The Student Room Group

My girlfriends makeup.

Hey, I've been seeing my girlfriend for around a half a year now & I'm just wondering if any of you (advice from girls would be nice) could help me find a way to encourage her to wear less? I've seen her with makeup and she is without a doubt beautiful, she's quite insecure and I've noticed this, I constantly remind her what she means to me and if she wants to wear it, it's also not a problem. But I think she'd benefit from not wearing it, I think she'd gain quite a bit of confidence and I actually think she's adorable without it, she definitely has her imperfections, like everyone has, I'm not sure if it's horrible to admit she isn't incredibly good looking by definition (I'd like to disclose that I think she's really pretty, but she has been called ugly in the past and it has become a small insecurity for her), but her incredible personality, qualities, attributes and gorgeous smile make up for it. but to me she's literally perfect, she's everything I've ever wanted and I want her to be comfortable not wearing it around me, I want her to feel loved and cared for, regardless of her appearance? I'm sorry for rambling, I feel like it's best to give some form of context.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sushitrash(
Hey, I've been seeing my girlfriend for around a half a year now & I'm just wondering if any of you (advice from girls would be nice) could help me find a way to encourage her to wear less? I've seen her with makeup and she is without a doubt beautiful, she's quite insecure and I've noticed this, I constantly remind her what she means to me and if she wants to wear it, it's also not a problem. But I think she'd benefit from not wearing it, I think she'd gain quite a bit of confidence and I actually think she's adorable without it, she definitely has her imperfections, like everyone has, I'm not sure if it's horrible to admit she isn't incredibly good looking by definition (I'd like to disclose that I think she's really pretty, but she has been called ugly in the past and it has become a small insecurity for her), but her incredible personality, qualities, attributes and gorgeous smile make up for it. but to me she's literally perfect, she's everything I've ever wanted and I want her to be comfortable not wearing it around me, I want her to feel loved and cared for, regardless of her appearance? I'm sorry for rambling, I feel like it's best to give some form of context.

I’m assuming here that you’ve already told her everything that you’ve said here. Thing about it is that while you can talk to her about it, it’s ultimately her decision so there’s not that much you can do. Some people just feel more comfortable with makeup on. So I guess you should just wait a bit longer and see if she reaches the point where she’s willing to be around you sans makeup
just compliment o how beautiful she is without makeup and also she really does not need it (especially since some people start looking like clowns with too much makeup).

maybe tell anyone calling her ugly is prolly jealous :colone:
But is her makeup decent or looks like trash
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
But is her makeup decent or looks like trash

nah she's a makeup artist, it's decent, not got a problem with it she just looks very different without it, and i think shes scared to make the transition
Reply 5
Original post by TheTroll73
just compliment o how beautiful she is without makeup and also she really does not need it (especially since some people start looking like clowns with too much makeup).

maybe tell anyone calling her ugly is prolly jealous :colone:

i do this alot my friend, i'm well aware of the whole clown thing but girls don't get it for some reason, oh well haha
nah she's a makeup artist, it's decent, not got a problem with it she just looks very different without it, and i think shes scared to make the transition

If she looks that different without it you could try to gradually encourage her to scale back on how much she's applying when she's around you. You can't spring it on her all at once though as I imagine that that would be quite an overwhelming mental hurdle and wouldn't go great
Reply 7
Original post by SkyRunner61
I’m assuming here that you’ve already told her everything that you’ve said here. Thing about it is that while you can talk to her about it, it’s ultimately her decision so there’s not that much you can do. Some people just feel more comfortable with makeup on. So I guess you should just wait a bit longer and see if she reaches the point where she’s willing to be around you sans makeup

yeah you're probably right, i do often tell her this so it is her own business, its just incase it really is about an insecurity, where she feels like she needs it around me, my ex was the same hence why i'm worrying about it, i dont want her to feel like she cant be herself if that makes sense. ill give her some time, thanks for the genuine reply
I'd suggest not saying anything.

If a guy asked me to wear less/no make-up I'd honestly be annoyed. Even more so if he assumed it was because I'm insecure. Sometimes we girls just wear make-up because we really like make-up!
i was like this around my own boyfriend for quite a while, we have been together a year now and a lot of things i used to be insecure about im not anymore. I think it just takes time with these things the best thing you can do is every time she doubts herself for something tell her why you love it and over time these will stick and eventually she may start to feel more confident around you while not wearing any.
Original post by SkyRunner61
If she looks that different without it you could try to gradually encourage her to scale back on how much she's applying when she's around you. You can't spring it on her all at once though as I imagine that that would be quite an overwhelming mental hurdle and wouldn't go great

I suppose it's better to do it gradually, I don't wanna make a mistake, I don't want it to come across as insincere or she'd feel like it's a deal-breaker, it's not a huge problem, I just want her to know I'm nothing like her ex's who would of commented on her appearance and what not, I want her to be comfortable, she does occasionally not wear it around me but she reminds me every 5 minutes that "she looks a mess" and I always do my best to reassure her, in ways that aren't just "i think you're pretty", maybe i'm overthinking?
Original post by sinfonietta
I'd suggest not saying anything.

