The Student Room Group

A-Level Option Physics or Chemistry???

Hi there,

I was thinking of what i wanted to do for A-Levels and I came to the conclusion of Maths, F maths and either Physics or Chemistry.
I want to be an Air Traffic Controller when im older and was advised to do Physics however me and physics are enemies but apparently i need it to have a better understanding in the aviation work field however i love Chemistry but have heard that its to hard at A-Levels but that hasn't put me off doing it. I prefer it to Physics but i don't know what to do!!! Any suggestions?!?
I pesonally do Chemistry A Level and it's a breeze to revise for as there's so many great resources to use (makes sense since it's the 2nd most chosen A Level subject). Some of the content is hard, some of it just needs you to remember things and not understand why. But, I must say the amount of content seems much more reasonable than Biology or Psychology for example. Plus, with Maths and CHemistry you could still become a Chemical Engineer (I believe they make a lot of money) if you change your mind. however, I wouldn't advise doing Chemistry if they say you actually need Physics A Level to become an air traffic controller. Do you think it would be a better idea to ditch Further Maths and then do both sciences?
Original post by randomsheep11
I pesonally do Chemistry A Level and it's a breeze to revise for as there's so many great resources to use (makes sense since it's the 2nd most chosen A Level subject). Some of the content is hard, some of it just needs you to remember things and not understand why. But, I must say the amount of content seems much more reasonable than Biology or Psychology for example. Plus, with Maths and CHemistry you could still become a Chemical Engineer (I believe they make a lot of money) if you change your mind. however, I wouldn't advise doing Chemistry if they say you actually need Physics A Level to become an air traffic controller. Do you think it would be a better idea to ditch Further Maths and then do both sciences?

no because i want to do maths in uni and it requires further maths and i love maths so further maths really isn't a problem and plus with chemistry you could still do many things... so thanks for your help i really appreciate it
I do Maths, FMaths and both Physics and Chemistry. If you're good at Maths and can stomach some theory Physics A Level should be alright, Chemistry A Level has much more interesting work and is probably one of the more rewarding A Levels, but is somewhat tougher. I'd say since you only really need 3, and you have M, FM, I'd say doing Physics might be to your benefit perhaps for Mech, however it doesn't really matter what your third is as long as you have maths and fm, as long as it's something maths based.
Original post by thotproduct
I do Maths, FMaths and both Physics and Chemistry. If you're good at Maths and can stomach some theory Physics A Level should be alright, Chemistry A Level has much more interesting work and is probably one of the more rewarding A Levels, but is somewhat tougher. I'd say since you only really need 3, and you have M, FM, I'd say doing Physics might be to your benefit perhaps for Mech, however it doesn't really matter what your third is as long as you have maths and fm, as long as it's something maths based.

Thank you too much this has really helped :smile:
Hi,

At A-Level I did Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

I would consider starting your A-levels doing Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry and dropping one of the subjects later on.
If you drop physics it closes the door on all engineering degrees, apart from chemical engineering, but that shouldn't be a problem if you want to do Maths.
However, it is probably more important for you to study subjects that you enjoy.
Original post by Bailey01234
Hi,

At A-Level I did Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

I would consider starting your A-levels doing Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry and dropping one of the subjects later on.
If you drop physics it closes the door on all engineering degrees, apart from chemical engineering, but that shouldn't be a problem if you want to do Maths.
However, it is probably more important for you to study subjects that you enjoy.

thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 7
I was at NATS for a week in July doing work experience. To be an air traffic controller there you need to take part in the ATC training which is on-site. The requirements for that are 5 GCSEs at grade C or above. About 2% of applicants at NATS finish the training and become ATCo's.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by cecerose7890
no because i want to do maths in uni and it requires further maths and i love maths so further maths really isn't a problem and plus with chemistry you could still do many things... so thanks for your help i really appreciate it

Further maths is not a requirement for maths at uni with the exception of the top universities. My brother graduated in maths from Leeds recently, he did not take further maths at A-level.
Reply 9
Well Physics is way more heavy on application than it used to and Chemistry is more on the revision side. If you love both organic and physical chemistry do chemistry. Otherwise physics.
Original post by cecerose7890
Hi there,

I was thinking of what i wanted to do for A-Levels and I came to the conclusion of Maths, F maths and either Physics or Chemistry.
I want to be an Air Traffic Controller when im older and was advised to do Physics however me and physics are enemies but apparently i need it to have a better understanding in the aviation work field however i love Chemistry but have heard that its to hard at A-Levels but that hasn't put me off doing it. I prefer it to Physics but i don't know what to do!!! Any suggestions?!?
Original post by Sinnoh
Further maths is not a requirement for maths at uni with the exception of the top universities. My brother graduated in maths from Leeds recently, he did not take further maths at A-level.

Ohh for uni i wanted to go to UCL or Imperial College thats probably why.

Quick Reply

Latest