clearing/introduction-to-clearing
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/clearing/
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/results-confirmation-and-clearing/what-clearing
Original post by kiki213
Would you say Law is a competitive course? Yes, I will double check just to make sure. Thank you.

Generally is, but that still doesn't guarantee the requirements will be raised. If you give them a call they should be able to give you an idea of what usually happens. You're welcome :smile:

Have you got your results? The nature of clearing is that it is all unconditional offers so yes you can definitely call them and see if they'd be willing to offer you a place, but it would be unlikely for them to do so until you have your results (If I'm recalling correctly you don't get a clearing number until you get your results either which means you couldn't accept an offer from them until then)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Lemur14
Generally is, but that still doesn't guarantee the requirements will be raised. If you give them a call they should be able to give you an idea of what usually happens. You're welcome :smile:

Have you got your results? The nature of clearing is that it is all unconditional offers so yes you can definitely call them and see if they'd be willing to offer you a place, but it would be unlikely for them to do so until you have your results (If I'm recalling correctly you don't get a clearing number until you get your results either which means you couldn't accept an offer from them until then)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get my results on Thursday August 16th. I'll call them on results day, explain my situation and see what they say, thanks! :smile:
Original post by kiki213
I get my results on Thursday August 16th. I'll call them on results day, explain my situation and see what they say, thanks! :smile:

Nice one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes l have my results however l am one grade below...? I’ll ring them next week Monday
Yes l have my results however l am one grade below...? I’ll ring them next week Monday

Yep call them. They may tell you to wait for A level results day but it's worth calling anyway and I'd say there's a fair chance they'd accept you anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending