The Student Room Group

Exam Results

Why do our brains convince us that we’ve done badly the longer we wait for results? I thought my exams went alright but the more time it’s been, the more I’m worried I’ve done rubbish. Why does this happen?

Scroll to see replies

Idk, I thought I did badly the moment I left the exam hall :lol:
Original post by MillieDunne
Why do our brains convince us that we’ve done badly the longer we wait for results? I thought my exams went alright but the more time it’s been, the more I’m worried I’ve done rubbish. Why does this happen?

The longer you fixate on things, the worse that thing is--because our imaginations run wild and we're our own worst enemies.

Try and find something that relaxes you and takes your mind off things! I find often our hobbies get ignored when it comes to studying--so try reviving some of those or finding a new one!

What's done is done at this point and exams are like interviews--you always do better than you think!

If I can offer any kind of reassurance, it is that I was in the exact same situation as yourself and many others when I was waiting for my A level results.
I had absolutely convinced myself that I had done poorly in my exams, and yet when results day rolled around I had performed better than initially anticipated, allowing me to get into my first choice.

I feel that worrying about our own performances given the gift of hindsight is just a part of human nature. If you studied well and did the best you could given your circumstances, then there's really no reason to stress yourself out over it, or tar your summer with worry in anyway.

I hope that is of some reassurance to you or anyone else in the same situation, but honestly just try and forget about it. I'm sure you've done brilliantly.
Have a good summer.
Because your memory of the exam becomes more faded as time goes on. When you've just left the exam you know exactly how you found it but as time goes on you can't remember as much about the exam so it becomes more uncertain how well you did and because of natural paranoia/over-thinking you start to think you've done bad. People who are more optimistic sometimes start to think they did better so it depends on the person but yeah your perspective changes because you can't remember it as clearly and maybe you're over-thinking. Best thing to do is to try not to think too much about it as thinking about it won't change your result.
Original post by Michelle Bieger
The longer you fixate on things, the worse that thing is--because our imaginations run wild and we're our own worst enemies.

Try and find something that relaxes you and takes your mind off things! I find often our hobbies get ignored when it comes to studying--so try reviving some of those or finding a new one!

What's done is done at this point and exams are like interviews--you always do better than you think!

Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by Thomas Br
If I can offer any kind of reassurance, it is that I was in the exact same situation as yourself and many others when I was waiting for my A level results.
I had absolutely convinced myself that I had done poorly in my exams, and yet when results day rolled around I had performed better than initially anticipated, allowing me to get into my first choice.

I feel that worrying about our own performances given the gift of hindsight is just a part of human nature. If you studied well and did the best you could given your circumstances, then there's really no reason to stress yourself out over it, or tar your summer with worry in anyway.

I hope that is of some reassurance to you or anyone else in the same situation, but honestly just try and forget about it. I'm sure you've done brilliantly.
Have a good summer.

This is super kind, thank you a lot
Original post by SilverWater
Idk, I thought I did badly the moment I left the exam hall :lol:

If that was this year - I'M SURE YOU HAVEN'T, and if it wasn't this year, I really hope your perspective has changed !
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
Because your memory of the exam becomes more faded as time goes on. When you've just left the exam you know exactly how you found it but as time goes on you can't remember as much about the exam so it becomes more uncertain how well you did and because of natural paranoia/over-thinking you start to think you've done bad. People who are more optimistic sometimes start to think they did better so it depends on the person but yeah your perspective changes because you can't remember it as clearly and maybe you're over-thinking. Best thing to do is to try not to think too much about it as thinking about it won't change your result.

It's so nerve-wracking. Thanks for the advice! :smile:
If that was this year - I'M SURE YOU HAVEN'T, and if it wasn't this year, I really hope your perspective has changed !

Yeah I'm talking about this year. It was pretty much paper 1 of Chemistry which I already know I ****ed up :frown:
It's so nerve-wracking. Thanks for the advice! :smile:

it's always gonna be nerve wracking but there's no point worrying about it before results day. Of course make sure you have a back up plan but after that just don't think about it.
I thought my exams went alright (they weren't easy but not too difficult). Now however, I'm convinced I've failed!
Original post by Muserock
I thought my exams went alright (they weren't easy but not too difficult). Now however, I'm convinced I've failed!

Literally same
Yeah I'm talking about this year. It was pretty much paper 1 of Chemistry which I already know I ****ed up :frown:

I'm sure you did fine! My friend did it and she hates Chemistry but I'm sure it's gone a lot better than you thought (:
I'm sure you did fine! My friend did it and she hates Chemistry but I'm sure it's gone a lot better than you thought (:

I can only hope :smile:

How are you feeling about your exams etc?
I can only hope :smile:

How are you feeling about your exams etc?

In the moment I think they went decently, but obviously as time has gone on I've felt more nervous. I have no idea really
I thought I did well but now I am convinced that I failed. I usually never fail but now I am failing due to illness. I'm just glad its AS results and not A2. Luckily, AS results don't count
Reply 17
Same tbh I feel like I've done bad in all of mine. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. No point worrying over something we can't change :smile:
Original post by kiki213
Same tbh I feel like I've done bad in all of mine. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. No point worrying over something we can't change :smile:

I came out and felt like they were all alright apart from a few blips, but time is making me anxious. But you're right, and it isn't even a long wait now......
Original post by fail12
I thought I did well but now I am convinced that I failed. I usually never fail but now I am failing due to illness. I'm just glad its AS results and not A2. Luckily, AS results don't count

All of mine are 2 year courses! I'm scared lol

Quick Reply

Latest