The Student Room Group

Chemistry Question

Really struggling on some of my chemistry so if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it.

In many reactions, the addition of transition metal ions can speed up the reaction. Why?
Original post by oliviakate15
Really struggling on some of my chemistry so if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it.

In many reactions, the addition of transition metal ions can speed up the reaction. Why?

Transition metals and their compounds can act as great catalysts because of their ability to change and exist in multiple oxidation states. This means there is a transfer of electrons in the reaction which is catalysted by these transition metal compounds which causes the reaction to proceed via an alternative path which requires a lower activation energy which essentially speeds up the reaction because of that.

try this https://sciencing.com/why-are-transition-metals-good-catalysts-12342816.html

The transition metals can act as catalysts because they have several ions, with each ion having a different oxidation state.
Original post by Anonymouspsych
Transition metals and their compounds can act as great catalysts because of their ability to change and exist in multiple oxidation states. This means there is a transfer of electrons in the reaction which is catalysted by these transition metal compounds which causes the reaction to proceed via an alternative path which requires a lower activation energy which essentially speeds up the reaction because of that.

Thank you SOOO much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest