The Student Room Group

German Speaking Advice please?

I’ve just finished Year 10 and found out that I have a German speaking mock when I come back. I really love German and I want to become fluent as quick as possible.

The problem with my speaking is of course I don’t sound like a native and I have troubles with pronouncing the German “r” (not sure if I should gurgle water everyday to improve?).

My main problem is that when I try to speak German I think in English which messes me up. Also when I use “weil” or another phrase that sends the verb to the end, my brain can’t think that quick to do it without me freezing like an idiot thinking about the grammar rule.

Does anyone have any advice for doing really well in German Speaking and becoming more fluent in 2 months please?

Thank you in advance!
Visit Germany (or Austria or Switzerland). The only way to become fluent in a language is to live with the natives.
Original post by hello_shawn
Visit Germany (or Austria or Switzerland). The only way to become fluent in a language is to live with the natives.

Thank you for your response! I can’t unfortunately but instead should I just watch German tv shows/movies?
Original post by Lucy Moo
Same advice as above. For example, my mother who lives in Europe can understand written English and say some stuff, but she’s no clue how to pronounce most of it, because she’s not around people who speak it. I only studied German for a bit in school, but my pronunciation was the best in class, probably because I used to watch loads of german tv shows with subtitles in my first language when I was younger, so I knew how things sounded, if you know what I mean. Could also be beneficial in your case I think :biggrin:

Thank you also for your response! I would love to visit Germany and get a feel of the language there but unfortunately I can’t travel to Germany or Switzerland. Should I do what you did and watch lots of German movies/tv shows? Also should I use English or German subtitles?
Original post by AngelStarfire
Thank you for your response! I can’t unfortunately but instead should I just watch German tv shows/movies?

You can pass (even with an A*) any foreign language gcse without leaving the UK, since you're only trained up to the standard of a nine-year-old native. However to take it further into a-level and beyond, most schools will recommend a visit to the country with native speakers. For now you can just listen to as much German as you like, hoping that you become fluent one day :smile: for a good German youtuber whose videos are about the language, I recommend donttrusttherabbit
Original post by hello_shawn
You can pass (even with an A*) any foreign language gcse without leaving the UK, since you're only trained up to the standard of a nine-year-old native. However to take it further into a-level and beyond, most schools will recommend a visit to the country with native speakers. For now you can just listen to as much German as you like, hoping that you become fluent one day :smile: for a good German youtuber whose videos are about the language, I recommend donttrusttherabbit

Thank you for the advice! I watch her videos sometimes (^~^ ). I hope one day I can go to Germany! I’m thinking of doing it for A Levels

Dark is a good TV show if you have Netflix. Its a german-original series and you can have english subtitles. Apps like DuoLingo are good. However you rant going to become fluent in 2 months. The only way to really do that is to live in Germany etc - as then you were also learn sayings, colloquialisms etc

I know it might sound silly, but reading some German story books aimed at young children helps a lot. As they have basic grammar and basic and simple plots. Just like the boos we read as a kid to learn English.

Aslo I know what you mean about the word order but you will get it in the end (I did German to A-Levelm, and have German family)
I don't do German (did French) but if you want easier advice than to visit the country (as this may not be possible) then I will give you some. There are websites on the internet where you can find the pronunciation of foreign words. If you listen to the pronunciation and then try to repeat it again and again then this will help. Another thing to do is to watch German films or German Youtubers (perhaps with English subtitles) as this will help you pick up the cadence and accent of a native German speaker. As for not being able to think on your feet, most of the gcse speaking exam is pre prepared (either in the 15 mins before or at home) so you won't have to do much thinking on your feet. But yeah I know you want to become fluent anyway so the way to improve the thinking on your feet is to sort of think of German a lot like if you say something in English try and think to yourself what it would be in German. If you can't work out what it would be in German then look it up. This is how I improved my French. If you can't visit the country then the best way to become fluent is to immerse yourself in the language as much as possible by watching German films etc. Like people on here said, you can't become fluent without at least visiting the country but what I have described is how you can get as close as possible with a low budget haha. hope this helps x
Original post by Jack22031994
Dark is a good TV show if you have Netflix. Its a german-original series and you can have english subtitles. Apps like DuoLingo are good. However you rant going to become fluent in 2 months. The only way to really do that is to live in Germany etc - as then you were also learn sayings, colloquialisms etc

I know it might sound silly, but reading some German story books aimed at young children helps a lot. As they have basic grammar and basic and simple plots. Just like the boos we read as a kid to learn English.

Aslo I know what you mean about the word order but you will get it in the end (I did German to A-Levelm, and have German family)

Thank you! I’ll try to read some german children books but do you know where I can get them? Also you’re really lucky to have a german family to practice with with. Thank you yet again! (>~< )
Thank you! I’ll try to read some german children books but do you know where I can get them? Also you’re really lucky to have a german family to practice with with. Thank you yet again! (>~< )

Amazon I guess but if not ‘Cafe in Berlin’ is good. Short stories to help you learn German.

I guess (not that I do :rofl:) I do have a german penpal though :h:

You can always PM me if you want xD
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
I don't do German (did French) but if you want easier advice than to visit the country (as this may not be possible) then I will give you some. There are websites on the internet where you can find the pronunciation of foreign words. If you listen to the pronunciation and then try to repeat it again and again then this will help. Another thing to do is to watch German films or German Youtubers (perhaps with English subtitles) as this will help you pick up the cadence and accent of a native German speaker. As for not being able to think on your feet, most of the gcse speaking exam is pre prepared (either in the 15 mins before or at home) so you won't have to do much thinking on your feet. But yeah I know you want to become fluent anyway so the way to improve the thinking on your feet is to sort of think of German a lot like if you say something in English try and think to yourself what it would be in German. If you can't work out what it would be in German then look it up. This is how I improved my French. If you can't visit the country then the best way to become fluent is to immerse yourself in the language as much as possible by watching German films etc. Like people on here said, you can't become fluent without at least visiting the country but what I have described is how you can get as close as possible with a low budget haha. hope this helps x

Thank you for replying! I will definitely try these! I started to watch some german gamers on YouTube and have learnt lots of new words.
Thank you for replying! I will definitely try these! I started to watch some german gamers on YouTube and have learnt lots of new words.

That's great! good luck!
hi!

I've seen a couple of people recommend series and dark is very good - aside from this, changing the audio of a series that you already watch into german is a good way to be more acquainted with the language, whilst still watching something you like
Another good resource are the duolingo german podcasts that are especially for non-native speakers who are trying to improve their language ability
Other than that, German songs can also be good; you'd be surprised by the amount that you understand, and even just using it as background music when you're chilling out can help to attune your ears to the language

hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending