The Student Room Group

French gcse or latin gcse

Guys, I am going into yr 9 and I know what definite topics I am doing: Geography, Spanish and R.E.

But I am stuck on my last GCSE

Latín: My BFF in the whole world is doing it, I want to do it with her and I also find it really easy

French: it will give me more careers than Latin, and I find it easy as well.

Which one is easier? And any thoughts for me. Thanks x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't do a subject just because your friend is doing it! You are much more likely to do well in a subject that you enjoy! So which one out of French or Latin do you enjoy more?
Original post by rm.25
Don't do a subject just because your friend is doing it! You are much more likely to do well in a subject that you enjoy! So which one out of French or Latin do you enjoy more?

Honestly, I enjoy Latin more. But I want more options for my career when I am older. But do you know which one is easier? But of course I would not do a subject because my friend is there, she just struggles in it and. I want to help her.
Original post by SummerTime191
Honestly, I enjoy Latin more. But I want more options for my career when I am older. But do you know which one is easier? But of course I would not do a subject because my friend is there, she just struggles in it and. I want to help her.

Just because your friend struggles in it, it does not mean you have to join the Latin class - you can easily help her outside of class and maybe even study it independently (with the potential - if you can persuade your teachers to do so - to do the exams for it in Year 11). French is a better option in my opinion, as it's more widely used today than Latin, looks better, and - this may not be a very good point, but... - you will probably be able to find more help (eg revision resources) for it.
What exactly is it you want to do in the future? Because latin can be really handy for professions like medicine and law, and can be great for gaining base knowledge for learning pretty much any romance language.
Original post by Sycaphore
Just because your friend struggles in it, it does not mean you have to join the Latin class - you can easily help her outside of class and maybe even study it independently (with the potential - if you can persuade your teachers to do so - to do the exams for it in Year 11). French is a better option in my opinion, as it's more widely used today than Latin, looks better, and - this may not be a very good point, but... - you will probably be able to find more help (eg revision resources) for it.

I’m not going to join it just because my friend struggles, and I don’t want to put extra stress on myself having to do something extra as well as my GCSEs. Okay, thank you for giving me your input, your argument is very wise. 😊
Original post by Abel_Gibbs
What exactly is it you want to do in the future? Because latin can be really handy for professions like medicine and law, and can be great for gaining base knowledge for learning pretty much any romance language.

I want to be a banker and I want to work on the managing international board, but French would be good for this because there are more French-speaking countries than Latin. But I also want to be a doctor as a backup job in case Banking doesn’t work out. But yeah thanks for your input? What would you recommend? 😊
Latin!!!! It’s the best subject

EDIT :

It’s so easy, all you do is learn a few words (like 450 i think) in latin and that’s all you need tbh. Barely need to know any grammar, and the literature culture thing is so easy you hardly need to revise for that.
Latin is more fun than french, and considering you’re already taking spanish latin will help you further with spanish.
And ngl, latin looks amazing on applications
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Purplebottle

Is it an easy A*?
Is it an easy A*?

Definitely, it’s my easiest subject
Reply 10
Guys, I am going into yr 9 and I know what definite topics I am doing: Geography, Spanish and R.E.

Latín: My BFF in the whole world is doing it, I want to do it with her and I also find it really easy

Depends whether you are doing Prose and Verse or the other studies. Latin Language is quite easy, but if you are doing prose and/or verse, be prepared.
French is more useful, but it will be easier to learn French I'm the future if that's what you want to do.

I did both for GCSE! They were both awesome, do you have any questions in particular?

I didn't really find them too difficult. Ancient languages are very different to modern languages so for GCSE Latin you will need to learn set prose and verse texts etc. It's very different to learning a modern language. If you are already doing Spanish then I think learning Latin will help with that and vice versa and I think you are also less likely to get confused between Spanish and Latin than between Spanish and French because you learn completely different things.

I also did German at GCSE and because I was doing 2 modern languages, it seemed like we were always doing the same topics at the same time and it was easier to get confused between those too than with Latin. Latin was a refreshing change. That being said French was also one of my favourite GCSEs and it's a really awesome language!
Original post by Purplebottle

EDIT :

It’s so easy, all you do is learn a few words (like 450 i think) in latin and that’s all you need tbh. Barely need to know any grammar, and the literature culture thing is so easy you hardly need to revise for that.
Latin is more fun than french, and considering you’re already taking spanish latin will help you further with spanish.
And ngl, latin looks amazing on applications

Yes!! Latin GCSE was so easy! The jump to A level scared me though! I think they are making GCSE grammar harder too now:/
Original post by ns_2
Depends whether you are doing Prose and Verse or the other studies. Latin Language is quite easy, but if you are doing prose and/or verse, be prepared.

Oh okay thank you so much x
Original post by YaliaV
French is more useful, but it will be easier to learn French I'm the future if that's what you want to do.

Okay x Thanks for your input x
Original post by niv1234
I did both for GCSE! They were both awesome, do you have any questions in particular?

I didn't really find them too difficult. Ancient languages are very different to modern languages so for GCSE Latin you will need to learn set prose and verse texts etc. It's very different to learning a modern language. If you are already doing Spanish then I think learning Latin will help with that and vice versa and I think you are also less likely to get confused between Spanish and Latin than between Spanish and French because you learn completely different things.

I also did German at GCSE and because I was doing 2 modern languages, it seemed like we were always doing the same topics at the same time and it was easier to get confused between those too than with Latin. Latin was a refreshing change. That being said French was also one of my favourite GCSEs and it's a really awesome language!

Okay x I am very much considering Latin now but as you did Latin and French, which was easier for you? And it’s okay, if you don’t want to tell me, but what grades did you get? Thanks xx 😚
Original post by niv1234
Yes!! Latin GCSE was so easy! The jump to A level scared me though! I think they are making GCSE grammar harder too now:/

Okay, I don’t think I will doing that for A-Level but thanks for the advice xx 😚
Okay x I am very much considering Latin now but as you did Latin and French, which was easier for you? And it’s okay, if you don’t want to tell me, but what grades did you get? Thanks xx 😚

I got A*s in both - I did them in 2016. I think I found Latin easier but I think that was just because of my teachers. I didn't really learn much from my French teacher and Latin was always the one I winged and did well in at GCSE at least.
Original post by niv1234
I got A*s in both - I did them in 2016. I think I found Latin easier but I think that was just because of my teachers. I didn't really learn much from my French teacher and Latin was always the one I winged and did well in at GCSE at least.

Ohhh okay xx Well done! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest