The Student Room Group

Secular Candidate in Pakistan hounded by mobs for not declaring his religion.

Here are the links before people start asking for them and dismissing the claim:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pakistan-election-independent/rare-secular-candidate-in-pakistan-hounded-by-angry-mobs-idUSKBN1KD1L7?__twitter_impression=true&utm_source=reddit.com

https://www.firstpost.com/world/pakistan-general-election-2018-secular-candidate-jibran-nasir-targeted-by-mobs-for-not-declaring-religion-publicly-4807081.html

One guy who's got the balls to make Pakistan a secular country and this is what he gets thrown with. Nice one.

All that for not declaring his religion as well. Something simple as that.

Scroll to see replies

Unrelated to the event, but

country of 208 million

wtf. Just a decade ago it had 170 million...
Reply 2
Hardly surprising
pakistan is socially extremely backwards
somehow worst than india
economically not great too
they've fked themselves with that CPEC ting
overall just a big L
needs a big reform but the depth of corruption is too much, just like india
its not good
Original post by marupe
Hardly surprising

It isn't is it?

Small beacon of light in Pakistan and boom he's getting shunned.

Looking forward to how people still back this up.
Reply 5
Original post by RickHendricks
It isn't is it?

Small beacon of light in Pakistan and boom he's getting shunned.

Looking forward to how people still back this up.

it'll be ignored of course! Not that I expect people here to be able to do anything about it, but the silence is telling when similar events elsewhere would catch the ire of certain people here...
Secularism is against pakistanis religious and cultural values. This person should go become a politician in the west if he wants to be in a secular society, we do not want people like him.
Original post by zebraguy 20
Secularism is against pakistanis religious and cultural values. This person should go become a politician in the west if he wants to be in a secular society, we do not want people like him.

He is trying to make Pakistan more welcoming to other religions. I don’t see the problem with that ? I understand that most of the Pakistani Christians here have the same values as the Muslims, but do the Muslim candidates really do anything useful ? There are so many so-called Muslim politicians in Pakistan that are regular alcohol drinkers and are corrupt. Just because they plaster the word “Islam” and “Muslims” in their campaigns doesn’t mean they are for the people.
Original post by Ikhan1
He is trying to make Pakistan more welcoming to other religions. I don’t see the problem with that ? I understand that most of the Pakistani Christians here have the same values as the Muslims, but do the Muslim candidates really do anything useful ? There are so many so-called Muslim politicians in Pakistan that are regular alcohol drinkers and are corrupt. Just because they plaster the word “Islam” and “Muslims” in their campaigns doesn’t mean they are for the people.

To make other religions welcome by tarnishing the faith or values of the majority is absurd. It is like if a Muslim tried to become prime minister in england to implement sharia.

The correct solution is to provide better protection for the 3-4% of Pakistanis who identify with other religions. Not to remove Islam from the government.

The wrongs of other politicians does not make this man any better. In fact he is worse. He tries to take away people's Islam, whilst the others just try to take away our money. Religion is the most important thing to a Muslim. We will not become a place like the old Turkey where secularists came to power and banned hijabs and banned the call to the prayer or places like the central asian countries where secularists came to power and once again banned hijabs and banned teaching religion to our children and persecuted and killed those who were religious Muslims.

These secularists come to power with words of love and saying they will protect minorities. They come and then end up persecuting the majority who disagrees with them.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Wahhabism at its finest. Europe and the world should ban the Islamic branch of Wahhabism before it takes over, seriously. It gives Muslims a bad name and it's spread is funded directly by Saudi Arabia. It's an extreme and intolerant form of Islam that most Muslims themselves detest but unfortunately is spreading like wild fire.
Original post by CGSW
Wahhabism at its finest. Europe and the world should ban the Islamic branch of Wahhabism before it takes over, seriously. It gives Muslims a bad name and it's spread is funded directly by Saudi Arabia. It's an extreme and intolerant form of Islam that most Muslims themselves detest but unfortunately is spreading like wild fire.

You are incorrect. Most Pakistanis are not "wahabi" or "salafi. Vast majority of pakistani are braevlis and deobandis.
Reply 11
You are incorrect. Most Pakistanis are not "wahabi" or "salafi. Vast majority of pakistani are braevlis and deobandis.

I didn't say they were; but Wahhabism is spreading rapidly in Pakistan and has a growing number of followers who inject their views into others slowly but surely. Same in Bangladesh: always there under the surface.
Original post by CGSW
I didn't say they were; but Wahhabism is spreading rapidly in Pakistan and has a growing number of followers who inject their views into others slowly but surely. Same in Bangladesh: always there under the surface.

Well you implied they were. This has nothing to do with wahhabism. Pakistani Muslims have always been religious and they would hate this politician regardless of whether wahabbism existed or not. You do not understand Islam or the Muslims from the subcontinent.
The socially conservative group of Pakistan (and India + other countries for that matter) tend to resist change and in Pakistan it is more radical than in other places. If more support for secular and underrepresented parts of society is raised, then the conservatism that stifles Pakistan's cultural progression can be combatted and things like this would not happen

It doesn't matter about people themselves, the government and politics is clearly becoming more influenced by Saudi Wahabbism
Reply 15
Well you implied they were. This has nothing to do with wahhabism. Pakistani Muslims have always been religious and they would hate this politician regardless of whether wahabbism existed or not. You do not understand Islam or the Muslims from the subcontinent.

My Grandmother is a Muslim from Tanzania so I wouldn't say I don't understand Islam.
Original post by Volkerbund1933
It doesn't matter about people themselves, the government and politics is clearly becoming more influenced by Saudi Wahabbism

No that's not true either because in the last decade or so, the subsequent governments have become more liberalised.

Pakistanis tend to be conservative Muslims. That does not mean they are influenced by wahabism.
Original post by CGSW
My Grandmother is a Muslim from Tanzania so I wouldn't say I don't understand Islam.

Your grandmother being Muslim does not automatically give you understanding.
No that's not true either because in the last decade or so, the subsequent governments have become more liberalised.

Pakistanis tend to be conservative Muslims. That does not mean they are influenced by wahabism.

I take back the 'more' bit- put it without noticing (just a habit)

Yes the country has become more westernized but there are some wahabbist elements in Pakistani politics
Your grandmother being Muslim does not automatically give you understanding.

I'm confused by the point you're trying to make here.

Being a secular country =/= eradication of Islam.

It simply brings tolerance of other religions and gives gateway to new improvements, which Pakistan has been lacking with the backwards and corrupt government.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending