The Student Room Group

Pressured into getting a job before university.

I am hoping to start university in September and have been of since May waiting for my results. I have made it perfectly clear that I don’t want a job now as I am planning on getting one as soon as I move away for university. I having savings so it is not like I am in dyer need of money and I will have more then enough to get me to September.

I don’t know why it is so important that I get one now after all I really don’t have long left until I move away. I do however seem to wonder if my family think I am lazy and just want me to do something or weather they just think I am going to one of those people who never have a job.

It has even gone as far as my family asking people on Facebook with out me even knowing .

I am not dead set against not getting a job I would just rather wait until I move away.

If any one has any advice or thoughts please share .
One thing you should definitely do is have a conversation about this with your family about this. It's not really up to them if you go and get a job
Have you talked with your family about what your plans are? It might be that they are worried that you will not have enough money for uni, or perhaps they think you have nothing to do at summer and want to encourage you to do something?

Do you have any plans between now and September?
I have plenty of money in the bank to last me till I start university and I have talked to them a few times since I have broke up , they just don’t seem to listen . I even get out the house and do stuff with my friends every other day , I just don’t why they keep trying to pressure me
Original post by Average girl
I have plenty of money in the bank to last me till I start university and I have talked to them a few times since I have broke up , they just don’t seem to listen . I even get out the house and do stuff with my friends every other day , I just don’t why they keep trying to pressure me

Do they want you to find work for the money or for work experience? If it is for the work experience, perhaps you could find some volunteering to do instead?
I was going to suggest volunteering too. Even if you only do one morning or afternoon a week, it's still something to put on your CV and will help you when you do start applying for jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending