The Student Room Group

Back up to Medicine

What do people put as a back up to medicine as the fifth choice? Please do not put 100% focus of medicine. I am trying to be realistic and want an honest opinion. Thank you.
Original post by MedicProspective
What do people put as a back up to medicine as the fifth choice? Please do not put 100% focus of medicine. I am trying to be realistic and want an honest opinion. Thank you.

I think most people go for biomedical science, with the view to applying for graduate entry.

Some go for other healthcare degrees e.g. radiology, physiotherapy etc.

And some people go for things that are completely unrelated- but your chances of getting in are lower, as obviously you'll have a very medically focused PS.
Reply 2
Original post by MedicProspective

Just as SarcAndSpark said above, most people usually go for something like biomedical science. I didn't put anything down for my fifth choice, I just applied to four medical schools. If I didn't get in, I knew I wouldn't do another course, I knew I'd just reapply the next year. If you are unsuccessful and you're serious about medicine, I would reapply the following year as graduate entry medicine is extremely competitive - even more so than the undergraduate course.
First cycle I put down 4 med schools. Second time around, I applied for Medical Science at Exeter, since there is a possibility of transferring to medicine after year 1. I would reccommend looking for a course like that. Or, if you seriously don't think you'll get the grades, apply for a foundation course.
Original post by Jpw1097
Just as SarcAndSpark said above, most people usually go for something like biomedical science. I didn't put anything down for my fifth choice, I just applied to four medical schools. If I didn't get in, I knew I wouldn't do another course, I knew I'd just reapply the next year. If you are unsuccessful and you're serious about medicine, I would reapply the following year as graduate entry medicine is extremely competitive - even more so than the undergraduate course.

Thank you very much. I wish to apply to medicine and I want to make certain there is a good fall back. But just in case I want to apply for something that allows me to get onto graduate should it not work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending