The Student Room Group

Female prime ministers

What do you lot think of Margaret Thatcher and Theresa May? Do you think they have made positive change? Do you think having a female prime minister in the future would be a good thing? Why or why not?
I have negative opinions about both of them because of things like poll tax, budget cuts and the Falklands war during Thatcher's time (my friends and her parents HATE her with a burning passion) and Theresa May being like a robot and not doing much good for this country (my friend has a strong opinion about her too as she's very political) in general but the idea of a female prime minister that could positively impact Britain is one I'm on board with, though a good prime minister doesn't depend on their gender identity but their qualities, however it's time we had a good female prime minister.
What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any Prime Minister is going to be viewed negatively, whether male or female, whether Labour or Conservative. It's a poisoned chalice - in that position there's no way you can please everybody.

The sex has no effect.
Original post by Drewski
Any Prime Minister is going to be viewed negatively, whether male or female, whether Labour or Conservative. It's a poisoned chalice - in that position there's no way you can please everybody.

The sex has no effect.

That's true, I mean some people like some and not others like some might like David Cameron but not Theresa May and some may like Theresa May but not David Cameron, or both, or neither (personally neither). I men a you need tough skin in politics because you'll always be criticised but I mean we need a good female prime minister so it doesn't taint people's idea of female prime ministers and show both male and female prime ministers can be good as well as bad.
Reply 3
Original post by Purplemonkeys
we need a good female prime minister so it doesn't taint people's idea of female prime ministers and show both male and female prime ministers can be good as well as bad.

Name a good Prime Minister.
Please try to put your threads in the correct forum.
Original post by Drewski

My boi Attlee
Why is she bad for the Falklands? That was the Argies who started that.
Reply 7
Original post by Volkerbund1933
My boi Attlee

I give you 30 minutes before someone comes along slating him.
What do you lot think of Margaret Thatcher and Theresa May? Do you think they have made positive change? Do you think having a female prime minister in the future would be a good thing? Why or why not?
I have negative opinions about both of them because of things like poll tax, budget cuts and the Falklands war during Thatcher's time (my friends and her parents HATE her with a burning passion) and Theresa May being like a robot and not doing much good for this country (my friend has a strong opinion about her too as she's very political) in general but the idea of a female prime minister that could positively impact Britain is one I'm on board with, though a good prime minister doesn't depend on their gender identity but their qualities, however it's time we had a good female prime minister.
What do you guys think?

Why does the Falklands war, initiated by an invasion from a foreign power, cause you to have a negative opinion of Margaret Thatcher? How does her leadership during this crisis compare to the leadership of a male prime minister e.g. Tony Blair taking our country into a war in Iraq?
Why do you think sex has anything to do with this?

And what exactly do you think was negative about Thatcher's response to the Falklands?
Original post by Drewski

Churchill
Original post by Duncan2012
Why do you think sex has anything to do with this?

And what exactly do you think was negative about Thatcher's response to the Falklands?

No I was just asking for opinions and no I don't I think it's qualities that counts.
The fact that she initiated a war that killed people I mean fair enough so did other prime ministers but there were other negative qualities of her (just as with any prime minister) but there were more with her.
Churchill

The racist, sexist drunk who oversaw alleged war crimes?

Not so much...
The fact that she initiated a war

No she didn't. Galtieri did.
No I was just asking for opinions and no I don't I think it's qualities that counts.
The fact that she initiated a war that killed people I mean fair enough so did other prime ministers but there were other negative qualities of her (just as with any prime minister) but there were more with her.

She didn’t initiate the war, Argentina did that when they invaded Sovergin British territory. It was galiteri like Drewski said.

Churchill went to war and killed lots of innocent Germans...

Your 'argument' is patronising and pathetic. You should go read some decent books on history and stop relying on your friends and her parents to shape your views on the world.
Original post by gdunne42
Why does the Falklands war, initiated by an invasion from a foreign power, cause you to have a negative opinion of Margaret Thatcher? How does her leadership during this crisis compare to the leadership of a male prime minister e.g. Tony Blair taking our country into a war in Iraq?

I never said Tony Blair was good and taking our county to war in Iraq was awful (though I don't remember this because I am only a young teenager with very little political or world awareness however I do know things and have opinions like anyone else). Because she helped the war continue and stuff. Also, surely we're all entitled to our opinions? I respect other people's opinions so I at least expect them to respect mine if that's ok.
Original post by Drewski
The racist, sexist drunk who oversaw alleged war crimes?

Not so much...

Fair enough but you believe there have been no good prime ministers whatsoever?
Original post by Drewski

Lord Palmerston

I never said Tony Blair was good and taking our county to war in Iraq was awful (though I don't remember this because I am only a young teenager with very little political or world awareness however I do know things and have opinions like anyone else). Because she helped the war continue and stuff. Also, surely we're all entitled to our opinions? I respect other people's opinions so I at least expect them to respect mine if that's ok.

But this is the point, you think there can be good and bad and that's an end to it.

This debate is pointless, because there will never be a (positive) universal regard of a PM, whether male or female.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending