The Student Room Group

Hard integral

I have this integral and the answer is not the same as on the calculator but im not sure if its right or wrong.
∫1/cos^2(x)(tan^3(x)-tan(x)) . I simplified it down to ∫sin(2x)/cos^2((2x)-1 . I then substituted cos(2x) and the integral came out eventually as (ln(-cot^2(x)))/4
I'm not sure that's right or how to really check it?
Original post by yusyus
I have this integral and the answer is not the same as on the calculator but im not sure if its right or wrong.
∫1/cos^2(x)(tan^3(x)-tan(x)) . I simplified it down to ∫sin(2x)/cos^2((2x)-1 . I then substituted cos(2x) and the integral came out eventually as (ln(-cot^2(x)))/4
I'm not sure that's right or how to really check it?

Given that your answer takes the ln of a negative number, it's not going to be correct. Check for mistakes, and/or post your full working.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Given that your answer takes the ln of a negative number, it's not going to be correct. Check for mistakes, and/or post your full working.

Hi, this is my working I did make a mistake originally but I'm not sure how to check my answer now
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm
Try the substitution u=tanx from the start

ahh, that does seem like a much easier method now, I just want to see if my original method is right though. Thanks!
Original post by yusyus
I just want to see if my original method is right though. Thanks!

Your log manipulation at the end has a rather basic error.

You seem to have done essentially, ln(a-b) = ln(a) - ln(b).

Untitled.jpg
Reply 5
Original post by ghostwalker
Your log manipulation at the end has a rather basic error.

You seem to have done essentially, ln(a-b) = ln(a) - ln(b).

Untitled.jpg

I guess I can blame that on my lack of practice - thanks. Is it right before that point though?
Original post by yusyus
I guess I can blame that on my lack of practice - thanks. Is it right before that point though?

Didn't spot any errors.

As a check, you can differentiate to see if you get back to your original function. Rather tedious in this case; I'd recommend using Wolfram Alpha (just google it). It takes a little while to pick up the syntax/vocab, but worth the effort. Easiest to check out their examples when starting out.

Quick Reply

Latest