The Student Room Group

Is the H2O molecule an allergen?

I have an assignment to do on allergens, and I'm wondering if I should include the H2O molecule as one. What are your thoughts?

The main premise comes from this story (along with its follow-ups which I shall include in a bit)
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/JUST+ONE+CUP+OF+WATER+COULD+KILL+LITTLE+HEIDI%3B+Girl%27s+deadly+allergy...-a061152595

Though I am aware of Aquagenic Urticaria, it is neither an allergy nor does it affect drinking as it's just a skin condition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquagenic_urticaria I'm not entirely sure why the article says she has Aquagenic Urticaria since she doesn't just react on her skin but also inside her body. People with Aquagenic Urticaria can drink water with no issues however the article says this Heidi girl once drunk a sip of water by accident and went into anaphylaxis that required adrenaline to reverse, which rules out Aquagenic Urticaria which is a skin condition and she reacts to water internally.

She survives on 4 small glasses of milk or orange juice a day.

In a world first, she had an appendix surgery done where the doctors did not use any water products during the surgery. She then had an IV but had a massive reaction as the drip was ''water based''.

Here's some more articles on her -
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/water-allergy-girl-reaches-21st-58672

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/thieves-shatter-allergy-girls-life-1317690.html

Is the H2O molecule an allergen? Can it bind to the IgE receptors on mast cells?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Water is not a true allergen as the body is mostly composed of it, so no you shouldn't include it as one. You could mention aquagenic urticaria as something that is commonly thought to be an allergy, but you have to make it clear that water isn't an allergen
Original post by WillSawyer
I have an assignment to do on allergens, and I'm wondering if I should include the H2O molecule as one. What are your thoughts?

The main premise comes from this story (along with its follow-ups which I shall include in a bit)
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/JUST+ONE+CUP+OF+WATER+COULD+KILL+LITTLE+HEIDI%3B+Girl%27s+deadly+allergy...-a061152595

Though I am aware of Aquagenic Urticaria, it is neither an allergy nor does it affect drinking. People with Aquagenic Urticaria can drink water with no issues however the article says this Heidi girl once drunk a sip of water by accident and went into anaphylaxis that required adrenaline to reverse.

She survives on 4 small glasses of milk or orange juice a day.

In a world first, she had an appendix surgery done where the doctors did not use any water products during the surgery. She then had an IV but had a massive reaction as the drip was ''water based''.

Here's some more articles on her -
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/water-allergy-girl-reaches-21st-58672

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/thieves-shatter-allergy-girls-life-1317690.html

Is the H2O molecule an allergen? Can it bind to the IgE receptors on mast cells?

No,it’s not an allergy.If you read scientific articles on it and not sensationalist newspapers,they talk about it being probably a substance IN the water,not the water itself causing the allergy.

It does not make sense as the other poster said for water to be an allergy as most of the body is made of water,so the person should be suffering the reaction all the time if it was an allergy to water truly .Does that make sense ?
Reply 3
Original post by SkyRunner61
Water is not a true allergen as the body is mostly composed of it, so no you shouldn't include it as one. You could mention aquagenic urticaria as something that is commonly thought to be an allergy, but you have to make it clear that water isn't an allergen

Aquagenic Urticaria is just a skin condition though. According to medical literature, a person with Aquagenic Urticaria can drink water without any issues as it's only their skin that is affected.

However, this Heidi person in the link I gave in my original post goes into anaphylaxis if she takes a sip of water, or if she's IV'd with a drip that contains water. Although the article posits that it is Aquagenic Urticaria, this seems to have been a mistake since she reacts if water gets on her skin, but the fact that she's also having severe allergic reactions to ingesting water rules it out being Aquagenic Urticaria as she reacts to internal water.
Reply 4
Original post by bobby147
No,it’s not an allergy.If you read scientific articles on it and not sensationalist newspapers,they talk about it being probably a substance IN the water,not the water itself causing the allergy.

It does not make sense as the other poster said for water to be an allergy as most of the body is made of water,so the person should be suffering the reaction all the time if it was an allergy to water truly .Does that make sense ?

What about when her parents said she had a massive systematic reaction after being given an IV drip that was water based?
Reply 5
also be sure to consider that not all hypersensitivity reactions are IgE mediated
Reply 6
Original post by SteveForfar
also be sure to consider that not all hypersensitivity reactions are IgE mediated

Can you elaborate? How could H2O cause a reaction?
Reply 7
I’m not too sure about H2O specifically but I saw that you specifically mentioned IgE so I was unsure if you were aware of the other types of hypersensitivity. Type 1 hypersensitivity is IgE mediated, 2 and 3 are IgM/IgG mediated. Type 4 is cellular; not antibody mediated.

Just a good bit of info to consider for an assignment on allergens/allergy :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by SteveForfar
I’m not too sure about H2O specifically but I saw that you specifically mentioned IgE so I was unsure if you were aware of the other types of hypersensitivity. Type 1 hypersensitivity is IgE mediated, 2 and 3 are IgM/IgG mediated. Type 4 is cellular; not antibody mediated.

Just a good bit of info to consider for an assignment on allergens/allergy :smile:

Ah OK. Thanks for the heads up!
H2O is water bro

though it can contain allergen it is not an allergen itself so should not be included, especially since we'd die without water lol
What about when her parents said she had a massive systematic reaction after being given an IV drip that was water based?

Water based, so something was dissolved in the water,its not like she was getting iv of pure water.

Water is very very small,and wouldn't fit into IgE or any other Ig.Like every other person has been saying in case you have not noticed,water is essential to life.

If she was truly allergic to water she would be having allergic reactions ALL THE TIME since our bodies our mostly made of WATER.

Is this clear ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bobby147
Water based, so something was dissolved in the water,its not like she was getting iv of pure water.

Water is very very small,and wouldn't fit into IgE or any other Ig.Like every other person has been saying in case you have not noticed,water is essential to life.

If she was truly allergic to water she would be having allergic reactions ALL THE TIME since our bodies our mostly made of WATER.

Is this clear ?

Not to mention water vapour.
Reply 12
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
Not to mention water vapour.

Water vapour isn't liquid water though
Water vapour isn't liquid water though

I don't think the phase of the compound matters when it comes to allergies. If it weren't a solute and were indeed the H20 then someone allergic to water would be in a near-constant state of anaphylaxis imo.
Reply 14
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
I don't think the phase of the compound matters when it comes to allergies. If it weren't a solute and were indeed the H20 then someone allergic to water would be in a near-constant state of anaphylaxis imo.

What's your verdict/view on the case I mention in my original post?
Reply 15
Original post by TheTroll73
H2O is water bro

though it can contain allergen it is not an allergen itself so should not be included, especially since we'd die without water lol

Thoughts on the case in my OP?
Surely there are plenty of other allergens you can talk about?
Reply 17
Original post by black tea
Surely there are plenty of other allergens you can talk about?

Yeah but I saw that article and now I genuinely wonder if H2O is an allergen.
Yeah but I saw that article and now I genuinely wonder if H2O is an allergen.

Most allergens are proteins, so I would assume not
anything is toxic if you have enough of it, not sure that water is allergy causing though, I would think that would be something that produces a histamine response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending