The Student Room Group

BCC A level grades. INVESTMENT BANking dream gone?

above? I am first year kings college london btw. Is there any job in finance that I can apply to?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
plz help
You’re at kcl but got bcc? Poor trolling
Original post by akbar0123

You beat me to exposing him :smile:
Reply 4
es
Original post by akbar0123

I did a foundation degree. I am not lying. Biomedical sciences
Reply 5
Original post by Econ Juice
You beat me to exposing him :smile:

it's weird that due to other people trolling I am also a troll. I took a level in 2017 and got bcc. I took on a foundation degree and got a distinction in it. Kings have offered me a place for biomedical sciences for this September as a result. I am just wondering whether my A-level results are gonna hold me back for ib internships and finance jobs
Original post by Anonymous
it's weird that due to other people trolling I am also a troll. I took a level in 2017 and got bcc. I took on a foundation degree and got a distinction in it. Kings have offered me a place for biomedical sciences for this September as a result. I am just wondering whether my A-level results are gonna hold me back for ib internships and finance jobs

I'll be honest, simply due to the competition, I can't see you in a job earning £100k with those grades. And let's face it, money is the main reason people go into such sectors.

Wait you're doing biomed but you want to go into investment banking? That doesn't seem like the quickest way to get there...
Reply 8
I'll be honest, simply due to the competition, I can't see you in a job earning £100k with those grades. And let's face it, money is the main reason people go into such sectors.

So they do value a level grades even if I am at a semi-target uni? Is there any less competitive job in finance
So they do value a level grades even if I am at a semi-target uni? Is there any less competitive job in finance

I don't know about finance, but you're up against everyone else at good/top unis who definitely have better grades than you. Put yourself in the shoes of the employer, wouldn't they want to choose the smartest students?
And how is this "smartness" measured? By exam grades! Hence, putting you at a HUGE disadvantage, no matter if you manage to achieve a FIRST or not at KCL.

I'm just being honest with you because I don't want you to make bad decisions and be surprised if things didn't go as you expected them to. I'm sure you could still land a job in IB but you've got to lower your expectations of what type of job you'll do and also what salary you'll get
Original post by arigziegler
Wait you're doing biomed but you want to go into investment banking? That doesn't seem like the quickest way to get there...

Well, I took on science foundation degree but changed my mind. Kings couldn't offer me a maths or economics related degree due to the medical foundation year.
I don't know about finance, but you're up against everyone else at good/top unis who definitely have better grades than you. Put yourself in the shoes of the employer, wouldn't they want to choose the smartest students?
And how is this "smartness" measured? By exam grades! Hence, putting you at a HUGE disadvantage, no matter if you manage to achieve a FIRST or not at KCL.

I'm just being honest with you because I don't want you to make bad decisions and be surprised if things didn't go as you expected them to. I'm sure you could still land a job in IB but you've got to lower your expectations of what type of job you'll do and also what salary you'll get

Yeah, I just know that you have the front office, middle office, etc. Do you think I can apply to any bank? I heard banks have initial UCAS points filters? Any other job suggestions
Well, I took on science foundation degree but changed my mind. Kings couldn't offer me a maths or economics related degree due to the medical foundation year.

I didn't read the part where you said you were doing biomed.
I'm sorry to break it to you but I honestly think you should forget any high-paying IB job.
Chemistry degrees are acceptable, but what skills would you get from Biomed that you could apply/transfer to IB jobs???
There are too many Economics, Mathematics and Computer Science graduates who, even if they don't go to top unis would easily be selected over someone with a Biomed degree.
In my opinion, of course you can. A levels only get you to university, after that they are not needed in practical life, no matter what anyone says. If you want to be an investment banker I suggest you do what is necessary, maybe because your a level grades aren’t that great, take up the offer from kcl (a very good university, great job securing an offer) and aim for a 2:1 or 1st. After you’ve got your undergraduate degree go for the postgraduate degree/course which will take you onto the path you want. Believe in yourself and leave these grades in the past.
I strongly suggest you do an MBA after this degree
I didn't read the part where you said you were doing biomed.
I'm sorry to break it to you but I honestly think you should forget any high-paying IB job.
Chemistry degrees are acceptable, but what skills would you get from Biomed that you could apply/transfer to IB jobs???
There are too many Economics, Mathematics and Computer Science graduates who, even if they don't go to top unis would easily be selected over someone with a Biomed degree.

I don't want a high paying IB job. Just a finance job
I don't want a high paying IB job. Just a finance job

Well I can't help you there buddy. But I wish you the best of luck :smile:
Original post by hello654321
In my opinion, of course you can. A levels only get you to university, after that they are not needed in practical life, no matter what anyone says. If you want to be an investment banker I suggest you do what is necessary, maybe because your a level grades aren’t that great, take up the offer from kcl (a very good university, great job securing an offer) and aim for a 2:1 or 1st. After you’ve got your undergraduate degree go for the postgraduate degree/course which will take you onto the path you want. Believe in yourself and leave these grades in the past.
I strongly suggest you do an MBA after this degree

Thank you. How come websites say otherwise? https://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/190324/good-must-grades-get-job-investment-banking
Reply 17
You'd be better off posting in the IB/finance forum. Your degree won't be a big problem, as long as you can demonstrate key competencies/have some experience, but some places have UCAS point cutoffs which will be a problem. Most don't. Apply for internships this autumn and see how far you can get
You could always study a masters at a targeted uni.

Join the finance and investment society, win whatever competitions there is.

Network.

Gain work experience somehow.

I believe networking is key and then gaining some work experience.

Good luck
You could still hustle your way into it. Chris Gardner and George Soros managed to do so.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending