The Student Room Group

Can't decide between EPQ or a 4th A Level for Medicine

Hey, I have just finished my GCSE's, I have applied to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and EPQ at A Level as I want to study Medicine at Uni, but now I really want to do German as a 4th A Level and drop the EPQ. A lot of people are saying that the EPQ would be better, but does the EPQ actually strengthen your application ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Personally I’d recommend doing the EPQ, there is actually very little advantage to going 4 A levels, as the workload will be immense, and for uni you’ll only ever be asked for 3. It sort of gives you a better chance of getting great grades in the ones you do? Seeing as most places take the 3 best grades. EPQ would be really helpful for medicine, as it gives you a chance to set yourself aside from other applicants, and basically makes your personal statement writing and interviews a whole lot easier, as you’ll have a topic you can talk passionately about, rather than something which has been fed to you on the A level syllabus!
Reply 2
Fourth A Level looks better than an EPQ (a lot of universities don’t even know what an EPQ is, especially outside England!) but it’s also a lot more work and potentially puts more stress on you around exam time.
For medicine, a positive is that it does show off your writing skills and allows you to develop a knowledge of an area of medicine which is not at all covered at school
Bare in mind nearly all medicine candidates have that three-subject combination so either option makes you stand out more
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by anya.apt
Hey, I have just finished my GCSE's, I have applied to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and EPQ at A Level as I want to study Medicine at Uni, but now I really want to do German as a 4th A Level and drop the EPQ. A lot of people are saying that the EPQ would be better, but does the EPQ actually strengthen your application ?

I would go for EPQ, German isn't really relevant and will be a lot more stress during exam time and could take away from your other more important A-Levels. An EPQ can show off independent research skills and analyzing data sometimes which is important at uni. Since you are doing Medicine you will have loads of interviews so having something to talk about outside of competency/skills based questions. I did mine on a more philosophical side of science and it came up in uni interviews a lot and job interviews as well for that matter
Reply 4
Thank you for all your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest