The Student Room Group

I sent all my rent to the cat's home and I don't know what to do

I was really annoyed at my landlord this month because he didn't arrange for the dripping shower to be fixed despite a number of texts and emails. When it came to rent day though, I sent the full £550 to my local cat's home and made the donation in his name. He's hassling me now and threatening me with eviction, but I just tried to make him see that it's not acceptable to ignore my texts. What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What should you do - pay your rent! You have a legal objection regardless of any dispute with your landlord. You are not entitled to withhold you rent. Either phone Citizens Advice or read this - https://citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/repairs-in-rented-housing/
Kidnap the cats for a ransom.
tell him you were not feline right

:rofl:
Original post by the bear
tell him you were not feline right

:rofl:

good one :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Pleasantri
I was really annoyed at my landlord this month because he didn't arrange for the dripping shower to be fixed despite a number of texts and emails. When it came to rent day though, I sent the full £550 to my local cat's home and made the donation in his name. He's hassling me now and threatening me with eviction, but I just tried to make him see that it's not acceptable to ignore my texts. What should I do?
You deserve trouble if you're purposefully withholding his rent money.
Reply 6
Original post by Tootles
I'm not purposely withholding it though as I don't have it anymore.
Reply 7
I'm not purposely withholding it though as I don't have it anymore.
You withheld the money and did something else with it, in the knowledge that doing so would leave you unable to pay your rent and thus in breach of contract. Now if you seek advice on how to make him sort the shower out, you don't have a leg to stand on. You have to be whiter than white in these situations.

Perhaps this website will help you if you have trouble with your landlord during your tenancy in the future :
https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/repairs

In terms of eviction, landlords must give their tenants a 2 month eviction notice, so at the moment perhaps you dont need to be too concerned regarding the eviction aspect
Start saying miaow and hope the cat's home can take you in when you get evicted.
Original post by Tootles

Hey I heard you are a sugar daddy ❤💕

Paypal me £1000 please babes xx
I expected more from you pleasantri
Original post by Anonymous
Hey I heard you are a sugar daddy ❤💕

Paypal me £1000 please babes xx
Not on your life, you haven't given me £1000 worth of service yet.
Original post by Duncan2012
Start saying miaow and hope the cat's home can take you in when you get evicted.
This isn't a laughing matter.
It is for cats.
Original post by Tootles
Not on your life, you haven't given me £1000 worth of service yet.

I don't need to give you any service. You owe me £1000.

Take a breath, paws, relax. Don’t get hiss-terical, it’s not a cat-astrophe. There are litter-ally many ways to resolve this. I’m sure you’ll find the purr-fect solution fur the problem. I’m sure you’d help miaow-t if I were in your position.

I've had problems like these but not paying your rent is a big mistake. You should've paid the rent as normal, and if your landlord is refusing necessary repairs, seek advice from a charity like Shelter. Your landlord legally has to attend to repairs and there are legal procedures you can go through if they refuse. However, with you withholding rent (doesn't matter that you've sent it to a cat home, you're still withholding the rent you're legally required to pay), it will backfire and you'll end up with more problems than just a dripping shower.

You obviously thought that it was, if you really did give the money to a cat shelter. Your actions have consequences, but you know who to blame ..
Original post by prophetkid
I've had problems like these but not paying your rent is a big mistake. You should've paid the rent as normal, and if your landlord is refusing necessary repairs, seek advice from a charity like Shelter. Your landlord legally has to attend to repairs and there are legal procedures you can go through if they refuse. However, with you withholding rent (doesn't matter that you've sent it to a cat home, you're still withholding the rent you're legally required to pay), it will backfire and you'll end up with more problems than just a dripping shower.

It's not even withholding, it's flat out spending it :tongue:

As you say,, withholding rent is dicey, but even then there is a responsible process, give the landlord a written ultimatum to make the repair and the chance to fix it and if you're going to then withhold rent you still have to HAVE it ready to pay, after all, he could replace the shower tomorrow and say 'Right, rent in full, right now.

Quick Reply

Latest