The Student Room Group

Advie for A-level options

I am planning on starting my A-levels as of September 2018 and was looking for some advice to help with the correct options.

As a heads up I am leaning towards doing either computer science, economics, or architecture at university (currently more economics)

There are five particular A-levels in which I am having to choose four in order to study them at college. Theses are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computer Science, Economics.

The four A-levels I have chosen and have been accpted with are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computer Science.

Maths and Further Maths: I enjoy maths a lot and have always been good at it. At GCSE I am hoping to achieve a grade 8 (A*)

Physics: This isnt my favouite subject however I dont hate it. This subject has been chosen particularly because it fits well as a facilitating subject and is required with architecture and potentially computer science . I am expecting a grade 6 (B)

Computer Science: At school I have enjoyed computer science and later on in Y11 I have become confident for the exam. The exam went well and I hope to achieve a grade 6/7 (B/A)

Economics: I havent studied economics at all and I havent included it in my options as most universities dont require it and lean more towards choosing maths and further maths. From what I have seen it looks to be an interesting subject with good future opportunites

I was wondering what A-levels you would choose if you was in my position and if it really matters that I dont take economics even if I wish to study it at university. Also what do think of these subjects, are they enjoyable, do you have good experiences with them?
Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JakeB57
I am planning on starting my A-levels as of September 2018 and was looking for some advice to help with the correct options.

As a heads up I am leaning towards doing either computer science, economics, or architecture at university (currently more economics)

There are five particular A-levels in which I am having to choose four in order to study them at college. Theses are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computer Science, Economics.

The four A-levels I have chosen and have been accpted with are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computer Science.

Maths and Further Maths: I enjoy maths a lot and have always been good at it. At GCSE I am hoping to achieve a grade 8 (A*)

Physics: This isnt my favouite subject however I dont hate it. This subject has been chosen particularly because it fits well as a facilitating subject and is required with architecture and potentially computer science . I am expecting a grade 6 (B)

Computer Science: At school I have enjoyed computer science and later on in Y11 I have become confident for the exam. The exam went well and I hope to achieve a grade 6/7 (B/A)

Economics: I havent studied economics at all and I havent included it in my options as most universities dont require it and lean more towards choosing maths and further maths. From what I have seen it looks to be an interesting subject with good future opportunites

I was wondering what A-levels you would choose if you was in my position and if it really matters that I dont take economics even if I wish to study it at university. Also what do think of these subjects, are they enjoyable, do you have good experiences with them?
Thanks in advance :smile:

It really helps if you can narrow down which degree you wish to study.

Fortunately you have the key one, which is maths.

That alone would meet the requirements for many of those three courses at various unis.

You might not have to do Physics at all. What you need to do is check the degree where you need it.

You then need to consider if you dont need it, then pick a different A level that you can perform better in.

The subjects are good for what you want to do, but there might be even more options as the subject they all want is Maths. Check the entrance requirements. Dont hang onto Physics if you dont have to, especially if you are unsure you can get a good grade.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
It really helps if you can narrow down which degree you wish to study.

Fortunately you have the key one, which is maths.

That alone would meet the requirements for many of those three courses at various unis.

You might not have to do Physics at all. What you need to do is check the degree where you need it.

You then need to consider if you dont need it, then pick a different A level that you can perform better in.

The subjects are good for what you want to do, but there might be even more options as the subject they all want is Maths. Check the entrance requirements. Dont hang onto Physics if you dont have to, especially if you are unsure you can get a good grade.
Thanks for the reply, I have looked at multiple universities and all the economics and computer science based courses are just maths. I have seen at least one university that offers architecture with a maths or further maths a level. I will further look at other universities to have a look and if there are a few that offer without physics the I am open to dropping physics for something new (perhaps economics).
Original post by JakeB57
Thanks for the reply, I have looked at multiple universities and all the economics and computer science based courses are just maths. I have seen at least one university that offers architecture with a maths or further maths a level. I will further look at other universities to have a look and if there are a few that offer without physics the I am open to dropping physics for something new (perhaps economics).

I am pointing this out because I get the feeling you dont want to do Physics and will be weak. That and deciding which course are the issues you have.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
I am pointing this out because I get the feeling you dont want to do Physics and will be weak. That and deciding which course are the issues you have.

Yes, Physics is a lesson in which I dont think i will enjoy and I am currently looking to see if there are a few courses in engineering/architecture too see whether I need physics. This however may end up being irrelevent if i take an economics course. Economics A-level over physics would be great for Economics degree (even though it isnt needed) but I just need to be 100% in case I want to fall back on engineering or architecture
Here's my thing. I want to do aerospace engineering OR economics in the future. I intend to start with maths, physics, chemistry, geography and further maths. If I was to go for each of those, which A Levels would be optimal to do. I do very much intend to take further maths for as long as I can reasonably handle it. Which of the following out of geography and chemistry should I drop to end up with a good set of A Levels for both degree subjects? My probably choices for aerospace are imperial, bristol, southampton, sheffield and surrey university, while Surrey, LSE and Oxford would be on my list for economics. I am aware that Imperial aerospace, LSE economics and to a similar extent oxford economics are insanely competitive. Advice would be greatly appreciated. My predictions are an 8 in maths, an 8 in physics and chemistry (I think i'll actually get a 7) and a 7 in geograph
Original post by JakeB57
Yes, Physics is a lesson in which I dont think i will enjoy and I am currently looking to see if there are a few courses in engineering/architecture too see whether I need physics. This however may end up being irrelevent if i take an economics course. Economics A-level over physics would be great for Economics degree (even though it isnt needed) but I just need to be 100% in case I want to fall back on engineering or architecture

Hence it becomes much simpler if you decide on the course.

yes there are engineering courses without physics although you may need another science. CS may count. You just have to check. U cba checking three courses for you, but my guess is 2 sciences with maths being compulsory. Physics might be second preference with some.

Quick Reply

Latest