The Student Room Group

Bus Ticket! Annoyed!

So just some little background info before I get started, I’m a 17 year old student who’s never used a bus and never will be after this. Right so for the first time in my life I decided to purchase my bus ticket online. BIG MISTAKE. I accidentally bought a ticket for the wrong area and that’s not the problem. The problem is that I got on the bus and the bus driver looked at my ticket and confirmed it was okay and told me to go on ahead. So he gave his approval! It was Just my luck that half way through the journey the bus inspector got in and told me and my friend to jump out. He then proceeds to tell us that we’re gonna be fined even though we were highly unaware, despite knowing we’re students. He then took my details and gave me a £40 and in the moment I wasn’t able to tell him that the bus driver said it was okay. But now that I’m thinking about it I could appeal to get the fine removed. If you have any tips or tricks that will help my appeal become stronger could you please let me know! All help is appreciated and a special thanks to the stupid driver for landing me this fine! :frown:(((((
Original post by Zuhra110
So just some little background info before I get started, I’m a 17 year old student who’s never used a bus and never will be after this. Right so for the first time in my life I decided to purchase my bus ticket online. BIG MISTAKE. I accidentally bought a ticket for the wrong area and that’s not the problem. The problem is that I got on the bus and the bus driver looked at my ticket and confirmed it was okay and told me to go on ahead. So he gave his approval! It was Just my luck that half way through the journey the bus inspector got in and told me and my friend to jump out. He then proceeds to tell us that we’re gonna be fined even though we were highly unaware, despite knowing we’re students. He then took my details and gave me a £40 and in the moment I wasn’t able to tell him that the bus driver said it was okay. But now that I’m thinking about it I could appeal to get the fine removed. If you have any tips or tricks that will help my appeal become stronger could you please let me know! All help is appreciated and a special thanks to the stupid driver for landing me this fine! :frown:(((((

Be honest and just say the bus driver told you it was fine.

However, I doubt your appeal will be successful because you have no evidence and despite it being true, it's probably a common excuse that fare evaders employ.

Really is just bad luck - I've not seen an Inspector in almost a decade.
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
Be honest and just say the bus driver told you it was fine.

However, I doubt your appeal will be successful because you have no evidence and despite it being true, it's probably a common excuse that fare evaders employ.

Really is just bad luck - I've not seen an Inspector in almost a decade.

I guess! Do you reckon they will take witnesses for evidence?

It *might* help your case if you can mention an independent witness...

If I were you I'd just pay the fine especially if they give a discount for paying it within X days
At the end of the day it was your fault that you got the wrong tickets so just pay up and move on.

No really. Maybe the bus driver but no one else.
You'd never have encountered this 'stupid bus driver' if you'd bought the right ticket and got on the right bus. :redface:

You're stuck with the fine, you didn't explain yourself at the time and accepted the fine, how would they even go about tracing who else was on the bus anyway?
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
You'd never have encountered this 'stupid bus driver' if you'd bought the right ticket and got on the right bus. :redface:

You're stuck with the fine, you didn't explain yourself at the time and accepted the fine, how would they even go about tracing who else was on the bus anyway?

Did I have any other choice than accept it or defy the law? I bought the ticket in a hurry as the bus driver wouldn’t stop for 10 seconds and the next bus was about 20 mins late.
Reply 8
you should have gone to specsavers before booking your ticket
Pay it and then appeal incase the fine goes up
Reply 10
Original post by Zara1997
you should have gone to specsavers before booking your ticket

Very funny! Should have gone to shaadi.com and you would have been married already
If it was first bus don't they all have cameras?
Did I have any other choice than accept it or defy the law? I bought the ticket in a hurry as the bus driver wouldn’t stop for 10 seconds and the next bus was about 20 mins late.

Revenue Protection Officers/Inspectors are NOT police, they can't arrest you or force you to give details. About all they can do is stop the bus to create a scene and shame you into getting off or claim to radio the police......who are prob not going to hit the siren and pelt across town over a £2 bus ticket.

If I had bought a ticket that turned out to be incorrect, I'd have made it clear that i've tried to buy one in good faith, if the driver has sold me the wrong one, then they are right there to ask, you've no recourse afterwards. If I wasn't at the least given an opportunity to purchase the correct ticket at normal price i;d refuse to co operate further. This bit is purely anecdotal, but I don;t know anyone who has recived a fine for making a mistake, but I know a fair few who have got one from just obediently accepting the fine and handing over their details, you're just making it easy for them.

Admittedly if this was literally your first time ever on a bus I can see the confusion. trying to buy yr first ever ticket online is jumping in at the deep end a bit.

Original post by Anonymous
If it was first bus don't they all have cameras?

Very likely, what would that prove though? the OP was on the bus? They had a wee bit of paper?
(edited 5 years ago)
Next time double and triple check you have the right bus and ticket.

Never trust others with your journey.
Make sure you get the right ticket next time
Original post by StriderHort
Revenue Protection Officers/Inspectors are NOT police, they can't arrest you or force you to give details....

I realised i wasn't totally sure about this bit, so I went and had a look at the regs, Apparently they CAN detain you if you don't have or refuse to buy a ticket and then fail to provide details. But some of them like London TfL - have their own set of rules which removes that protection, so travel with them at yr own risk I suppose.

I'm up in Glasgow where it's a mostly Firstbus service and we do see revenue protection officers a fair bit, but i've never in my life seen them grab and try and physically detain someone over a ticket, they'd have **** kicked out them and everyone seems to universally know this. If they want you off they just stop the bus and shame you off, if you refuse to get off THEN they can radio police, who might actually turn up. I've got wrong tickets plenty of times and never had any talk of a fine, I don't think i was even asked to buy another one, just given advice on what train/ticket I SHOULD have got, I'm always polite and reasonable to them, my friends who have been asked for details or fined tended to be on the cheeky side.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending