The Student Room Group

Rigevidon vs Microgynon

Hello, I have read numerous threads about Rigevidon and Microgynon and I have had issues with Rigevidon and have done some research between the 2 and studied some science papers (I have a science degree). I have been taking Rigevidon for 3 months for the first month and a half I was totally fine on it but about 2 weeks ago I started suffering with side effects, excess sweating, bloating, headaches, dizzy spells, nausea, anxiety, mood swings etc. I quickly worked out that this pill was causing all of this. My withdrawal bleed came and it was equally as painful as when I wasn't on the pill except I had much worse PMS. I have read all the threads and forums and decided to try Microgynon. I used Lloyds Pharmacy's Online Doctor told them about my symptoms they said they are aware of the issues surrounding Rigevidon and the petitions to get it removed and they confessed that not many women can tolerate it and they concluded the pill was causing all of these effects.

Today I went to pick up my Microgynon. I told the pharmacist I was previously on Rigevidon she looked at me in horror. When I got home I studied the ingredients list and THERE ARE DIFFERENCES. I then did some research of my own on the different ingredients. I thought people would be interested in my findings as so many have issues with this pill and so many are brushed off by being told they are exactly the same THEY ARE NOT!!! Below is what I found:-

Colloidal Anhydrous Silica (not in Microgynon) this mineral has safety concerns as due to the formation of its particles it can get passed the blood/brain barrier and affect the brain which would explain the numerous reports of strokes,migraines and blood clots. It is also commonly used in PESTICIDES!!!

Lactose Monohydrate 33MG (differs to Microgynon) this can cause bloating which is one of the things I have suffered with since taking this pill.

Copovidone (not in Microgynon) it can have an effect on serotonin levels and is mainly used in anxiety and anti depression treatments. It can cause heart palpitations, excess sweating, dizziness, fatigue, sleeplessness and a stuffy nose. (majoritiy of these I have experienced on Rigevidon).

Carmellose Sodium (not in Microgynon) is mainly used in eye drops and to treat eye problems. It can cause headaches, sore eyes, blurred vision and an optician would advise you to immediately stop taking it if you experience these things. I have read quite a few reports of people complaining of eyesight issues and headaches. I have suffered with bad headaches and I don't usually.

So ladies, the hormones may be exactly the same but the other constituents of the tablet are not and they have side effects too!! I haven't started taking Microgynon yet so I will keep you updated on how I get on with it. But if you have experienced any of these things when switching to Rigevidon it could be caused by these ingredients. Don't be palmed off if your GP is being particularly awkward about it you can easily purchase it from Lloyds Pharmacy its £10 for 3 months and very simple to do and you can be sure you stay on Microgynon.

I hope you find this information useful its a horrible pill that shouldn't be prescribed and THEY ARE NOT EXACTLY THE SAME!!! There is a reason so many people find a difference and that its cheaper.

Scroll to see replies

This is a great insight. I personally have been taking Microgynon for about 3.5 months and have had very very few side effects. Hopefully you have a better experience with that one - apparently a lot of women tolerate it well.
Thank you for this! When I first starting taking the pill I took microgynon for 3 months, and then I was switched to levest because it is cheaper for the past roughly 2 years. Having recently moved house and changed doctors, I was changed to rigevidon, again because it is cheaper and the standard for the practise. I have only been taking it for 2 months, but for the entire two months I have been slowly falling apart, just heart palpitations, dizziness, mood swings etc. I just about convinced myself it wasn't just a bad couple of weeks and I might actually have anxiety, but then I saw all the threads about similar experiences after switching to Rigevidon. I never thought it could be the pill, because I thought they were the same thing just in different packaging, but I was starting to think it's maybe just something in the sugar coating or something and every time I tried to google it I could never find any papers or full ingredients lists, just website articles saying they are the same because of the two hormones. I just thought I was falling apart, and it was driving me crazy trying to figure out why, because before this I was so happy! I started a PhD in October, and in April I moved down to Oxford to join a new lab, where the science and expertise is amazing, and everything I try works first time,and everyone is friendly and helpful. It's also a beautiful area, and at the end of the summer my boyfriend of 3 years is going to move down and we'll get to move in together. Everything in my life is so perfect, and I was still falling apart and I couldn't figure out why. I know this is about Microgynon and not levest, but just knowing that there are differences between the brands makes me feel so much less crazy for suspecting it might be the pill. This also fits with my eyes have been more sore and dry lately, which I just put down to probably needing new glasses soon, but maybe it is this, and I can just switch back to Levest or something else and everything will be ok again, which is an amazing thought.
Original post by Eukaryacrapulent
Thank you for this! When I first starting taking the pill I took microgynon for 3 months, and then I was switched to levest because it is cheaper for the past roughly 2 years. Having recently moved house and changed doctors, I was changed to rigevidon, again because it is cheaper and the standard for the practise. I have only been taking it for 2 months, but for the entire two months I have been slowly falling apart, just heart palpitations, dizziness, mood swings etc. I just about convinced myself it wasn't just a bad couple of weeks and I might actually have anxiety, but then I saw all the threads about similar experiences after switching to Rigevidon. I never thought it could be the pill, because I thought they were the same thing just in different packaging, but I was starting to think it's maybe just something in the sugar coating or something and every time I tried to google it I could never find any papers or full ingredients lists, just website articles saying they are the same because of the two hormones. I just thought I was falling apart, and it was driving me crazy trying to figure out why, because before this I was so happy! I started a PhD in October, and in April I moved down to Oxford to join a new lab, where the science and expertise is amazing, and everything I try works first time,and everyone is friendly and helpful. It's also a beautiful area, and at the end of the summer my boyfriend of 3 years is going to move down and we'll get to move in together. Everything in my life is so perfect, and I was still falling apart and I couldn't figure out why. I know this is about Microgynon and not levest, but just knowing that there are differences between the brands makes me feel so much less crazy for suspecting it might be the pill. This also fits with my eyes have been more sore and dry lately, which I just put down to probably needing new glasses soon, but maybe it is this, and I can just switch back to Levest or something else and everything will be ok again, which is an amazing thought.

I’ve been off Rigevidon for just over a week and my symptoms have been fading fast I feel like such a different person back to my self. I was a mess. It feel so good to be off them I’d rather suffer with my endometriosis than take those pills.
Original post by independentx
This is a great insight. I personally have been taking Microgynon for about 3.5 months and have had very very few side effects. Hopefully you have a better experience with that one - apparently a lot of women tolerate it well.

I am due to take my first Microgynon this evening. My mum was on it for her endometriosis years ago and she said it worked wonders for her I have suspected endometriosis so hoping it will do the same for me.
Original post by Jen12394
I am due to take my first Microgynon this evening. My mum was on it for her endometriosis years ago and she said it worked wonders for her I have suspected endometriosis so hoping it will do the same for me.

Hopefully it works wonders for you too! I have found that it's reduced period pain for me a lot too. :smile:
I am so grateful for this post and a dose of scientific insight to it. The doctors fobbed me off so many times with Rigevidon. And prior to being changed to it, I had successfully taken Microgynon 30 for 10 years. With no side effects! Then weird symptoms came after taking Rigevidon. I was struggling to find some scientific input into why this is the case. And was treated as if I was making eth up. Well, your post will help me immensely in persuading them to put me back on Microgynon 30. Thank you so much !!!
I was on Rigevidon for at least a year and a half. The first two doctors I complained to told me there was no link between Rigevidon and depression and anxiety - despite it being right there on the side effects list. It wasn't until I confessed to a third doctor that I had come close to throwing myself off the balcony of my flat that someone finally acknowledged that they were aware of a link between the drug and mental health/instability and insisted I stop using it immediately.

I've been taking Cilest for a couple of years now with the only side effect being increased appetite/cup size/weight gain. It's a better trade off. Although mental health is still an issue, but I've no idea is that related or not. My doctor doesn't think so anyway. :dontknow:
Also another thing I have found out is that 2nd generation pills such as Microgynon are much safer than 3rd gen pills such as Rigevidon which are much more likely to cause clots and all kinds of nasty things. Why doctors are prescribing it is beyond me. I also found a forum where one woman was rushed into hospital and in A&E they refuse to give Rigevidon out only Microgynon.
Microgynon is amazing for periods but I have very bad light headedness!
I heard that microgynon was going to stop being produced, which is why people are having to take alternatives. Not sure how true this is but I’ve read it in several places
It isn’t going to stop being produced it’s just Rigevidon is new and cheaper and doctors are pressured to hand out the newer pills . They say it’s hard to get hold of yet if you pay for it it’s easy to get hold of .
Original post by Maryam.hannah
I heard that microgynon was going to stop being produced, which is why people are having to take alternatives. Not sure how true this is but I’ve read it in several places
Know thread's gone quiet but wanted to add NHS now "script switching" people automatically from microgynon to rigevidon without notice - my doctor switched it back on request (though I didn't notice until after I'd left appointment) but tried telling me it was "identical" - grateful to OP for confirmation that this was not the case; seemed unlikely.

Had dreadful experiences previously (with the rightly maligned Yasmin) so not at all okay with medication being summarily changed.

(Also good to know I can buy over counter if it comes to it!)
Hi guys so I’ve been taking Microgynon for over 2 months at this point I was dreadful on Rigevidon. I have had none of these horrible symptoms at all on Microgynon. I went to my local walk in clinic to try and get it on the NHS she gave me the talk about them being indentical. I showed her different and she went silent then told me they don’t stock Microgynon anymore and can’t order it in specifically. Back to Lloyd’s Pharmacy to buy it then. Cheap and hassle free and guaranteed a pill that works.
Reply 14
Original post by Jen12394
Hi guys so I’ve been taking Microgynon for over 2 months at this point I was dreadful on Rigevidon. I have had none of these horrible symptoms at all on Microgynon. I went to my local walk in clinic to try and get it on the NHS she gave me the talk about them being indentical. I showed her different and she went silent then told me they don’t stock Microgynon anymore and can’t order it in specifically. Back to Lloyd’s Pharmacy to buy it then. Cheap and hassle free and guaranteed a pill that works.
I’ve been on Microgynon for so many years and no issues. Then had to switch to this stupid Rigevidon and everything started from there. Felt depressed and anxious, which for me was new! Went to docs and nothing was found. I knew something wasn’t right as I couldn’t switch the switch in my head. Took this *****y pill for 3 years now thinking i need help eventually and saw this link thanks to a tv programme and omg did that open my eyes. Stopped taking it and feel like myself again but somehow now after two months off i got some things going on as in burning mouth, dry/burning skin and eyes. Tongue is very read at the tip and taste is just weird. Went to GP and asked if it could be hormonal imbalance as I’ve stopped taking the pill. He isn’t sure, so wants bloods tested but I had them checked two months ago anyway🙄I reckon it could be my body adjusting. In the meantime I’m trying to get Microgynon prescribed again but don’t know how hard that will be. Can you really buy it over the counter at Lloyd’s?
Original post by Lysi82
I’ve been on Microgynon for so many years and no issues. Then had to switch to this stupid Rigevidon and everything started from there. Felt depressed and anxious, which for me was new! Went to docs and nothing was found. I knew something wasn’t right as I couldn’t switch the switch in my head. Took this *****y pill for 3 years now thinking i need help eventually and saw this link thanks to a tv programme and omg did that open my eyes. Stopped taking it and feel like myself again but somehow now after two months off i got some things going on as in burning mouth, dry/burning skin and eyes. Tongue is very read at the tip and taste is just weird. Went to GP and asked if it could be hormonal imbalance as I’ve stopped taking the pill. He isn’t sure, so wants bloods tested but I had them checked two months ago anyway🙄I reckon it could be my body adjusting. In the meantime I’m trying to get Microgynon prescribed again but don’t know how hard that will be. Can you really buy it over the counter at Lloyd’s?

Yes you can. Go on Lloyd’s Pharmacy Online Doctor. Create an account purchase the pill, there will be a questionnaire and a doctor will email you. They’ll approve the prescription and you can pick it up at your nearest pharmacy the same/ following day. The test your blood pressure when you get there. It’s £10 for 3 months supply. It’s really simple. I’ve been on mcrigynon for months now and i’m great on it.
Hi!
I thought I would make a post on here to reassure girls who came to the student room for advice before starting hormonal contraception!
Of course, like any hormonal treatments, everybody responds differently and this is my personal experience.
Firstly, I got the implant which is progesterone only. It sounded great since it covers you from pregnancy for 3 years, you don't have to worry about taking a pill and works for 1/3 women, however, I was one of the unfortunate women who this didn't work for. I had constant bleeding and crazy mood swings which I had been fortunate to never have before. After 3 months of being on the implant, which is the minimum amount of time which they recommend you try the implant, I decided that I need to get it out. I tried taking the combined pill simultaneously to stop the bleeding but this only made me feel very poorly. However, for having the implant in for such a short period of time, they put up a fight in taking it out. It took 4 different appointments and 2 different doctors. Finally, I had it out and my moods went back to normal and I felt like myself again! After this, I realized how depressed I felt whilst on the implant.
Anyway, I gave it a month and then went back to the doctors to ask for the pill. Of course, I said that I doubt the mini pill will work for me since it is progesterone only, like the implant. The lady prescribed me rigevidon. I hid some research once I got the pill and looked on many forums where all I could see were negative reviews which made me very worried. I was hesitant to begin the pill but I did so anyway. I have almost finished my first pack which is not a very long time to judge side effects from, but so far I can say it has been amazing! I used to suffer from a few spots which have mainly disappeared, my moods have been fine and I haven't felt moody or down, maybe a little too chilled out at times. Overall, I can say that Rigevidon has worked for me and my friend has had no issues on it either. I plan to keep on using it and it may be the one for me. I hope this has reassured anyone who has been hesitant to start taking the pill. Sometimes it takes trial and error until you find the one for you.
Hi! I totally agree with you in that everybody responds differently to different method and its great you have found a method that works for you. However I think you have misunderstood the purpose of this thread. It is a comparison between 2 specific pills. I personally was on Rigevidon for over 3 months with no issues so it took me a while to work out it was this pill making me extremely unwell. There have been numerous threads on forums about this pill and protests on Change.org people have died from it and on a recent tv show it was rated the most dangerous pill on the market.
Many women have been palmed off and healthcare professionals state it is the same as other pills out there (Microgynon) when in fact it is not. Which is what the OP has explained. I think the purpose of this thread is to help those who have been switched to Rigevidon and have had problems ever since. This thread isn't to put anybody off taking hormonal contraception it has helped me a lot it is to encourage women to not allow themselves to be palmed off if a method doesn't work for them. I hope you get on with Rigevidon when I read about all the people who have died from this specific pill I flushed all mine down the toilet. Not all pills are bad but this one is for thousands and thousands of women its generally poorly tolerated.

Original post by Anonymous
Hi!
I thought I would make a post on here to reassure girls who came to the student room for advice before starting hormonal contraception!
Of course, like any hormonal treatments, everybody responds differently and this is my personal experience.
Firstly, I got the implant which is progesterone only. It sounded great since it covers you from pregnancy for 3 years, you don't have to worry about taking a pill and works for 1/3 women, however, I was one of the unfortunate women who this didn't work for. I had constant bleeding and crazy mood swings which I had been fortunate to never have before. After 3 months of being on the implant, which is the minimum amount of time which they recommend you try the implant, I decided that I need to get it out. I tried taking the combined pill simultaneously to stop the bleeding but this only made me feel very poorly. However, for having the implant in for such a short period of time, they put up a fight in taking it out. It took 4 different appointments and 2 different doctors. Finally, I had it out and my moods went back to normal and I felt like myself again! After this, I realized how depressed I felt whilst on the implant.
Anyway, I gave it a month and then went back to the doctors to ask for the pill. Of course, I said that I doubt the mini pill will work for me since it is progesterone only, like the implant. The lady prescribed me rigevidon. I hid some research once I got the pill and looked on many forums where all I could see were negative reviews which made me very worried. I was hesitant to begin the pill but I did so anyway. I have almost finished my first pack which is not a very long time to judge side effects from, but so far I can say it has been amazing! I used to suffer from a few spots which have mainly disappeared, my moods have been fine and I haven't felt moody or down, maybe a little too chilled out at times. Overall, I can say that Rigevidon has worked for me and my friend has had no issues on it either. I plan to keep on using it and it may be the one for me. I hope this has reassured anyone who has been hesitant to start taking the pill. Sometimes it takes trial and error until you find the one for you.
Hi! I totally agree with you in that everybody responds differently to different method and its great you have found a method that works for you. However I think you have misunderstood the purpose of this thread. It is a comparison between 2 specific pills. I personally was on Rigevidon for over 3 months with no issues so it took me a while to work out it was this pill making me extremely unwell. There have been numerous threads on forums about this pill and protests on Change.org people have died from it and on a recent tv show it was rated the most dangerous pill on the market.
Many women have been palmed off and healthcare professionals state it is the same as other pills out there (Microgynon) when in fact it is not. Which is what the OP has explained. I think the purpose of this thread is to help those who have been switched to Rigevidon and have had problems ever since. This thread isn't to put anybody off taking hormonal contraception it has helped me a lot it is to encourage women to not allow themselves to be palmed off if a method doesn't work for them. I hope you get on with Rigevidon when I read about all the people who have died from this specific pill I flushed all mine down the toilet. Not all pills are bad but this one is for thousands and thousands of women its generally poorly tolerated.

Ah yes I do understand. This was the first thread that came up when I searched rigevidon so I thought I would just post it here. I'll find another thread.
Yes, I have heard awful things come from this pill which is worrying yet I suppose all medication can have severe risks. As it is one of the most commonly used since the NHS prescribe it by default, more women may have tried the pill over others and therefore more have had bad side effects. If there is a serious issue which is life threatening to many then I hope research is put into this as dying from contraception is awful! I hope I don't come to regret this post!
Ah yes I do understand. This was the first thread that came up when I searched rigevidon so I thought I would just post it here. I'll find another thread.
Yes, I have heard awful things come from this pill which is worrying yet I suppose all medication can have severe risks. As it is one of the most commonly used since the NHS prescribe it by default, more women may have tried the pill over others and therefore more have had bad side effects. If there is a serious issue which is life threatening to many then I hope research is put into this as dying from contraception is awful! I hope I don't come to regret this post!

I was on it for 2 months and I felt amazing then I took a bad turn all of a sudden. Women have been on Microgynon for years with no problems and have been switched to Rigevidon and been told they are the same. They experience all kinds of nasty symptoms yet because the hormones in the 2 are the same they won’t switch people back. I know a doctor who works in A&E and he said he refuses to prescribe Rigevidon to anyone. After doing some research of my own I just wanted to get off it regardless and within a week I felt OK again. Microgynon is a far nicer pill.

Quick Reply

Latest