The Student Room Group

I've finished my A levels. Ask me anything

I took A Level Law, English Language and Business.

Firm offer - AAB
Insurance offer - BBC

AMA
(edited 5 years ago)
Is the jump between gcse and a level really that big?? And do u have any regrets on ur choices?? Also what do you want to do in he future? So many questions lol sorry i just did my gcse’s
Reply 2
Original post by Itsxlexi
Is the jump between gcse and a level really that big?? And do u have any regrets on ur choices?? Also what do you want to do in he future? So many questions lol sorry i just did my gcse’s

Yes, the jump is very big. Prepare yourself for a lot of independent work, revision and stationery shopping lol

Yes, English Language was really hard. So was Business but English Language was harder.

I want to study Law

No, it's fine! :smile: How did your GCSE's go? Would you like to study A levels after your GCSE's?
What is a level English like in comparison to gcse? I didn’t like it at gcse but I heard at a level it’s different?
How are you feeling for results say?
What do you need grades wise?
Do you think you'll make it?
What are you going to do if you don't?
Will you consider resitting a year?
What grades do your firm and insurance require?

How do you really think you have done?

What are you planning to do for the remainder of the summer?
Reply 6
Original post by Basicflamingo
What is a level English like in comparison to gcse? I didn’t like it at gcse but I heard at a level it’s different?

A Level English Language is really hard compared to GCSE. We had to learn about language change (so basically old english), language diversity (age, ethnicity, social class, occupation, social group), World Englishes (Singlish, Chinglish etc) and Child Language Acquisition (how children learn to talk). We had to read transcripts, along with the NEA (coursework) we had to write our own original writing, commentary. We had to write lots of essays, comparing differences and contrasts between two texts (old and modern). So I'd advise even if you did really well in GCSE English like me (A/A*), A Level English is a huge step up.
Reply 7
Original post by MajorFader
What grades do your firm and insurance require?

How do you really think you have done?

What are you planning to do for the remainder of the summer?

Grades are in first post.
Okay, but not as well as I hoped :frown:
Not really sure tbh
Reply 8
Original post by SilverWater
How are you feeling for results say?
What do you need grades wise?
Do you think you'll make it?
What are you going to do if you don't?
Will you consider resitting a year?

Nervous

AAB

No :frown:

Either resit next year, take a gap year, access course or foundation degree

Yes

Original post by kiki213
Grades are in first post.
Okay, but not as well as I hoped :frown:
Not really sure tbh

What course are you doing?

How would you describe your a level journey so far?
Reply 10
Original post by MajorFader
What course are you doing?

How would you describe your a level journey so far?

I'm waiting for my A level results but I am hoping to study Law at uni.

It was pretty stressful. Very emotional. Significantly affected my mental health. 10/10 would do it again though.
Original post by kiki213

Yes, the jump is very big. Prepare yourself for a lot of independent work, revision and stationery shopping lol

Yes, English Language was really hard. So was Business but English Language was harder.

I want to study Law

No, it's fine! :smile: How did your GCSE's go? Would you like to study A levels after your GCSE's?

Thanks! Im dreading independant work cus thats what i struggle with the most 😬 And They were okay :/ im not really confident that i wil meet all my predicted grades cus they r quite high but hopefully i will just get what i need for a levels. Im thinking between psychology sociology chemistry maths and english literature.
Hi, i'm probably quite late but i just want to ask, how did you revise for English Language A level? I also do this and i'm really struggling revising for it, my other subjects are sciences so they are pretty easy to revise for but English has a completely different approach. BTW i hope you achieved the results you wanted !
Original post by icygrl

I want to study Law

Quick Reply

Latest