The Student Room Group

What are GCSEs and A Levels???

I’m American and I heard A levels are the reciprocal of AP Tests and SAT Level subjects. Is that correct? I still don’t know what GCSEs are though
You can think of them as the equivalent yes. GCSEs are exams that you take when you're 15 or 16 that enable you to take A-Levels and other UK qualifications
Reply 2
Original post by SkyRunner61
You can think of them as the equivalent yes. GCSEs are exams that you take when you're 15 or 16 that enable you to take A-Levels and other UK qualifications

So what could GCSE be equivalent to in American system? ACT? Class grade?
Skyrunner61 is correct, and the grades you get at A Level determine what university and courses you can do. GCSE's now I believe are graded from 9-1 instead of A*-U. I believe a C at GCSE is a pass, and most people try to get at least 5 passes. At GCSE, most students study between 8-11 subjects, whilst at A Level you study 3-4 subjects in much greater detail.
I mean, a C used to be considered a pass. But now there's a bit of confusion on whether a grade 4 or 5 is considered a pass. They say a 4 is a standard pass, whilst a 5 is a good pass.
To confirm what @randomsheep11 said, GCSEs are now graded from 9–1, where a 9 is higher than an A*. Generally if you want to go to a decent university, you need the good pass of a grade 5 for English and Maths. The really good ones tend to ask for a 6 (equivalent to a B) or higher though
Reply 6
To confirm what @randomsheep11 said, GCSEs are now graded from 9–1, where a 9 is higher than an A*. Generally if you want to go to a decent university, you need the good pass of a grade 5 for English and Maths. The really good ones tend to ask for a 6 (equivalent to a B) or higher though

So F.E: I have a 95 on Calculus class. Is that like an A for GCSE for math?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Joservela

I mean...sort of? GCSEs are standard tests for the whole country though, I don't know if your Calculus class is standardised across the states but I have a feeling not so it might not be valued as highly depending on what school you go to

Why are you curious about British secondary school education qualifications?
Reply 8
I mean...sort of? GCSEs are standard tests for the whole country though, I don't know if your Calculus class is standardised across the states but I have a feeling not so it might not be valued as highly depending on what school you go to

Why are you curious about British secondary school education qualifications?

So I was going through International entry requirements for some universities and for Lancaster I saw something like this:
A-Level Requirement: AAB (Which I have, 3 AP’s with 554)

But then I saw this:

GCSE requirement: Grade 6 on Math and Grade 5 on English.

And I didn’t know what those were and I thought I wasn’t gonna meet the entry requirements.
So I was going through International entry requirements for some universities and for Lancaster I saw something like this:

But then I saw this:

And I didn’t know what those were and I thought I wasn’t gonna meet the entry requirements.

I would say that a 95 in Calc class is worth more than a 6 in Math. If you think you wouldn't meet the entry requirements for a university though, the best people to ask about it is the uni admissions staff

But then I saw this:

Basically, a grade 6 is equivalent to a B in the old grading system. A grade 5 is equivalent to a grade C in the old grading system. I'd suggest emailing the university and telling them what qualifications you have. I have emailed many universities about many little enquiries.

The school leaving age in England was (up until a few years ago) 16. GCSEs (General Certificate of Secondary Education) were the final exams you'd take at that age. When I was at school, we had to do GCSEs in Maths, English Language, English Literature, a foreign language, and a science. There were other subjects too; and typically you'd do at least 8 subjects in total. For example, I did Maths, English Language, English Lit, French, German, Latin, Physics, Chemistry and Religious Studies.

Calculus was (and I assume still is) beyond what you'd do at GCSE level.

To get into a sixth-form college (or continue at a school with a sixth form) you'd need 5 or 6 passes at GCSE level. You'd normally need to have at least a pass in English Language and Maths (to show that you met at least a minimum level of literacy and numeracy). Likewise to go to university you'll need passes at GCSE English Language and Maths for the same reason, on top of the A-level exams you take at age 18 (normally 3, sometimes 4 subjects).

For international students, universities should be able to explain what qualifications they consider as equivalent to GCSEs and A-levels. (And note that Scotland, while part of the UK, has its own set of qualifications that are different from GCSEs/A-Levels.)
(edited 5 years ago)

But then I saw this:

Have you looked in detail at Lancaster's requirements for international students?

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/international-qualifications/
Reply 13
Original post by ageshallnot
Have you looked in detail at Lancaster's requirements for international students?

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/international-qualifications/

I have and I meet them. But for Business Economics course it showed that GCSE math and English requirement which I don’t know If I need since I’m not British
General Certificate of Secondary Education (16)
Advanced Levels (18)
I have and I meet them. But for Business Economics course it showed that GCSE math and English requirement which I don’t know If I need since I’m not British

GCSE Maths and English requirements are there to try to ensure basic numeracy and literacy. Your non-AP qualifications should suffice, which is why the above page mentions SATs, high school diplomas etc.

If in any doubt contact the relevant university.

Quick Reply