The Student Room Group

Uni or not

So im going to study law in uni but really i am interested in starting my own fashion company on the internet. Does anyone know what i should do in terms or getting a job and investing into a business or not? Also does anyone know any manufacturers or how to go about starting
Original post by cmc1634
So im going to study law in uni but really i am interested in starting my own fashion company on the internet. Does anyone know what i should do in terms or getting a job and investing into a business or not? Also does anyone know any manufacturers or how to go about starting

Hi there,

That sounds really exciting. What university are you going to study law at? Its cool that you want to do the fashion company on the side! I know a lot of people who do a similar thing and its a nice little income for them to get them through uni.

At your university you will most likely have a careers and employability centre. They usually have a lot of schemes and funding to help start up businesses as well as contacts to help you too. Ours here at Sheffield Hallam give great support for projects like this and good advice from mentors who keep in touch with you along the way.

Have a look at the uni you are applying to and see if they have similar facilities.

I hope thats useful! Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Chandni
Why can't you start a fashion company after you've gotten your degree?
Original post by X_exceed
Why can't you start a fashion company after you've gotten your degree?

Why wait at all?
Original post by runtime-error
Why wait at all?

Isn't having a law degree just security? What if your fashion company fails?
Isn't having a law degree just security? What if your fashion company fails?

When you're young, you don't need to worry about security.
When you're young, you don't need to worry about security.

Being "young" isn't going to stop you from having to pay off any loans with interest you might have taken. You'll have no qualifications besides A-Levels and so this fashion company is the only thing you've got. It's better in my opinion to have a law degree you can use to work in law if you fail in this company.
You need to speak to universities and careers advisers. At the end of the day, the know the most about this kind of thing and can guide you to where you need to be
Being "young" isn't going to stop you from having to pay off any loans with interest you might have taken. You'll have no qualifications besides A-Levels and so this fashion company is the only thing you've got. It's better in my opinion to have a law degree you can use to work in law if you fail in this company.

The bank isn't even going to allow you to loan a large sum of money with a huge interest. And I wouldn't recommend loaning money from a bank and instead work a part-time job and borrow from friends and family, and then use that money to invest a small amount of money into the company until you can raise money from it - and then invest a larger amount to scale it. You should aim to minimise your loss and keep it low risk.

There was this person on this forum, who bought machines to print his designs on clothes, which was stupid because there was no justifiable reason to do it that way because he doesn't have a large client base to have that decrease production costs and increase profits significantly - he didn't even have clients to begin with. He could outsourced the printing of his designs instead of doing it himself, which would have prevented him losing a couple of grand and instead lose a two digit sum.

And, suppose you do loan money from a bank, it would be irrelevant. You still have the option to go to university to study law, which I would assume would get you to a good, well-paid, stable career (it's law, after all) and allow you to quickly pay that off. Why does starting a company stop you from pursuing law still?

Even if it does fail, you gain a valuable learning experience, which you can write down on your personal statement or CV, or even use to start again.
(edited 5 years ago)
The bank isn't even going to allow you to loan a large sum of money with a huge interest. And I wouldn't recommend loaning money from a bank and instead work a part-time job and borrow from friends and family, and then use that money to invest a small amount of money into the company until you can raise money from it - and then invest a larger amount to scale it. You should aim to minimise your loss and keep it low risk.

There was this person on this forum, who bought machines to print his designs on clothes, which was stupid because there was no justifiable reason to do it that way because he doesn't have a large client base to have that decrease production costs and increase profits significantly - he didn't even have clients to begin with. He could outsourced the printing of his designs instead of doing it himself, which would have prevented him losing a couple of grand and instead lose a two digit sum.

And, suppose you do loan money from a bank, it would be irrelevant. You still have the option to go to university to study law, which I would assume would get you to a good, well-paid, stable career (it's law, after all) and allow you to quickly pay that off. Why does starting a company stop you from pursuing law still?

Even if it does fail, you gain a valuable learning experience, which you can write down on your personal statement or CV, or even use to start again.

You can pursue your business idea, all I'm saying is finish your law degree first since you don't sound very keen on waiting.

Quick Reply

Latest