The Student Room Group

Have Gender and Sexual Identities gone too far?

I have always been supportive of those that don't identify as cis-male or cis-female and people of different sexual orientations as well. Myself being Biromantic already puts me in a minority and other sexualities seem more interesting to me.

However I have been talking to someone for the last week about this and have started to see people take it too far and give credit to those that say this is all just personality rather than real identities and orientations.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bio 7
I have always been supportive of those that don't identify as cis-male or cis-female and people of different sexual orientations as well. Myself being Biromantic already puts me in a minority and other sexualities seem more interesting to me.

However I have been talking to someone for the last week about this and have started to see people take it too far and give credit to those that say this is all just personality rather than real identities and orientations.

I'm not sure if people 'invent' new genders and whatever for attention or for the fact they actually feel that way, the same with sexual identities, I've seen a video of someone who says that they are only attracted to Robots; BS!
I would hope that people aren’t making it up for fun, my own identity as just a bi person has caused a lot of difficulties. I tend to err on the side of accepting whatever someone’s told me and referring to them the way they want me to, since it’s not much effort and doesn’t cause anyone any harm. I draw the line for identity at transracial and transabled though
Well when you hear about people being attracted to train stations, yes I do think it has gone too far.
The whole gender identity situation has become a complete disaster as new sexual and gender identities are created seemingly at random as people are thinking “which very strange and specific part of my personality can exploit to seem cool and unique”. These stupid “transtrenders” just want to destroy cultural norms (heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual and to an extent asexual and transgender) in order to suit their awful liberal agenda.
Reply 5
i think when people say gender is personality what they mean is gender expression and if you exhibit stereotypical male traits or female traits.

i think it's hard for some people to accept the gender spectrum because those who identify as non-binary look weird. they don't look male or female, they have weird haircuts and colours. then those against their expression think their are 'doing it for attention', forgetting we all do things for attention and have been seeking attention since birth. i think there's always been non-binary people, it's just that we used to call it different things like 'grunge'.

the other problem is fear-mongering and the fact everyone wants to feel persecuted nowadays. somehow non-gender conforming individuals are a threat to them, otherwise why not live and let live?
Reply 6
I don't think the problem is with the identitys themselves but with the people who are desperate to have an identity for everything they feel.
Many sexualities and gender identities are typically straight and/or cis people who want to join in with the LGBT 'trend.'
And it's just sad that being an Ally isn't enough for people anymore, they have to be erasing and delegitmising LGBT people just to try and be apart of it.
The appearance that it's gone too far comes from absolute jizzrags declaring they identify as a chest of drawers or an Boeing AH-64 helicopter to try and ridicule people for not conforming to their "muh chromosomes" worldview. Not from actual people trying to find who they are and their place in the world
Reply 8
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
The appearance that it's gone too far comes from absolute jizzrags declaring they identify as a chest of drawers or an Boeing AH-64 helicopter to try and ridicule people for not conforming to their "muh chromosomes" worldview. Not from actual people trying to find who they are and their place in the world

That is a part of it, but I'm seeing too many different sexuality terms and gender identities that it does seem some people are taking this too far and discrediting those that are genuine.
Learning about these labels helps people normalise themselves. While it feels unnecessary when someone lists five-six different things to describe their romantic and sexual preferences, by being able to put a label to it people realise they're not alone. When your sexual/romantic preferences (or lack thereof) seem to not match the norm you feel as if you're broken and an outcast because being in a heteronormative relationship just doesn't work for you. You can be straight and there still be this wall there that just seems to prevent you having what is perceived to be a normal sexual relationship with someone. While it reads as a little silly discovering that there is a word for how you're feeling just takes a huge weight off your shoulders and makes you feel like a normal human being.
Reply 10
What constitutes a 'real' identity?
Reply 11
It has become ridiculous now, there are only 2 genders whether you like it or not.

You are either born a male, or a female. Whether your body agrees with it and you think you should have been the opposite sex then that's a different thing. But you can't be both, I see a lot of "they's" around. That's just them making **** up, you're either male or female. That's the only possible thing you could have been. Your personality isn't your gender, that's what people get mixed up. The way you act is nothing to do with what you "identify" as..