If a guy asked me to wear less/no make-up I'd honestly be annoyed. Even more so if he assumed it was because I'm insecure. Sometimes we girls just wear make-up because we really like make-up!

I know she's insecure, she talks and worries about her insecurities alot, it's not me trying to sound arrogant and controlling, it's that I don't want her to think she's not enough for me, but hey, maybe you're right and I appreciate that criticism.
Original post by amyclaire65
i was like this around my own boyfriend for quite a while, we have been together a year now and a lot of things i used to be insecure about im not anymore. I think it just takes time with these things the best thing you can do is every time she doubts herself for something tell her why you love it and over time these will stick and eventually she may start to feel more confident around you while not wearing any.

I see, you should be glad you feel more comfortable, that's a big step & I hope my girlfriend takes that step someday too, I really do love her and it's just sad to see her get upset over her appearance, even though I'll love her unconditionally.
Well if she’s a makeup artist then she has to go to work full cake face drag queen style everyday anyway. She’s got product to sell and no girl is going to go and get their makeup done or ask for advice from someone who only wears mascara and lip gloss. Maybe she just enjoys wearing makeup? Maybe it’s not a confidence issue and instead it’s what makes her happy. I know for a fact that when I’ve spent an hour plus putting on makeup I’m getting every single last second I can out of it before I take it off
Reply 14
Bro you say that sheet to her and she'll without a doubt not wear any more makeup

Hell that speech motivated me not to wear any makeup and I'm a guy
Hi! I'm not sure why you think her wearing makeup is a sign that she doesn't think you love and care for her no matter how she looks. To me this seems to be the thing that needs changing rather than her makeup. Women are constantly told what to do with their bodies so if she's a makeup artist and enjoys wearing makeup why do you want to stop that? I would say just have an open discussion with her, say that you have no problem with her wearing makeup but that if she doesn't want to wear it around you then you don't mind either way because you love her for who she is (if it's true then that includes loving her for her choices ). You say she is insecure and that's really sad but wearing less makeup isn't likely to change that. What can help with insecurity is support and focussing on the things that are great about her other than her appearance. She might be beautiful but anyone who focuses lots on their appearance also feels insecurity about it. Basically makeup is not the issue here, making it into one is likely to make her insecurity worse.
Original post by Milax1x
Well if she’s a makeup artist then she has to go to work full cake face drag queen style everyday anyway. She’s got product to sell and no girl is going to go and get their makeup done or ask for advice from someone who only wears mascara and lip gloss. Maybe she just enjoys wearing makeup? Maybe it’s not a confidence issue and instead it’s what makes her happy. I know for a fact that when I’ve spent an hour plus putting on makeup I’m getting every single last second I can out of it before I take it off

That's actually really true, I suppose I didn't think of it like that, it's more on the weekends when I feel like she isn't comfortable, I'm not really as bothered as I claim to be, but when we're cuddling or watching films or whatever it is, she still wears it then, even when we don't go out, or she's got days off work, I'll definitely take this into consideration though, thanks for the insight
Original post by as125
Bro you say that sheet to her and she'll without a doubt not wear any more makeup

Hell that speech motivated me not to wear any makeup and I'm a guy

thanks buddy ;^)
Original post by iguanagrace
Hi! I'm not sure why you think her wearing makeup is a sign that she doesn't think you love and care for her no matter how she looks. To me this seems to be the thing that needs changing rather than her makeup. Women are constantly told what to do with their bodies so if she's a makeup artist and enjoys wearing makeup why do you want to stop that? I would say just have an open discussion with her, say that you have no problem with her wearing makeup but that if she doesn't want to wear it around you then you don't mind either way because you love her for who she is (if it's true then that includes loving her for her choices ). You say she is insecure and that's really sad but wearing less makeup isn't likely to change that. What can help with insecurity is support and focussing on the things that are great about her other than her appearance. She might be beautiful but anyone who focuses lots on their appearance also feels insecurity about it. Basically makeup is not the issue here, making it into one is likely to make her insecurity worse.

Believe it or not, this is the entire reason I made the thread, I didn't want to make it worse or keep commenting on it, I think I'm just a little bit paranoid or something, she knows where I stand on it, I've already told her in the past because she brought it up so I gave my opinion, I said I'd love her unconditionally and I tried to stay away from having some form of controlling effect, thanks for your opinion. In a way, this is me trying to be supportive of her, I've just never really known how to get about doing it, so any advice is great really. I wanna be as genuine as I can.
That's actually really true, I suppose I didn't think of it like that, it's more on the weekends when I feel like she isn't comfortable, I'm not really as bothered as I claim to be, but when we're cuddling or watching films or whatever it is, she still wears it then, even when we don't go out, or she's got days off work, I'll definitely take this into consideration though, thanks for the insight

Somedays I do a full beat heavy glam makeup look and don’t leave my bedroom. I enjoy wearing the makeup, practising my art and then wearing my art. Being a makeup artist she might even be testing out new products and you don’t realise. I always without a fail wear a new product for a full day 7am-7pm to test it out. Maybe she’s just doing that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending