The Student Room Group

Help with where to go on my Medical Elective?

It’s fairly early days before I really need to make decisions about my elective (which is at the end of my fourth year) but I thought earlier is better than later as many people have warned that some places fill up 18 months in advance.

I think I’ll be travelling solo (female) and would prefer somewhere middle-highly developed and safe. Languages, unfortunately are not my strong suit and I would prefer if it could be someone mostly English-speaking so as to get the most out of it. However I am also concerned about the cost, though I have mostly decided on going abroad for 4 weeks and back in the UK for the rest.

So far I think Malta might be a good fit. Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand also interest me but I am little worried about the cost. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I think I’m ruling out China, as I’ve been to many hospitals there several times.

Edit: I’m particularly interested in paediatrics and anaesthetics
(edited 5 years ago)
Malta would be an excellent shout. Somewhere in the Caribbean too I reckon.

Scandinavian countries or the Netherlands may also be on option on the English front as lots of people speak it there - however obviously not necessarily everyone. But in said countries, cost of living if generally high.
Reply 2
Original post by purplefrog
Malta would be an excellent shout. Somewhere in the Caribbean too I reckon.

Scandinavian countries or the Netherlands may also be on option on the English front as lots of people speak it there - however obviously not necessarily everyone. But in said countries, cost of living if generally high.

Thank you, I suppose the Caribbean is a good option, though I’m worried the flights would be very very expensive. I visited the Netherlands this summer and was shocked by how literally everyone spoke English. I think I might take a look into some of the Scandinavian countries though, thank you.
What specialties are you interested in?
Reply 4
Original post by Smile88egc
What specialties are you interested in?

Paediatrics and Anaesthetics mainly but I’m open to other things
why do medical students go abroad. it just sounds so pretentious. go help the NHS somewhere in the UK :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
why do medical students go abroad. it just sounds so pretentious. go help the NHS somewhere in the UK :smile:

Are you a medical student? It’s a good opportunity to get an insight into a different hospital environment to your own and learn from different cultures. Don’t see how that’s pretentious when you’re paying for it yourself and writing up reports on how ethical it was etc
Original post by minimist
Are you a medical student? It’s a good opportunity to get an insight into a different hospital environment to your own and learn from different cultures. Don’t see how that’s pretentious when you’re paying for it yourself and writing up reports on how ethical it was etc

when the NHS is in crisis... it's really a good idea to allows thousands of (nearly) newly qualified doctors to go abroad.

You pay for an elective in the UK too. so whats your point.

Go help our brilliant nurses out, and do some cleaning or help with handing out meals.
I think Syria is a good place to go to.
Reply 9
when the NHS is in crisis... it's really a good idea to allows thousands of (nearly) newly qualified doctors to go abroad.

You pay for an elective in the UK too. so whats your point.

Go help our brilliant nurses out, and do some cleaning or help with handing out meals.

When the NHS is in crisis they need doctors.... I will not be a doctor. The elective period is a chance for me as a medical student to learn about being doctor. Please don’t talk about things you don’t understand. I am planning to do part of my elective in the UK, and many places find medical students get in the way rather than help.
Original post by minimist
When the NHS is in crisis they need doctors.... I will not be a doctor. The elective period is a chance for me as a medical student to learn about being doctor. Please don’t talk about things you don’t understand. I am planning to do part of my elective in the UK, and many places find medical students get in the way rather than help.

Isn't that what your weekly placements at med school are meant for?

''and many places find medical students get in the way rather than help''

-hard to believe when they are getting paid hundreds of pounds :smile:
Reply 11
Isn't that what your weekly placements at med school are meant for?

''and many places find medical students get in the way rather than help''

-hard to believe when they are getting paid hundreds of pounds :smile:

This comment really proves you don’t know what you’re talking about. I personally don’t have weekly placements. I have a year long placement in a British hospital - therefore I would like to experience what it’s like overseas - and their experiences are different and we should learn from them.

You pay the institution, but they decide how much they want you to participate - a busy A&E might actually make you pretty redundant as a non qualified student.
I really enjoyed my paeds elective in Tygerberg CapeTown.
Well organised for elective students, on site secure accommodation and a large teaching children's hospital. Doctors all spoke English and was invited to final year uni lectures on site, also in English.
Can reccomend south-west England for the UK part if you want sun, sea, sand and good teaching.
Reply 13
Original post by Smile88egc
I really enjoyed my paeds elective in Tygerberg CapeTown.
Well organised for elective students, on site secure accommodation and a large teaching children's hospital. Doctors all spoke English and was invited to final year uni lectures on site, also in English.
Can reccomend south-west England for the UK part if you want sun, sea, sand and good teaching.

Thanks, would you say you found Cape Town really safe?
Just came back from Vancouver elective and... I would not bother with Canada unless you are looking to work there. Too expensive and long winded application system. Long hours. You are an MSI (med student intern) and used as an intern so no half days to visit the beach, etc 😂
Great if u want experience but not for the money you paying
Reply 15
Original post by WanderingMedic
Just came back from Vancouver elective and... I would not bother with Canada unless you are looking to work there. Too expensive and long winded application system. Long hours. You are an MSI (med student intern) and used as an intern so no half days to visit the beach, etc 😂
Great if u want experience but not for the money you paying

Ah that’s really helpful, thank you!
Yes Cape town was safe enough because at Tygerberg there are usually around 30 elective students there at once and you all live in shared halls so get to know each other really well, so usually go everywhere in at least a pair or more.
Driving is quite dangerous there, but the safety aspect didn't stop me going.

Quick Reply

Latest