I have nothing against people who wish to change gender or whatever but everyone else that identifies as 'im neither gender' or idk as a ****ing lampost or something, then that's ridiculous.
Reply 12

And then...

Original post by Wizbe
It has become ridiculous now, there are only 2 genders whether you like it or not.

You are either born a male, or a female. Whether your body agrees with it and you think you should have been the opposite sex then that's a different thing. But you can't be both, I see a lot of "they's" around. That's just them making **** up, you're either male or female. That's the only possible thing you could have been. Your personality isn't your gender, that's what people get mixed up. The way you act is nothing to do with what you "identify" as..

I have nothing against people who wish to change gender or whatever but everyone else that identifies as 'im neither gender' or idk as a ****ing lampost or something, then that's ridiculous.

:laugh:
I think the main problem is that the feminist movement and manipulative media have begun brainwashing those that aren’t sure where they fit into society into thinking that all their personality quirks and sexual preferences deserve labels. It’s getting so far out of hand that we’ve got these tri gendered weirdos believing anything that goes against their perceived notion of “true expression” is now offensive and wrong.

The day being heterosexual becomes strange is the day society collapses entirely (nothing against gay, bi or ace people). Being a straight cisgendered person should always be the cultural norm, -although the preferences stated above are okay in my opinion-, as “heteronormativity” is rooted in nature.
(edited 5 years ago)
it went too far the moment people started believing the mentally ill.

EDIT: In my opinion 😊
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Bio 7

Because it is...gender is nothing but personality. All those non-binary people are the worst. Oh no I don't feel like what I think man/woman stands for. They don't break the binary they enforce it. They define the binary and then say they are outside of it. Not conforming to gender stereotype is great, but it doesn't actually make you a different gender. Having short hair (and oh my god so often dyed in some way) and not wearing make up and dresses doesn't mean you aren't a woman...
Original post by Joleee
i think when people say gender is personality what they mean is gender expression and if you exhibit stereotypical male traits or female traits.

i think it's hard for some people to accept the gender spectrum because those who identify as non-binary look weird. they don't look male or female, they have weird haircuts and colours. then those against their expression think their are 'doing it for attention', forgetting we all do things for attention and have been seeking attention since birth. i think there's always been non-binary people, it's just that we used to call it different things like 'grunge'.

the other problem is fear-mongering and the fact everyone wants to feel persecuted nowadays. somehow non-gender conforming individuals are a threat to them, otherwise why not live and let live?

But that's exactly the point. Just because you don't conform to gender stereotypes and don't look male/female, doesn't mean you are not.

Imagine if back in the day punks or goths or whatever grouped had claimed they were a gender because they 'identify' as whatever. It's ludicrous, and it's millennial indulgence propagated by social media where you can get 'likes' and other instant gratification and support for being different. There are plenty of examples of people who "come out" as trans because it gives them attention. It's ludicrous.

Or people they are declaring they are female or male when they are very clearly not.
Original post by Big_Daymo
I think the main problem is that the feminist movement and manipulative media have begun brainwashing those that aren’t sure where they fit into society into thinking that all their personality quirks and sexual preferences deserve labels. It’s getting so far out of hand that we’ve got these tri gendered weirdos believing anything that goes against their perceived notion of “true expression” is now offensive and wrong.

The day being heterosexual becomes strange is the day society collapses entirely (nothing against gay, bi or ace people). Being a straight cisgendered person should always be the cultural norm, -although the preferences stated above are okay in my opinion-, as “heteronormativity” is rooted in nature.

This has nothing to do with "feminism" per se. With liberalism, and libfems are part of that. But no more. Radfems oppose "gender identity" as a concept (r/gendercritical).
Original post by yudothis
But that's exactly the point. Just because you don't conform to gender stereotypes and don't look male/female, doesn't mean you are not.

Imagine if back in the day punks or goths or whatever grouped had claimed they were a gender because they 'identify' as whatever. It's ludicrous, and it's millennial indulgence propagated by social media where you can get 'likes' and other instant gratification and support for being different. There are plenty of examples of people who "come out" as trans because it gives them attention. It's ludicrous.

Exactly, we shouldn’t praise these people for being “brave and beautiful” just for claiming to be something that doesn’t even exist. These people seem like clowns that got amnesia and became convinced they should act this way 😆

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending