The Student Room Group

When will grade boundaries be available?

Is it the same for all exam boards?

Scroll to see replies

Usually the day of if not slightly before results day, so around the 23rd of August. Would depend on the exam board I imagine
Last year it was the morning of the results day or the day before I think
should be released on results day in the morning.
Officially results day.

Expect them to circulate on Twitter when they are released to centres the day before, as is what happened last year. Particularly because of the hype of the 9-1 sciences I would expect something similar this year.
All UK boards (are supposed to) publish grade boundaries at the same time. When I say all 'UK' boards I am not including Scotland nor Northern Ireland.
Historically, they released them the day before results day up until last year (Summer 2017) when they decided to change it so that they are released on the morning of results day in a bid to "reduce pupil panic" and "promote well-being"
Original post by imnotacat
All UK boards (are supposed to) publish grade boundaries at the same time. When I say all 'UK' boards I am not including Scotland nor Northern Ireland.
Historically, they released them the day before results day up until last year (Summer 2017) when they decided to change it so that they are released on the morning of results day in a bid to "reduce pupil panic" and "promote well-being"

So basically you could've just said 'English and Welsh boards...' instead?
Original post by imnotacat

If they really wanted to promote well-being and reduce pupil panic they shouldnt have changed the GCSEs and introduced the 9-1 system so people arent worried about whether 20 god damn percent is a pass
On results day. As _gcx said, I presume there will be 1 or 2 leaks for core subjects.
Original post by Switch01
If they really wanted to promote well-being and reduce pupil panic they shouldnt have changed the GCSEs and introduced the 9-1 system so people arent worried about whether 20 god damn percent is a pass

AGREED
its usually 8am on results day. i'd check the exam board websites but that's what it was last year
Original post by Switch01

They introduced the 9-1 system to enable the top achievers to achieve even more. Why should someone getting consistent A*'s be fixed to that when they can push themselves to do even better? Don't forget that there are a few more attainable grades with the 9-1 system, hence a C could be considered a 5 OR a 6...

It literally has nothing to to with well-being and panic - only you can have poor well-being and do nothing but panic all because of '20 God damn percent'. Maybe if you kept your calm and strived for success, which is what pretty much every college/university/workforce wants nowadays, you wouldn't be complaining about the new system and instead you'd be seeing the advantages of it.
Original post by Kian Stevens
a C could be considered a 5 OR a 6...

A C is a 4 or a low 5.
Original post by Compost
A C is a 4 or a low 5.

My mistake. I'm not very used to the specific boundaries since I've never used them.
Original post by Skeletonclique21
its usually 8am on results day. i'd check the exam board websites but that's what it was last year

Yeah it is for aqa, and for edexcel and ocr 6am.
Original post by dvx
On results day. As _gcx said, I presume there will be 1 or 2 leaks for core subjects.

Maybe the day before but not on the day itself as that's when the boundaries are released so it would be pointless as it would literally only be a few hours before it's available
Original post by Kian Stevens
They introduced the 9-1 system to enable the top achievers to achieve even more. Why should someone getting consistent A*'s be fixed to that when they can push themselves to do even better? Don't forget that there are a few more attainable grades with the 9-1 system, hence a C could be considered a 5 OR a 6...

It literally has nothing to to with well-being and panic - only you can have poor well-being and do nothing but panic all because of '20 God damn percent'. Maybe if you kept your calm and strived for success, which is what pretty much every college/university/workforce wants nowadays, you wouldn't be complaining about the new system and instead you'd be seeing the advantages of it.

Yeah so it's not going to be a good thing for the remaining 93% of people since with the old spec around 7% got an A*, or the remaining 97% won't either, as grade 9 is higher than an A* so they expect 3% of people to get a 9.
They would release a day before results day
Reply 18
The grade boundaries for physics will be... Interesting. :colone:
Original post by princess770
They would release a day before results day

No, it's on the day of results day. ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest