The Student Room Group

Mandatory one year military service after end of school

Yes? No? What would be the rules?

I don't see any negative aspects of this idea. The recruited personnel wouldn't be sent to a war zone unless conflict is on our doorstep but would learn skills and gain experience to help them be civic, honourable and reliable.

There'd have to be exclusions for those with health problems or those with responsibilities such as having to care for sickly parents or fulfilling scholarship requirements which prohibit them from serving in the military for a year.

This would have to go hand in hand with other reforms, for example education, so that young persons in an effort to avoid service would enrol onto bogus courses like drama or music for which requirements are lax.

It would also allow people who may be less motivated than others to be a benefit rather than a drag on society to turn their lives around.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope.

Military doesn't want it.
Military can't afford it.

No societal urge for it whatsoever.
You'll need a big magic money tree to pay for it.
We don't need it. No battleships to sail anymore, bud.
Original post by Drewski
Nope.

Military doesn't want it.
Military can't afford it.

No societal urge for it whatsoever.

Saved me the bother.

In a lot of cases [not all] it wont apply to the person proposing it.
Original post by ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°
Yes? No? What would be the rules?

I don't see any negative aspects of this idea. The recruited personnel wouldn't be sent to a war zone unless conflict is on our doorstep but would learn skills and gain experience to help them be civic, honourable and reliable.

There'd have to be exclusions for those with health problems or those with responsibilities such as having to care for sickly parents or fulfilling scholarship requirements which prohibit them from serving in the military for a year.

This would have to go hand in hand with other reforms, for example education, so that young persons in an effort to avoid service would enrol onto bogus courses like drama or music for which requirements are lax.

It would also allow people who may be less motivated than others to be a benefit rather than a drag on society to turn their lives around.

Why is drama or music a bogus course? Do you have the talent to act or play to a high standard?
Do actors or musicians have no purpose or value in a society?
Yes, need not not be military. Put the girls in care homes for instance, boys can do a variety of work where they given some sort of skill but also weapon and drill training.
Original post by Davij038
Yes, need not not be military. Put the girls in care homes for instance, boys can do a variety of work where they given some sort of skill but also weapon and drill training.

Why not put boys in care homes too?
Original post by SHallowvale

He's an outright Nazi.
:yawn:

If they want to sure
Reply 11
in a country like south korea, mandatory military service makes sense due to the threat up north from them and the usa's unlikely military help in case of a dire situation.

but the uk? what threat do we have?
If they want to sure

So why put girls into carer roles but let boys decide what they want to do?
I volunteer at tribute!🙋
So why put girls into carer roles but let boys decide what they want to do?

To reinforce traditional gender roles, which will be useful for when they become wives and eventually mothers 👌🏻

Boys won’t get the much choice either, if it’s any consolation.
Original post by doks
in a country like south korea, mandatory military service makes sense due to the threat up north from them and the usa's unlikely military help in case of a dire situation.

but the uk? what threat do we have?

By “unlikely military help” you mean the Mechanised Infantry Division and four squadrons of fighters and attack planes that have been there for 60 years?
Reply 16
Original post by Trinculo
By “unlikely military help” you mean the Mechanised Infantry Division and four squadrons of fighters and attack planes that have been there for 60 years?

i'm referring more to trump's likeliness not to care as much. ofc the usa would help yet south korea can't rely on them completely either.
Original post by doks
i'm referring more to trump's likeliness not to care as much. ofc the usa would help yet south korea can't rely on them completely either.

If this were the case, North Korea would already have tried to invade.

This kind of thing is gone now anyway. There are enough politicians in the South making massive concessions to the North that all out war is so unlikely. It’s going to be about what the North can get for free from the South going forward without giving up any power
To reinforce traditional gender roles, which will be useful for when they become wives and eventually mothers 👌🏻

Boys won’t get the much choice either, if it’s any consolation.

Lmfao I'm not having kids and I don't plan on becoming a wife, you're just simply sexist.
Original post by Soppphhhie
Lmfao I'm not having kids and I don't plan on becoming a wife.

Unless you have some sort of condition, you’re going to be deeply unhappy then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending